Mount vs. side control

Just so you know, you have the lineage written down wrong in your sig. Carlos Sr. gave Carlson Sr. his belt, who gave Ricardo his. Carlson Jr. did not give Liborio his black.

Thanks for the heads up, man!

There's a reason it's additional points for mount.

In pure grappling, there's more to do in mount than MMA. When was the last time somebody used a good s-mount in MMA? S-mount, in my opinion, is more effective than most of side mount. And side mount, you're limited in attacks, but it's easy to just hold.

If you spend time on mount, you can hold it easily and do some good damage. You only lose mount because you don't train it enough. It is one of the best positions to obtain, so you should train it as such.

Any experienced wrestler will have a very good side control but not-so-good mount. A wrestler spends a lot of time in side control in a folkstyle wrestling match if he is any good. I spent my whole life wrestling and have been training bjj for two years. Some people say I have a "black belt" side control. I've been developing my mount and s-mount and have been having a lot of success with it. It'll be years before it is as good as my cross-body. But I actually think the mount for me will turn out to be much more of a weapon for submissions. I don't know if it will ever be quite as good for pure control, but who knows, maybe one day.

Being a former wrestler and training in catch I have to say that my side control is pretty darn good. I am OK from the mount with chokes and arm bars but I have to thank Robson Moura for teaching me the S-mount. That thing is a killer!

So many options once you shuffle on up and lock it in.

Mount and north south are the only top positions I really feel comfortable in. My sidemount compared to mount is very bad, after passing in sparring I immediately go for either a mount or north south.

As a white belt, just about ready to test for white yellow, after 3 weeks, I can say that side is better for me, as in mount, I am usually reversed right away to guard, but my long legs help me their, and it takes a good time to escape.

Back