1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Mount bottom vs. Sprawled Opponent lower back pain...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by ShadowNINku, Aug 24, 2010.

1. ShadowNINku

ShadowNINku SANDBAGGER BELT

Today we worked on mount where one person is sprawled on top of the other really hipping in on the mounted person

For the person on the bottom:
    This creates a loss of the arch in your lower back and I think that the lower back pain that I have now might have been caused by this

Could I possibly prevent the pain that comes afterwards from being at the bottom of this position by actively arching the lower back and not allowing it to get flattened by the sprawling person on top? Or, is this bad technique or something else?

2. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

If they are arching, then they are either grapevining your legs or hooking your legs and driving their heels up towards the ceiling with or without crossed feet. In either situation you have to free your legs from theirs and get at least one of your legs completely flat to the ground. It's harder for them to effectively bridge their weight into you from mount if they don't have your legs to leverage against.

3. ShadowNINku

Thanks, Now;
    What if I have now way to get out or that position is what we're drilling and I need a way to protect my lower back, would arching my own back help relieve the pressure while I escape?

4. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

How about working on your core strength instead?

5. ShadowNINku

I have a very strong core, I've been deadlifting, squatting , and pressing for over 2 years now and can hold a plank for a long time without even training it specifically (carryover from barbell lifts), I'm a regular in the SnP. This is probably not the problem.

Since you mention it, should I contract the core when I'm at the bottom of the sprawling mount or really try to maintain my lower back arch?

6. ShadowNINku

still aching :( bad

7. ShadowNINku

8. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

Sounds like you have a back problem to me if your lower spine being straight is bothering you. As far as reasonable solutions, yes you can force the arch into your spine if that relieves the pain.

However getting evaluated by a chiro or pt for flexibility of your lumbar spine may be what you need, they can get you stretching that area.

9. ShadowNINku

I went to a PT, they worked on my hip flexors, felt better but the problem's not fully fixed though, they also told me to lay down with my legs elevated or stand up instead of sitting down.

The thing to work on now is preventing the problem from ever happening as in forcing the arch in my spine if I feel that it is getting flattened out. It could work...