Mounting from Side Control

OOOH.... haha nah man I just snagged the vid from youtube because that's where I learned it. :icon_chee

Lol I was wondering why you said "lol..."

But then I realized i didn't ask that question very intelligently

pretty much, yeah, that's it... i'm staying tight on his chest so he can't roll to his side, and i thread my arm through to bring his legs together, and swing my leg over quickly while his legs are pinned to my near side.

my arm is essentially doing what BJ's knee does when he's passing to mount, and that is keeping his knees pinned together on one side, then pushing my near knee into his under arm, and getting my leg over his pinned down legs.

Lol I was wondering why you said "lol..."

But then I realized i didn't ask that question very intelligently

naaah it's all good....

so does anyone else try to bring the knees together by threading them with your arm like that? I don't do KOB yet because I like to stay tight. That's something I could def work on though.

naaah it's all good....

so does anyone else try to bring the knees together by threading them with your arm like that? I don't do KOB yet because I like to stay tight. That's something I could def work on though.

I do that, then KOB and slide over. The way Roger mounted Romulo at 09 Mundials. Shawn Williams explained it in the DVD. My favorite mount.

I do that, then KOB and slide over. The way Roger mounted Romulo at 09 Mundials. Shawn Williams explained it in the DVD. My favorite mount.

so it's thread to bring the legs together, kob and slide over like the video above?

(which explains pretty well how to finish the mount btw, thanks for that post TP)

I tend to use the "pull and let it snap back" technique to get mount from side control.

When i'm in side control and they raise their near leg to block the mount (some people raise it and put their foot on or over their other knee), i use the hand that is closer to their legs to grab this "blocking" leg by the foot. As if i was going for a toe hold. Even with they have gi pants on, i grab the foot.
Then i pull their leg towards their stomach. Once i feel resistance (either because he's resisting or because his muscles/tendons tense up because of a lack of flexibility) i simply let go of the foot which makes their leg/foot snap towards the floor while i pass my leg over for the mount.

It's the one that is the most reliable for me.

I saw that...it was pretty simple really. I still don't know how he didn't get his foot trapped. It just seemed like he waited and pressured, waited and pressured, knee all the way to the ground and ready to mount, but just didn't want to finish it and get the foot trapped. It seemed like he felt like a certain moment was right and completed it, but I couldn't catch any technical details that prevented the foot trap other than timing.

I tend to use the "pull and let it snap back" technique to get mount from side control.

When i'm in side control and they raise their near leg to block the mount (some people raise it and put their foot on or over their other knee), i use the hand that is closer to their legs to grab this "blocking" leg by the foot. As if i was going for a toe hold. Even with they have gi pants on, i grab the foot.
Then i pull their leg towards their stomach. Once i feel resistance (either because he's resisting or because his muscles/tendons tense up because of a lack of flexibility) i simply let go of the foot which makes their leg/foot snap towards the floor while i pass my leg over for the mount.

It's the one that is the most reliable for me.

That's what Rickson used on Yuki Nakai in Choke.

I saw that...it was pretty simple really. I still don't know how he didn't get his foot trapped. It just seemed like he waited and pressured, waited and pressured, knee all the way to the ground and ready to mount, but just didn't want to finish it and get the foot trapped. It seemed like he felt like a certain moment was right and completed it, but I couldn't catch any technical details that prevented the foot trap other than timing.

He finishes it as his opponent turns into him. The way he does it, he gives two options, turn away and give up the back, or turn into him, trying to escape. If he turns into Roger, Roger insta-mounts.

I've been playing with it for a while now. Sometimes, I just get the knee over and wait there. I can base out well and it is not comfortable for my opponent.

That's what Rickson used on Yuki Nakai in Choke.

Cool, i didn't remember, i'll have to re-watch.
I use this pass because i like going for toe-holds, and i love setting them up from side control... but since i can't use them in BJJ, i just use the pass.

The downside to it is that you let go of their far arm and they may get a chance to get an underhook and try an escape. I still find it more reliable and it doesn't require a great amount of flexibility, just good timing.

This is the way I do it:

This is how I normally do it as well, though I've been missing that little hip switch when dropping the foot. The devil is in the details.

I also learned a cool transition to mount the other day during a private with one of our black belts - it involves walking from modified scarf to North-South to reverse scarf on the far side, all the while wrapping up both of your opponent's arms. By the time you take mount (if you disregard the host of submissions on the way there), you'll have one of his arms trapped across his body under the weight of your chest, and the other trapped across his neck in the 'howdy'/backwards arm triangle position. John Olav Einemo apparently uses this a lot. It's pure pwnage.

Back