Most winnable and most difficult fight for Burns out of the WW top 5?

SteveColdStone

School of Self Awareness
@Silver
Reaction score
OK top 6 because I forgot that the Champ doesn’t count as part of the top 5 in the rankings.
The rankings are:
Champ: Usman
1: Woodley
2: Colby
3: Masvidal
4: Edwards
5: Wonderboy

I think hes got a good chance of upsetting Woodley. Woodley just doesnt seem to be in it anymore mentally.
It’s a good time for him to fight Woodley. Woodley is pushing 40 and had his will broken in his last fight. Burns is entering his prime and has a lot of momentum and has been active. I just can’t quite figure out how he’s going to get it done.

Zero chances against Edwards, Wonderboy, Usman and Masvidal

Colby is a winnable fight for him

He wins against Colby, Masvidal.
He takes a loss against Usman, Wonderboy, Edwards

The Woodley fight seems like a toss-up because I don't know how Woodley will look, not the best momentum for him after the last fight.

The Woodley fight seems like a toss-up because I don't know how Woodley will look, not the best momentum for him after the last fight.

prime Woodley scratches him easy

fallen in and out of love hungry Woodley is a huge question mark

Last edited:
Hes got the tools needed to fight any of them I think has hardest fights are actually wonder boy and masvidal..

I think burns will struggle with elite offensive strikers.

I think burns will accell vs the wrestlers I'd like to see him and uzmen or colby

I think he's got a good chance against anyone now. That dude flew under the radar for years but he always been good. Now his confidence is sky high.

I actually feel Wonderboy is a tough matchup for him.
Yeah Wonderboy’s movement would most likely be too much, but he has been caught by big punches in the past and Luque did some decent work on his legs in round 1. I’d grade Wonderboy as one of his hardest match ups though. Maybe #2.

I think I’d pick him against Colby too. I think Usman is better equipped to deal with him than Colby is. I think somebody like Edwards might be a real struggle for Burns and I’d pick Edwards in confidence. Masvidal one is a close one but I’d pick Jorge.

Burns is elite. A win over Maia means more than it seems, he is the path to the title. Maia only loses to title contenders and former champs (except Munoz).

Hes got the tools needed to fight any of them I think has hardest fights are actually wonder boy and masvidal..

I think burns will struggle with elite offensive strikers.

I think burns will accell vs the wrestlers I'd like to see him and uzmen or colby
Yeah I think me matches up well fvs grapplers and wrestlers. Technical strikers with footwork and chins along with good TDD are more of a problem for him imo.

Burns is elite. A win over Maia means more than it seems, he is the path to the title. Maia only loses to title contenders and former champs (except Munoz).
Maia is on his last legs at this point but he’s never been stopped at Welterweight and he’s still a top 10 guy. Burns may have fought a worse Maia than the one that fought Woodley, Colby and Usman, but his performance was by far the most impressive. That left hook was one of the best I have seen in MMA.

^^^^^^^^This

Username does not check out??

Agree with all except I think Jorge beats him

What do people think now? His performance against Woodley was fantastic and he showed more depth to his game. His wrestling was very good, his clinch work was great as usual, and he did a great job controlling the pace on the feet. His output wasn’t particularly high but he was comfortable going 5 rounds.

I was confident he’d be Colby but now I have more confidence. I have more confidence in him being able to beat Usman too. WB and Edwards are still tough fights imo. Masvidal is a 50/50 one. I kept flip flopping but in the end I picked Woodley to win. I was wrong and pleasantly surprised at how dominant Burns was.

Burns loses to Dan Ige because Ige > Barboza > hooker > burns

Burns looked great tonight and has looked great for a while. He’s big and imposing, with ever improving and dangerous striking, and elite tier grappling in his back pocket. His 5 round conditioning looked very respectable as well tonight. I think he can beat anybody in the top 5, with Usman obviously being his hardest fight. Edwards would be interesting. I think he could put the pressure on Masvidal and beat him and I don’t think Colby’s high volume/low power approach will be too effective on him. And good luck spamming those takedowns and scrambles on a guy like Burns and his grappling pedigree. Very impressed with Gilbert and the run he is on right now. He looks to be putting it all together.

Back