Mothballs and Gear

j123

500-0-1
@Gold
Reaction score
Hi,

So it would seem that some of my gear is starting to give off a bad odor (shin guards, and gloves in particular) and I'm going to toss them and just get new ones as they seem beyond help.

The question I have is, my gymbag is somewhat starting to have the stink and wondering if placing mothballs in the bag will help (also if placing mothballs in gear would help also).

Thanks

take all your gear out of the gym bag every night to dry. put it in the sun (if there is any) whenever you can. For gloves open out the velcro or laces to get air inside the glove. The reason they stink is that you have your gloves inside a dark area where bacteria can grow while they are wet and damp.
People in the states use glove dogs, i used fresh gloves in Ireland. But they need to be "recharged" in the sunshine quite a bit, depending on how wet your gear is.

I've heard of people putting kitty litter or cedar wood in socks and sealing it and putting that inside gloves too. But the whole point is to get the gear dry

I tried to do that with putting moth balls in my gym locker - Only problem is that they have a strong smell themselves and eventually people started asking me what the smell was :p

I tried to do that with putting moth balls in my gym locker - Only problem is that they have a strong smell themselves and eventually people started asking me what the smell was :p

mothballs do not absorb moisture, your gear reeks cause it's damp and bacteria grows then. Keep your gear clean and dry and you won't have anything more than a mild stench :)

i put a lot of dryer sheets in my gym bag and air it out...seems to work ok. i even toss some sheets in my bag gloves. hope this helps. cheers

Back