Motor Racing 2023

Jeez, another destructive INDYCAR race. Psyched for Marcus for the win. Unbelievable crashes. Props to McLaughlin for owning up and apologizing for taking out Grosjean. So rare to see any driver admit to making a mistake. These street circuits though. What I like about them is the same thing I hate about them. Good action but just utter destruction.

Ferrari has to be worried if they did lose the engine in LeClerc's car in the first race of the season. Teams know that they will probably not be able to make it through a season on 3 internal combustion engines but to lose one in the first race of the season really puts them at a disadvantage. Only 5 teams made it through last season on 3 engines and they were all Mercedes powered. No Mercedes team used more than 4 engines. One Alpha Tauri used 4 engines. The Red Bulls used 5 engines. The Renaults used 6 and 4 of the 6 Ferrari teams used 6 with the remaining 2 using 5 engines.
https://www.f1-fansite.com/2022-f1-season/2022-used-f1-power-unit-elements/

Formula One doesn't really have an effective penalty system. If a team uses a 4th engine, they get a ten place grid penalty. If they use a 5th, 6th or even a 7th engine, they only get a 5 place grid penalty. To me, the penalties should either be the same or higher for each subsequent engine. They apply starting place penalties when they should be finishing place penalties or at least points penalties. They also allow teams to change multiple components on one weekend. Teams will use all 6 new versions of limited components which allows them to use the previous versions of those units. If they change all 6 components, they should be penalized 60 starting positions but the most they can be penalized is 19 places because there are only 20 entries per race. They should stockpile the penalties for future races or make the penalties points penalties. Changing all 6 units should be 60 points off of the drivers points and constructors points.

We've seen what a joke the spending limits are. They don't even calculate them until the next season is over and there is no real penalty for it.

Red Bull right where they were expected to be, but lots of eyebrow raises through the rest of the field.
There will be lots of intrigue surrounding the development race this year, as the pecking order seems wide open with very little margin for error.

Loved the battles on track as well, with Alonso putting on a show with the Mercs, as well as Tsunodas double overtake being the standouts.

So hoping that Alonso is as for-real as he looks right now. Him and LH in a tight battle for whatever place all season would be top tier entertainment

Happy to see that my pre-race wish appears to be the reality. If we're in store for another RB thrashing of all rivals, at least we'll get some interesting battles down field.

How long will Mercedes allow Alonso to beat them? Mercedes supplies the power units to Aston Martin. It reminds me of the old days in NASCAR when one of the racers who bought engines from Petty Enterprises commented that he knew the engines he got wouldn't be as fast as the ones in Richard's car. Even if all of the engines are built exactly the same, when they're tested on a dyno, some put out more power and are saved for the primary team.

Jeez, another destructive INDYCAR race. Psyched for Marcus for the win. Unbelievable crashes. Props to McLaughlin for owning up and apologizing for taking out Grosjean. So rare to see any driver admit to making a mistake. These street circuits though. What I like about them is the same thing I hate about them. Good action but just utter destruction.

Yeah respect for McLaughlin there. Grosjean is one of the most exciting Indycar drivers but that move had zero chance of being successful. That corner wiped out half the field.

"Charles Leclerc will serve a grid penalty at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix following Ferrari’s early season reliability problems with an electrical element in its Formula 1 power unit"

Ferrari gonna Ferrari.
<Neil01>

"Charles Leclerc will serve a grid penalty at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix following Ferrari’s early season reliability problems with an electrical element in its Formula 1 power unit"

Ferrari gonna Ferrari.
<Neil01>

So the first unit that was replaced on the grid was bad and the replacement went bad during the race and neither can be repaired? Ferrari could really be in trouble. I thought they said in was the internal combustion engine. Not a good start to the Vasseur era. He might not last the season. If they couldn't get it right before, how will they fix it in 10 days?

"On Sunday, we had two different issues," Ferrari team principal Fred Vasseur said on Wednesday, per the F1 website. "The first one was on the Sunday morning, when we did the fire up, and the second one was in the race. Unfortunately, it was two times the control unit, the ECU. "It's something that we never experienced in the past. I hope now it's under control, but we have a deep analysis on this. Unfortunately, we'll have to take the penalty in Jeddah, because we have only a pool of two control units for the season."
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/1...ives-grid-penalty-at-saudi-arabian-grand-prix

NASCAR brought the hammer on 4 Hendricks teams and one Kaulig team. They also got Denny Hamlin for hitting

Hendrick Motorsports
NASCAR has assessed penalties to Hendrick Motorsports for unapproved parts modifications at Phoenix Raceway. In total, Hendrick Motorsports was fined $400,000, docked 400 team points (100 per team), docked 300 driver points (100 per team excluding No. 9 car), and 40 playoff points (10 per team). The $400,000 fine is the largest to one organization in NASCAR history.

No. 5 Team, Kyle Larson/Cliff Daniels
Crew chief fined $100,000 + four race suspension

Loss of 100 team points

Loss of 100 driver points

Loss of 10 playoff points

No. 9 Team, Josh Berry/Alan Gustafson

Loss of 100 team points

No loss of driver points due to substitute driver

No. 24 Team, William Byron/Rudy Fugle

Loss of 100 team points

No. 48 Team, Alex Bowman/Blake Harris

Loss of 100 team points

Kaulig Racing
NASCAR has assessed penalties to Kaulig Racing for unapproved parts modifications at Phoenix Raceway.

No. 31, Justin Haley/Trent Owens

Loss of 100 team points

Denny Hamlin
Denny Hamlin has been fined $50,000 and 25 driver points for his intentional contact with No. 1 car, Ross Chastain. Hamlin voiced his intention to hit Chastain on his podcast, Actions Detrimental.

https://www.spotrac.com/news/nascar-hands-out-penalties-post-phoenix-race-1817/

I suspect they will all appeal so the penalties won't take effect yet and they will have their crew chiefs this weekend.

So they won races with cars that didn't meet the technical regulations, and the response is a fine? Seems pretty lenient.

So they won races with cars that didn't meet the technical regulations, and the response is a fine? Seems pretty lenient.

These penalties are for violations found in inspections prior to the race at Phoenix. The offending parts were discovered and removed from the cars prior to the race so as far as we know, those parts weren't used in a race. The teams might try to use that argument to avoid or reduce the penalties but the mere fact that they were on the car justify the penalties. One of the teams that was penalized won the race at Phoenix with the proper spec parts installed.

You also missed the points penalties and the loss of crew chiefs for 4 weeks.

Winning a race in NASCAR awards the driver 40 points and 5 playoff points. If the driver also would finish first in stage one and 2 they could earn 20 additional points and 2 bonus points for a grand total of 60 points and 7 playoff points. The 100 point penalties would require each of the 4 teams to win 2 races and two stages to recover the points they have been penalized and winning 2 races and stage one and two in both races would only provide 14 stage points when they were penalized 20.

Only thing I missed was at what point they were on the car. I also do know how the point system works.
Still seems like a weak penalty to me, but then again, NASCAR has never really been about effective action.
WaterloggedAssuredBluefintuna-size_restricted.gif

In other news, Ferrari on pole in Sebring! Very much looking forward to what the new season brings.

Only thing I missed was at what point they were on the car. I also do know how the point system works.
Still seems like a weak penalty to me, but then again, NASCAR has never really been about effective action.
WaterloggedAssuredBluefintuna-size_restricted.gif

NASCAR not having effective action? That's like taking 2 wins away from each of those teams. How about Formula One and their joke penalty system. The Championship team exceeds the salary cap and gets some wind tunnel time cut back 2 years later. The Winner of the 24 hours of Daytona was found to have manipulated tire pressure data and their penalty was 200 points and a $50,000 fine but they got to keep the win which was worth 350 points.

NASCAR not having effective action? That's like taking 2 wins away from each of those teams. How about Formula One and their joke penalty system. The Championship team exceeds the salary cap and gets some wind tunnel time cut back 2 years later. The Winner of the 24 hours of Daytona was found to have manipulated tire pressure data and their penalty was 200 points and a $50,000 fine but they got to keep the win which was worth 350 points.

"Like" taking a win? Lol, NASCAR doesn't take wins away. You know who owns IMSA, right?

What's F1 got to do with this conversation? Reads like a weird deflection to me.

Uh oh, Max may be done in Q2 with a engine or transmission problem.

YEP HE DONE. Can we can an Alonso pole???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back