Mousasi should be MW not LHW

Last Emperor

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think this is a mistake.

He should cut for fights to make MW - he is waaay too undersized for LHW in my opinion.

Agreed. For the longest time, I thought he was a consistent MW.

I think if he does well in his first fight at LHW, he may stay and test the waters. If not, he's dropping.

I agree. Gegard has been doing extremely well at LHW, but if he was standing next to Jon Jones he would look like he's two weight classes under. I hope Gegard stays at LHW as there are some really interesting match ups, but I think his size will become a problem sooner or later.

Unless you are his mother I doubt he will take note of your opinions.

He looked very undersized against Kyle and would look even small and get ragged dolled more against the UFCs 205ers....

He said he cuts 5 lbs to get to 205......Guys like Chis Weidman and Costa Phillipou must walk around closer to 200 and make 185....

Id like to see Gay at Serras training with those 185ers

He said that the cut is too much for him and that he'd only do it for a big time fight.

"What I hear from other fighters, how much they cut weight, it could be done. Only if it's really an important fight I would consider it, but otherwise I wouldn't do it. Let's say if they would give me Anderson Silva, then I would do it, but I don't think that's going to happen so it doesn't make any sense to go down to 185."

Don't worry. Hell be sent packing to mw soon enough when the UFC lhws get hold of him

He looked very undersized against Kyle and would look even small and get ragged dolled more against the UFCs 205ers....

He said he cuts 5 lbs to get to 205......Guys like Chis Weidman and Costa Phillipou must walk around closer to 200 and make 185....

Id like to see Gay at Serras training with those 185ers

weidman walks at about 215 - he had to cut 32 lbs in a matter of days after he took the maia fight:

“I took the fight on 10 days notice and the next day my uncle dies. Just doesn’t die, he fell on his face down stairs, smashed his face, and I had to clean up his blood,” Weidman recounted, his eyes welling. “I didn’t actually go to the funeral; I went to the wake the next two days. I wasn’t really able to train and on top of that I lose 32 pounds in that time frame."

pretty sure phillipou is the about the same size - most of the bigger mw's walk around 210 to 220

moussasi is definitely mw sized

Did you see Wideman's face at the mma awards? Either he was having an allegeric reaction or he's close to 230.

But here is where the whole "Mousasi is lazy" meme comes in. He simply doesn't want to work that hard to make weight. A lot of fans are always saying fighters should fight close to their natural weight, which is what he is doing.

And does the same logic apply to Rockhold, who is enourmous for a MW? Should he fight at LHW instead of calling out guys under 6 foot?

Mousasi has said numerous times that he doesn't want to cut to 185lb anymore.

Did you see Wideman's face at the mma awards? Either he was having an allegeric reaction or he's close to 230.

But here is where the whole "Mousasi is lazy" meme comes in. He simply doesn't want to work that hard to make weight. A lot of fans are always saying fighters should fight close to their natural weight, which is what he is doing.

i don't think he's had that sling off his arm for very long - i'm pretty sure he's in rehab so not really training - lot of fighters balloon up a bit after a serious surgery + rehab type injury

weidman walks at about 215 - he had to cut 32 lbs in a matter of days after he took the maia fight:

“I took the fight on 10 days notice and the next day my uncle dies. Just doesn’t die, he fell on his face down stairs, smashed his face, and I had to clean up his blood,” Weidman recounted, his eyes welling. “I didn’t actually go to the funeral; I went to the wake the next two days. I wasn’t really able to train and on top of that I lose 32 pounds in that time frame."

pretty sure phillipou is the about the same size - most of the bigger mw's walk around 210 to 220

moussasi is definitely mw sized

They cut that much because they get out of shape between fights (speaking of those at MW), where Mousasi is in good shape when he's fighting at LHW. Gegard is a small lhw but he's in shape, so him making MW might actually hurt him because he would be cutting more water than excess fat.

my guess is that weight cutting is a foreign concept to him. i mean, of course he's heard of it, but he's never had to do it, and has no interest in doing it.

who would (have interest in it)? the answer is simple: those who start losing to bigger dudes, because their skillsets cannot compete against bigger dudes.

so he will, if/when starts losing to big LHW's. that's basically when people who don't want to cut, start cutting.

They cut that much because they get out of shape between fights (speaking of those at MW), where Mousasi is in good shape when he's fighting at LHW. Gegard is a small lhw but he's in shape, so him making MW might actually hurt him because he would be cutting more water than excess fat.

well, he had to cut that much weight because he took the fight on 10 days notice and thus didn't have time to gradually bring his weight down in camp and then cut the final 10-15 or so - spending part of those days cleaning up the blood of a recently deceased loved one didn't help i'm sure

i believe moussasi walks at about 210 which is a very typical mw - a little large but on the positive side of that meaning in no danger of getting out-muscled - there are a ton of 210 to 15 mw's who are not in bad shape - they're just big guys -

edit: moussasi is a typical european fighter who spent the majority of his career overseas - they don't cut as much weight in those other orgs and don't come from a weight cutting tradition so the concept is foreign and hard to adjust to after years of not doing it - fighting in lesser orgs more talented guys can get away with it but not in the UFC - he'll end up a mw

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. While of course Mousasi probably SHOULD go to 185lb, i think he's fine at 205lb. He performs well there and probably will be a mainstay top 10 now that he's in the UFC. He'd beat most guys. I only see him losing to Jones, Davis, and maybe Gustafsson and Lyoto.

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. While of course Mousasi probably SHOULD go to 185lb, i think he's fine at 205lb. He performs well there and probably will be a mainstay top 10 now that he's in the UFC. He'd beat most guys. I only see him losing to Jones, Davis, and maybe Gustafsson and Lyoto.

for the same reason people talk about Cormier, Shogun and Machida dropping a weight class.

Doesn't make any sense to go to 185. He looks too small for MW imo.

Not only that, but people forget to mention when comparing Mike Kyle to Mousasi that Kyle is a big mother fucker.

the guy has fought at heavyweight and won he is ok at light heavy,

let's not forget we see threads all the time about how JDS vs. hunt would be a good fight at heavyweight and gegard has already fought mark hunt at HW and got the sub, he's fought and beat the heavyweight k1 champion in a k1 fight. stopped gary goodridge at HW as well(even though it's not saying much) all in all he isn't in over his head as people think.

Agreed. He will win some fights at LHW, but is too small to cope with a Jon Jones or Phil Davis. He is small enough to make MW with the right training.

Back