Mount vs. side control

I've always felt it was easier to escape from mount because the person's weight is centered on top of you. Side mount is another story because he is cross body and weight distribution there is harder to manipulation due to body positioning alone.

I prefer side mount as I seem to have a much easier time controlling my opponent and I do better offensively

I can escape mount much better than side control

I also prefer to have mount rather than side control. I feel i have more options as i have a lot more subs and if i do get bucked over i am in guard where i am most comfortable.

If we're talking sport BJJ, then I very much prefer side control. Don't get me wrong, I've got a decent mount game, but there's just so many more options from side control.

I like to set things up, then switch to modified scarf or N/S to finish. When you factor in the various side controls (scarf, mod scarf, cradles, 100 kilo's, twister side), there's just a lot more submission options.

It's also a lot easier to hold a guy down in side control. It's a lot easier to get reversed from mount when going for subs. Escaping mount, for both noobs and experienced guys, is almost always easier than escaping a good, tight side control.

IMO, side control is an easier position to maintain/submit from the less experienced you are.

I have been in BJJ less than 3 months and I think this is accurate because I can get myself into less trouble from side mount.

From side control if things start going poorly you can reset to the basic close knees, scoop the head and arm position pretty easily. Also if you screw up from side control you can sometimes mitigate the damage and only give him half guard, but if you get rolled from a mount it is often or usually into a full guard.

That's MMA though and even then you gotta look at it as being 4 point attacks vs. Unified Rules. If four point attacks are allowed side control is far better since you can knee anywhere (you can't really knee from mount, not effectively at least) plus with side control you can pop up to your feet fast and soccer kick them like all the Chute Boxe guys did. As far as unified rules go, mount may very well be better since you can use elbows.

I still think you have to take into account body types. Long, lanky fighters are going to do better with mount than short, stocky ones, whereas the short stocky ones will do better with side control. It's not just a question of opportunities, its a question of how well you can control an opponent as good as you are. Though of course everyone has to train both (both doing and escaping).

I have been in BJJ less than 3 months and I think this is accurate because I can get myself into less trouble from side mount.

From side control if things start going poorly you can reset to the basic close knees, scoop the head and arm position pretty easily. Also if you screw up from side control you can sometimes mitigate the damage and only give him half guard, but if you get rolled from a mount it is often or usually into a full guard.

I will take full guard on the bottom over half-guard on top, any day of the week (for jitz comp, not MMA)

I will take full guard on the bottom over half-guard on top, any day of the week (for jitz comp, not MMA)
You should probably work more on top half guard then. It's always better to be on top no matter if it's training, comp, or MMA.

edit: I copied the sig above also. I think it would be cool if everyone showed their lineage in their sig.

Damn, you beat me by two links.

Good for you! :)
yeah. I got my blue from Liborio a year ago.

I currently train under Mario Rinaldi and Din Thomas at ATT PSL, but until I get purple belt, I'm keeping my lineage directly under Liborio because that's who I got my last belt from.

When I get purple, I'll change it to Rinaldi or Thomas. Whoever gives me the belt.

I got my purple last year from Norway's only blackbelt so far, Trond Saksenvik, and he got his black from Eduardo Rios in 2006.

Damn. Maybe we should do a lineage poster on the club too? That would be cool and informative.

A lot of people love side control, but what I try to always do is mount my opponent and either choke them out or armbar them.

yeah, i was hoping the lineage in your sig thing would catch on, i think it's a great idea.

I guess my views on half-guard could be a little skewed since that is my strongest position, half-guard on the bottom...

I got my purple last year from Norway's only blackbelt so far, Trond Saksenvik, and he got his black from Eduardo Rios in 2006.

Damn. Maybe we should do a lineage poster on the club too? That would be cool and informative.

now i have stolen your sig idea!!!

yeah. I got my blue from Liborio a year ago.

I currently train under Mario Rinaldi and Din Thomas at ATT PSL, but until I get purple belt, I'm keeping my lineage directly under Liborio because that's who I got my last belt from.

When I get purple, I'll change it to Rinaldi or Thomas. Whoever gives me the belt.

Just so you know, you have the lineage written down wrong in your sig. Carlos Sr. gave Carlson Sr. his belt, who gave Ricardo his. Carlson Jr. did not give Liborio his black.

On topic, I prefer the mount in the gi. Watch Kron's game to see a basic, but very intricate mount game at the same time. If you can develop a dangerous cross-choke/armbar/technical mount game, you can do serious damage from there.

Any experienced wrestler will have a very good side control but not-so-good mount. A wrestler spends a lot of time in side control in a folkstyle wrestling match if he is any good. I spent my whole life wrestling and have been training bjj for two years. Some people say I have a "black belt" side control. I've been developing my mount and s-mount and have been having a lot of success with it. It'll be years before it is as good as my cross-body. But I actually think the mount for me will turn out to be much more of a weapon for submissions. I don't know if it will ever be quite as good for pure control, but who knows, maybe one day.

Mount....IF I can get to S-mount, I've never subbed anyone decent from Sidemount, EVER

I like to use transitions on sidemount much better though, everyone's wary of giving their back under the mount, but under sidemount people tend to forget that you can spin behind them easily when they turn towards you to escape (or they can do the "wrong" thing and just try to turn away to begin with)

I usually go into mount to secure positon, like if I feel them getting their guard back from side control. The problem is I only have a few attacks from mount, but side control I have tons of attacks. Problem is I usually end up having to go into the scarfhold to defend their shrimp back to guard from side control, so I end up in dominant halfguard more than anything lol.

I usually go into mount to secure positon, like if I feel them getting their guard back from side control. The problem is I only have a few attacks from mount, but side control I have tons of attacks. Problem is I usually end up having to go into the scarfhold to defend their shrimp back to guard from side control, so I end up in dominant halfguard more than anything lol.

I agree with you on having more attacks from side control, and my side control has improved like 10-fold since watching the side control volume of robson moura's fusion BJJ instructional... literally put the control back in my side control :icon_chee

But intead of transitioning to mount to avoid the guard, how bout circling north/south and taking side control on the other side, or if they keep turning, take the back.

Back