Most Underrated GOAT Contenders?

DJ is the most overrated GOAT contender, I'd say Nog is the most underrated even if you can't really justify him above Fedor he deserves to be in that leading group IMHO.

black-thought-philly

Everyone likes to bring up Rakim, Nas, Jay-Z, Biggie, Pac etc but Black Thought has been one of the best for about 2 decades now.
<FookIsThatGuy>

Everybody has their pick for GOAT, and it's usually the same few guys. Most often GSP, Fedor, and recently DC has been coming up. But who do you think is the most overlooked GOAT contenders? Is it Aldo, who wrecked a division for 7+ years before a magical leprechaun stole his pot of gold? Is it DJ, who despite facing relatively weak competition, has defeated his competition with relative ease and dominance like never before? Maybe you are one of the few people on the Matt Hughes warwagon, who believe that his wrestling made him the most dominant fighter at 170 pounds before a certain Canadian wasn't impressed with his performance. BJ Penn, whom when dedicated, was possibly the most talented fighter of all time? Dominick Cruz, who fought for 10 years without really being touched until a "savage" tracked him down? Big Nog, who without Fedor would've ruled over the division with an iron fist possibly until he retired?
Is it Colin McGuire(lol fuck no)?
The big 3 of GOAT contenders (GSP, DC, Fedor) aren't eligible.
Fighters who have been caught for PEDs are not allowed. No speculating who was juicing either.
Discuss.
(And mods, if you could add a poll with Aldo, DJ, Hughes, Penn, Liddell, Big Nog, Cruz, Saku, Couture, Shogun, Miocic, Hendo, and Werdum, that would be absolutely great.)
I wouldn't have him in my top 3, but I never see anyone mention Dominick Cruz. If he can somehow come back and win the belt again he would likely get more consideration.

Dan Henderson / Jose Aldo are both criminally underrated.

Henderson especially, he’s done it all.

Dan Henderson, wasn’t a GOAT of any weight class, but of longevity and definitely a contender for GOAT chin. Considering the long list of heavy hitters he fought and only was stopped by strikes at the very tail end of his career is astonishing.

Also he gave us this iconic jem...
tumblr_mysigcdtI71ry1rm7o1_400.gif

120nkn9.jpg

Demetrious Johnson, because he is shorter than the other GOATs, he is rated under them.

But really, he is probably the GOAT.
JOHNSON_DEMETRIOUS_BELT_LS.png

1) The current holder of the UFC title defense record with 11 consecutive title defenses and going.

2) The most complete fighter the sport has seen. DJ has shown skills in every aspect of the sport and exhibited them in his fights. He has it all. (Boxing, Kickboxing, Footwork, Transitions, Takedowns, Takedown Defense, Transitions, submissions, sub defense, scrambles, clinch game, speed, KO power, cardio, a solid chin, etc.) Every other GOAT candidate is missing something that DJ has in his arsenal.

3) The only GOAT candidate to reign in the era of USADA.
You can't be GOAT if you are fighting in a 125 pounds shit division.

How many men have you met that could make 125 pounds? How many athletes?

The flyweight division is shallow making his record padded as hell.

Aldo is a little underrated, but people usually at least put him in that second tier of greats.

IMO, Big Nog is the most underrated and it's not really close.

He arguably has the best HW resume ever(rivalled only by Fedor), beat nearly every top HW from 1999-2010(also beat some of the top LHW of the time), has one of the longest notable opponents list in MMA, won belts in both Pride and UFC, and is usually not even put in people's top 10.

Going with Hendo, the man has beaten killers in multiple weight classes from MW to HW

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

black-thought-philly

Everyone likes to bring up Rakim, Nas, Jay-Z, Biggie, Pac etc but Black Thought has been one of the best for about 2 decades now.
I see your Black Thought and I raise it to a RA Rugged Man

Demetrious Johnson, because he is shorter than the other GOATs, he is rated under them.

But really, he is probably the GOAT.
JOHNSON_DEMETRIOUS_BELT_LS.png

1) The current holder of the UFC title defense record with 11 consecutive title defenses and going.

2) The most complete fighter the sport has seen. DJ has shown skills in every aspect of the sport and exhibited them in his fights. He has it all. (Boxing, Kickboxing, Footwork, Transitions, Takedowns, Takedown Defense, Transitions, submissions, sub defense, scrambles, clinch game, speed, KO power, cardio, a solid chin, etc.) Every other GOAT candidate is missing something that DJ has in his arsenal.

3) The only GOAT candidate to reign in the era of USADA.
He fights cans so his record comes off as padded. If he added Cody and TJ to his list of defenses then his name can get thrown into the convo for GOAT. As of now, he’s a joke.

Matt Hughes doesn't get talked about in the top 10 all time like he should. I think somebody already mentioned Saku as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Username Required LMAO
Back