Most well rounded fighter in MMA history

Jones and gsp outwrestle, outgrapple and outstrike everyone they face.

Jds controls almost every moment we've seen him in the ufc.

I would say Bendo is the most, because he isn't known for any aspect in particular. He has good kicks and punches, good takedowns and submissions.

A lot of you are clueless. Fedor had just as much trouble with wrestlers as Anderson if not more. He just didn't fight very many. One of the few he did fight suplexed him on his head highlight reel style.

All time most well rounded = GSP.

Jones is it right now though. Can't argue with beating opponents at their own game.

Fedor pretty much submitted every wrestler he fought as soon as the fight hit the ground (Fujita, Coleman, Randleman, Lindland). And so what if Randleman suplexed him? Something like is to be expected when a guy as strong and explosive as Randleman gets your back. At least Fedor wasn't dominated by a wrestler with bad sub defense for 20 minutes.

A lot of you are clueless. Fedor had just as much trouble with wrestlers as Anderson if not more. He just didn't fight very many. One of the few he did fight suplexed him on his head highlight reel style.

well if you want to play that game, then tell me the amount of times that gsp has stood with someone and knocked them out? how many submissions does the guy have? where are his highlight reel finishes?

the guy is the safest fighter in mixed martial arts. if you're a fan of defense-minded fighting, then more power to you.

it's not my cup of tea, personally.

Fedor had mediocre striking and wrestling... lol at anyone saying he is the most well rounded in the history of MMA. What a joke.

Fedor had mediocre striking and wrestling... lol at anyone saying he is the most well rounded in the history of MMA. What a joke.

Mediocre striking my ass.

Analyzing Fedor: The Striking Of The Emperor

He did have mediocre wrestling but that makes no difference since his takedowns came from judo and sambo. I'd say that if you can reverse a takedown of olympic silver medalist in Greco-Roman wrestling your takedowns are pretty damn good.

Imo Fedor was in his prime technically 9/10 in striking, takedowns and ground game. Add arguably the best ground and pound technique ever and his physical gifts and you got one of the most well rounded fighters of all time.

GSP, i don't think he has any particular physical tool advantages such as an iron Jaw, crazy threshold for submission or really really long limbs but he still manages to be able to out strike the best strikers and out grapple the best grappler's

Mediocre striking my ass.

Analyzing Fedor: The Striking Of The Emperor

He did have mediocre wrestling but that makes no difference since his takedowns came from judo and sambo. I'd say that if you can reverse a takedown of olympic silver medalist in Greco-Roman wrestling your takedowns are pretty damn good.

Imo Fedor was in his prime technically 9/10 in striking, takedowns and ground game. Add arguably the best ground and pound technique ever and his physical gifts and you got one of the most well rounded fighters of all time.

Having no wrestling does make a difference, as we are talking the most well rounded. His wild looping punches were never particularly technical either. Most well rounded ever with such attributes? Give me a fucking break. Kid yourself all you want. You'll still be wrong.

Fedor pretty much submitted every wrestler he fought as soon as the fight hit the ground (Fujita, Coleman, Randleman, Lindland). And so what if Randleman suplexed him? Something like is to be expected when a guy as strong and explosive as Randleman gets your back. At least Fedor wasn't dominated by a wrestler with bad sub defense for 20 minutes.

Fedor had better/more explosive submission than Anderson.

Also, those guys have really bad submission defense.

"And so what if Randleman suplexed him?"

It shows he struggled against wrestlers. If someone doesn't struggle against wrestlers they won't get suplexed.

Having no wrestling does make a difference, as we are talking the most well rounded. His wild looping punches were never particularly technical either. Most well rounded ever with such attributes? Give me a fucking break. Kid yourself all you want. You'll still be wrong.

Read that article I linked and maybe that will show you how good his striking really was. You don't outstrike prime Cro Cop with wild looping punches. You are talking about Fedor's striking as if it always was as bad as it was during his twilight years.

What type of wrestling are you talking about here? I'm talking about takedowns and TDD in general. It sounds like in your opinion wrestling = double, single and sprawl. Fedor preferred upper body throws and trips. I haven't really seen upper body takedowns from GSP. Does that mean that he's not one of the most well rounded fighters of all time?

Fedor had better/more explosive submission than Anderson.

Also, those guys have really bad submission defense.

"And so what if Randleman suplexed him?"

It shows he struggled against wrestlers. If someone doesn't struggle against wrestlers they won't get suplexed.

It's not like Sonnen's is any better.

That suplex is still only one takedown. It doesn't mean you aren't well rounded even if you get taken down by an excellent wrestler. Fedor's TDD was the weakest part of his game, though.

Do you mean that being exciting is required to be well rounded just like striking, grappling and wrestling? I didn't include it before

no. my point is that your results in a fight should be the gauge on which we determine whether a fighter is well-rounded or not.

i take it that most are approaching this from a standpoint of skills alone.

maybe i'm in the wrong thread. : l

no. my point is that your results in a fight should be the gauge on which we determine whether a fighter is well-rounded or not.

i take it that most are approaching this from a standpoint of skills alone.

maybe i'm in the wrong thread. : l

are you seriously arguing that gsp is one of the most well rounded fighters ever?

no way does gsp deserve any accolade as far as well rounded. isnt finishing an opponent an aspect of the sport. I mean the idea of a fight is to ko or submit. He can do neither anymore. He has NO power at all and he has submitted one friggin guy in his career. andy and fedor have both shown the ability to ko and submit from any position. They NEVER tapped to strikes. what a joke.

no way does gsp deserve any accolade as far as well rounded. isnt finishing an opponent an aspect of the sport. I mean the idea of a fight is to ko or submit. He can do neither anymore. He has NO power at all and he has submitted one friggin guy in his career. andy and fedor have both shown the ability to ko and submit from any position. They NEVER tapped to strikes. what a joke.

Georges is a phenomenon, he outstrikes great strikers, outwrestles great wrestlers, has MANY finishes on his record (tko and sub) and has good enough BJJ to have not been subbed since Hughes back in '08.

I'm no fan of GSP btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back