Mousasi deep half guard (Spoilers)

ozyabbas

Purple Belt
Reaction score
First of all, I can't be bothered to find out if I am spelling his name right.

I find it interesting that people have said that positions like the deep half guard which is being used a lot in sport BJJ competitions these days is not practical for self defence or mma. But there have been a few instances where it has been used beautifully. Mousasi used it last night and little Nog in his fight before Bader being instances that come to mind.

If you are off balancing someone, how are they going to punch you and if you have their legs entangled. How are they going to kick you.

one of the most common fallacies that people have on the forums is that they assume people on the street can do what their training partners can do . Wich is not true.

There are options in every positions. Personally I`d have stood up the moment my opponent off-balanced me. Mousasi obviously feels more confident off his back and decided to go for a sweep. In this case it paid off for him because he ended up on top. Had this been against King Mo it would have not been such a good idea.

one of the most common fallacies that people have on the forums is that they assume people on the street can do what their training partners can do . Wich is not true.

exactly. everyone that claims deep hg or de la riva wouldn't be useful on the street need to try it on the guy that walks into the gym for the first time.

you don't have to do shit. they fall over all by themselves.

exactly. everyone that claims deep hg or de la riva wouldn't be useful on the street need to try it on the guy that walks into the gym for the first time.

Even in MMA this stuff works.

Wagnney Fabiano was talking about how he thinks some DLR guard can work really well in MMA. Keep them at bay with the up kick or foot on the hip, and threaten with the single whenever you want. Defending some of these techniques requires a more grappling specific approach, imo.

Even in MMA this stuff works.

Wagnney Fabiano was talking about how he thinks some DLR guard can work really well in MMA. Keep them at bay with the up kick or foot on the hip, and threaten with the single whenever you want. Defending some of these techniques requires a more grappling specific approach, imo.

oh for sure. werdum on antonio silva, reis in bellator vs i forgot who, diet nog in his last fight before bader... all good examples of deep halfguard working in mma.

i think dlr is used quite often as well by higher level grapplers but it isn't as noticable because the guy usually wraps the legs and both fighters immediately move.

i'm waiting for someone to start sweeping people left and right with x-guard. now that will be nice.

Spinning back kicks can work on the street, doesnt mean its a viable move for most people or even advisable for people that can pull it off.

Spinning back kicks can work on the street, doesnt mean its a viable move for most people or even advisable for people that can pull it off.

i don't think that's a fair comparison. people will instinctively respond to strikes much differently than they will to grappling. and, pretty much everyone is capable of throwing a powerful haymaker without having any skill.

putting someone in a de la riva guard means you're already on the ground where they most likely don't know squat since they don't train and very few people have the ballance to handle it normally once you start screwing with their legs. i'm not saying you should be doing complicated reverse omoplata transitions from it, i'm saying people who assume it shouldn't be done on the street assume the person you're fighting knows grappling - which in most cases isn't true. to see how effective it would be against a random joe, you need to try and slap it on someone who's a noob in your bjj class and you'll see how in most cases they easily collapse all by themselves.

i don't think that's a fair comparison. people will instinctively respond to strikes much differently than they will to grappling. and, pretty much everyone is capable of throwing a powerful haymaker without having any skill.

putting someone in a de la riva guard means you're already on the ground where they most likely don't know squat since they don't train and very few people have the ballance to handle it normally once you start screwing with their legs. i'm not saying you should be doing complicated reverse omoplata transitions from it, i'm saying people who assume it shouldn't be done on the street assume the person you're fighting knows grappling - which in most cases isn't true. to see how effective it would be against a random joe, you need to try and slap it on someone who's a noob in your bjj class and you'll see how in most cases they easily collapse all by themselves.

Im not worried about 'joe public' knowing grappling and countering my DLR guard with a kneebar or heel hook counter. Im worried that im on the ground getting my head kicked in by other people.

Im not worried about 'joe public' knowing grappling and countering my DLR guard with a kneebar or heel hook counter. Im worried that im on the ground getting my head kicked in by other people.

i'd say it's pretty obvious you shouldn't be grappling in a streetfight if you're facing more than one opponent. but then again, neither is striking with them since someone is bound to break your neck with a chair from behind, so the whole debate is kind of pointless.

that's not what this thread is about though, is it? the guy is talking about how people assume deep halfguard becomes useless when strikes are involved and it obviously doesn't.

Back