1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Mousasi wants to move up to LHW to fight for the belt

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by tehMoose, Nov 19, 2020.

1. tehMoose The slayer of ufc shills

2. lukeuidswords Black Belt

Phil Davis has the next shot but after that could work. These matchups really speak to the absolute dearth of anyone interesting at middleweight

stinkynecklace and HaulParris like this.
  3. rob mafia Silver Belt

lolz, i'm surprised he doesn't just skip over 205 for hw. basically the same thing for bellator.

4. careto Black Belt

I would much rather see Nemkov vs Davis II, then Nemkov vs Corey. At MW Mousasi vs Salter, then Mousasi vs Tokov. If they both come out on top then yes, that makes sense. If not it will just stall the MW division, Vanderford will be making a titlerun by that time so that could be another good match up for Mousasi.

5. tehMoose The slayer of ufc shills

Moose said in another interview that he wants Salter first and a boxing fight if it's possible. After that Nemkov

6. careto Black Belt

If its only going to be one title fight before boxing and facing Nemkov then I hope that title fight is against Tokov. That would be the more competitive fight. Salter deserves the shot but he wont be anywhere near to beating Mousasi. Tokov has a better chance and would make for a more compelling fight and storyline if he were to face Nemkov eventually.

7. Hellowhosthat If he dies he dies

I can't get interested at all in Moose Vs Salter, I don't think Salter is a challenge at all.

TheRealWill likes this.
  8. lukeuidswords Black Belt

Nemkov is the #1 LHW in the sport and totally outclassed Bader so not entirely

CinemaKingdom likes this.
  9. tehMoose The slayer of ufc shills

Well, Moose plans to fight 5 times in the next 2 years. Maybe more, depends on his results. I think we will see the Tokov fight as well before the Nemkov fight. If Tokov wins his next fight (I think they will re-book him against Aguiar 17-1 brazilian dude)

10. careto Black Belt

Shit, if Mousasi wins those fights he should be in the conversation for current P4P and all time MW GOAT.

11. careto Black Belt

Salter deserves it and I wouldnt mind it but it is not a challenge for Mousasi at all. It is basically amother name to his resume.

Hellowhosthat likes this.
  12. rob mafia Silver Belt

i mean... that's the other half of the joke. bader is HW champ.

TheRealWill likes this.
  13. tehMoose The slayer of ufc shills

14. GueseGuy Yellow Card Yellow Card

Salter deserves the shot but he’s not a threat to Mousasi. I’d rather see Tokov but I’ll take whatever title defense we can get.

careto likes this.
  15. CC27 Gold Belt

Corey Anderson out him crying about UFC giving Izzy shots cause its all about money and its not about sport etc. Gonna be funny as fuck when Mousasi does the same thing and he's left on the sideline.

Also Salter is never getting a title shot.

16. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

Mousasi didn't exactly do well against the other BJJ guy who took the belt and vacated.

HaulParris likes this.
  17. Hellowhosthat If he dies he dies

There's a bit of a difference between the level of BJJ of Salter and Rafael Lovato Jr lol.

Richard Fannin likes this.
  18. TheBiggestLittleTinyMan Yellow Belt

That's true, but I think his extremely boring style is poisoning peoples' analysis, Salter's not a walkover for Moose at all. If he's planning his boxing career and picking a spot on the shelf for the LHW belt and shows up flat, or Salter just fights like this fight will define his career then Salter easily may win. His wrestling style is more offensive than Lovato's (who kept getting on top through working sweeps), so he's less vulnerable to Moose's ground and pound since he won't be giving up bottom position as easily, and strong wrestlers have shut down a lot of Mousasi's striking output before.

All that being said, I also hate the fight and think Tokov's the real threat at 185, the vacant belt should have been between Moose and him in the first place.

pankrat likes this.
  19. HaulParris Gold Belt

If Mousasi moves up and wins, he'll still be a big fish in a small pond.

Nameless Ghoul likes this.
  20. TheBiggestLittleTinyMan Yellow Belt

Mousasi is a little like McGregor in that he is at once one of the most overrated and underrated fighters in the world. Half the time on here he's an also-ran "ufc reject", the other half are dedicated fanboys sure he's about to kill everybody and become 3-weight champ. I don't like the Nemkov fight for him at all; a bigger guy, who's longer and likely hits significantly harder on the feet, and who also has great defense, great takedowns, powerful ground and pound and submissions? Youth isn't exactly on Moose's side either. Moose vs Nemkov gives me the same vibes I got with Rory vs Moose, a great fighter at his own weight biting off more than he can chew against a bigger stronger guy who holds all the advantages he likes to have in fights.