Mounting a thai bag

Achilles

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Does anyone in this forum have a thai bag mounted in their garage. I'm worried that the weight of a thai bag could snap one of the studs in the ceiling of my garage. Anyone on here have any experience in that area?

I ened up mounting a 4x8 across 3 rafters to spread out the weight and I never had any problems.

www.SSFgear.com

I would not mount it to a rafter. Mount it high in the frame to envenly distribute the weight throughout the structure. The damage you will sustain is not worth having a thai bag in the garage for.

I'm having an 8ft Scaffolding bar put accross my Garage to hang my heavy bag.

Ive had a heavy bag in my garage for about 4 years now, tied it directly to one rafterand the reafter is fine although ive got to replce the rope soon as its wearing through.

SSF said:
I ened up mounting a 4x8 across 3 rafters to spread out the weight and I never had any problems.

www.SSFgear.com
I had a 40 lb heavybag in a stud, but a thai bag weighs 100 lbs or more. What kind of bag do you have? Do you know how much it weighs? Also, what is the advantage to spreading it accross three rafters, isn't it just screwed into one position? Also does your cieling shake when you hit/kick it?

Brandinho said:
I would not mount it to a rafter. Mount it high in the frame to envenly distribute the weight throughout the structure. The damage you will sustain is not worth having a thai bag in the garage for.
What do you mean mount it high in the frame? Are you suggesting that I cut a hole in the sheet-rock in the roof of my garage and mount it to one of the diagonal studs that form the roof? If not, what do you mean? If so, wouldn't that create a ton of swinging thus tearing up all of the sheetrock withing a few feet of the bag? Also, what's the difference between those studs and the studs on the ceiling? I know the damage would be much worse if one of the roof studs snapped. I agree that damage to my house frame is not worth getting a thai bag.

OniKage said:
I'm having an 8ft Scaffolding bar put accross my Garage to hang my heavy bag.
What do you mean? A bar going accross the garage mounted to a stud on either side?

SmashiusClay said:
Ive had a heavy bag in my garage for about 4 years now, tied it directly to one rafterand the reafter is fine although ive got to replce the rope soon as its wearing through.
How much does your bag weigh? Does your roof shake when you hit/kick it? Did you tie it in or screw it in?

Also, to anyone, will a spring protect my house frame or not so much?

I mean literally a construction bar going accross the garage screwed into the wall at either end.

Achilles- I have a 6' 120 thai bag. I mounted a 6' long 4x8 across three rafters to spread the weight out. It's been like that for 2 years without a problem, my friend (a contractor) told me to mount the bag this way and everything should be alright and so far it has been.

www.SSFgear.com

Thanks for the responses you all have been very helpful.

Back