Mounting from Side Control

thegreenblender

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What is your favorite ways to do this? I've been doing no gi jiu-jitsu for a few years, so I've got the gist of it, I need some extra technique/tip to avoid a guy snagging my foot as I'm coming over.

i usually dont go straight from sidecontrol to mount. I usually go from side control to knee on belly for a couple of seconds, and then drop down to mount. Its a good sequence of moves to follow becuase normally when you have someone in side controll they are pretty much always trying to block you from moving directly to mount, by throwing the knee on belly transition in there i have found less people tend to block you from taking mount (and if they do block it you can just take side control again).

Am i making sense here?

I should note that i needed to practice my knee on belly control for a couple of weeks before i could get this sequence working with a high enough % to be useful.

I overhook the far leg, and thread it through and use the inside leg as leverage to bring his knees together like I'm trying to turn him on his face, pin the knee down with my elbow and swing my leg over.

Or underhook the far leg like a cradle and thread my far leg through

I'd only mount for points, or some times if the guy is much bigger/strong I use it to piss them off. favorite way would be my left arm (assuming I am side mounted on his right) under opponents head, right hand under his left arm gripping my other hand. My left shoulder would be pushing his face hard, just a detail I thought I'd add. after that, use my right elbow to turn and push his elbow up, and sneak my knee across his chest. Since I'm pretty flexible, my opponent having their foot on their knee to block usually doesn't do much to prevent me from getting the mount.

KOB is a great start. If you can get that, it's all downhill from there.

I'm a straight to mount kind of guy ... If your playing a defensive side mount you will have your knee or your arm blocking his hip to prevent him getting a knee in, so when you decide you want mount put your arm in as a hip block and grab the pant or leg near the knee and force it hard towards the ground away from you and follow very tightly with your body ... For me it's very high percentage, hope I explained it well enough

I either...

A: Go to twister side control and get way up under the arm then step over while controlling the arm of the side I had side control on. This either gets them in a good position for the armbar, or lands me in a solid technical mount.

B: Or I go to reverse kesa and control the far side arm. I then step over and immediately switch to s-mount toward the side I started. This usually prevents them from grabbing the leg as I come over, and if they try I can usually crank on a kimura.

The obvious answer to this is not to try to mount when your opponent is on their side. That's how most of our higher belts get out of side control lol; they just chill out and pretty much beg you to mount, trap the leg and follow over to your back. It's a super bummer to go from the top to having your back taken

I overhook the far leg, and thread it through and use the inside leg as leverage to bring his knees together like I'm trying to turn him on his face, pin the knee down with my elbow and swing my leg over.

neat. vid or match reference would be awesome. the last one loses me a little

I either...

A: Go to twister side control and get way up under the arm then step over while controlling the arm of the side I had side control on. This either gets them in a good position for the armbar, or lands me in a solid technical mount.

B: Or I go to reverse kesa and control the far side arm. I then step over and immediately switch to s-mount toward the side I started. This usually prevents them from grabbing the leg as I come over, and if they try I can usually crank on a kimura.

The obvious answer to this is not to try to mount when your opponent is on their side. That's how most of our higher belts get out of side control lol; they just chill out and pretty much beg you to mount, trap the leg and follow over to your back. It's a super bummer to go from the top to having your back taken

This is almost like you are spinning for the armbar from sidemount, but you go s-mount instead?

This is almost like you are spinning for the armbar from sidemount, but you go s-mount instead?

Yep, but it's pretty tough to get the armbar because when you get over your balance gets compromised and they can get up to their knees.

This. Sweet avatar BTW

so the finish for this one ends up like this?

I mean, minus using your arm to weave and overhook

Back