Most underrated champs in UFC history

Bustamante
Barao
Sylvia
Newton

Frank Sham historically seems underrated but at the time he was champ he was rated very highly maybe higher than he shouldve been at the time TBH

Do you know what the Halo Effect is? Hendricks isn't getting dominated like everyone else GSP fought. He must be winning.

Break down how you scored the fight.

Simply put the 3rd and 5th there is no argument were GSP's. 2nd and 4th were for Hendricks. The 3 judges unanimously scored these 4 rounds. The first was the deciding round.

Round 1 was 19-18 in significant strikes for GSP. 27-26 in total strikes for Hendricks. Both had 1 TD each. GSP had one submission attempt Johny zero. Close round that coiuld go either way. Johny shouldn't get extra credit for doing better than all the others who lost before him. I believe if you watched that fight on a computer played out with Random avatars like a video game and scored it you would see it as a close fight that could go either way.

GSP outstruck Hendricks overall, 4 of the rounds were within 5 strikes or less but the one other round GSP outstruck Hendricks 31-15 in significant strikes. More than double but that was a 10-9 like all the other razor close rounds? In order to be the man you gotta Beat the Man and Johnny failed to do that.

Stop saying “in order to be the man you have to beat the man”. That’s from pro wrestling. Why does a Ric Flair quote matter to so many people when discussing controversial decisions? I’m lost as to its significance.

Nicco Montano
laugh-lol.gif

Personally I think Weidman is underrated as fuck. Ppl hat him bc he won on a "fluke" ko and a "fluke" leg break but then defended 2x. He's shot now but at that run he had to the title and with it was great.

I went and saw Machida vs Weidman live. His peak was insanely good, just too bad it didn't last long and the injuries took a toll on his body.

Also, to answer TS,

Murilo Bustamante - MW
Sean Sherk - LW , although I don't think his resume at LW is all that great, but that combined with his record at WW, I think he is criminally underrated in the all time great talks, he's not the ELITE level (say level 5, he's a top level 4 fighter)

Despite being a fan of Shogun since 2005, I can't say he was underrated. He came to UFC as P4P #2 and consensus best fighter at LHW. The way he dispatched Rampage, who went on to win the title, suggested that Shougun was gonna steamroll the division. We all know what actually happened. I still think he was robbed against Machida in their first fight, but the thing is, this was never a Machida era to begin with. In 2011, 6 years after his biggest career achievement, Shogun lost the title as well as the relevance. Sadly.

The Weidman that destroyed Machida would be a problem to any MW ever, imo that was his prime

exactly, he mixed in a little bit of wrestling but for the majority of the fight he out pointed machida in a stand up fight lol he was even mixing up his attacks and not just throwing hands, he was incredible for a short time period.

Then he lost his speed and durability and turned into a big, slow, plodding MW with a very limited gas tank. It all happened so fast lol I still blame Rockhold

Based on the hate he gets here I'd say GSP is the champ who deserves more respect. He always fought the #1 contender. He was in some wars and came out victorious. He was the consummate UFC champ. Never tested positive for 'roids. Held a lot of major records when he retired. Yeah what a loser, huh?

exactly, he mixed in a little bit of wrestling but for the majority of the fight he out pointed machida in a stand up fight lol he was even mixing up his attacks and not just throwing hands, he was incredible for a short time period.

Then he lost his speed and durability and turned into a big, slow, plodding MW with a very limited gas tank. It all happened so fast lol I still blame Rockhold

Weidmans had 25 surgeries in his life and half of them were during his UFC career. That was the biggest factor IMO

Stop saying “in order to be the man you have to beat the man”. That’s from pro wrestling. Why does a Ric Flair quote matter to so many people when discussing controversial decisions? I’m lost as to its significance.
Yeah I hate that too. But its not as bad as the Wooooos during fights for no reason.
When you have a close round that is razor thin you give it to the champion. However regardless of that idea the first was the deciding factor and it was razor close. Could have gone either way. This narrative that Hendricks won and was robbed is debunked. The only DOMINANT round was the 3rd where GSP more than doubled the strikes Hendricks landed 31-15. He also doubled strikes landed in the 5th even though it was 9-4. Simple fact is GSP won a close fight, no robbery.

Underrated
HW- Tim Sylvia
LHW- Shogun
MW- Rich Franklin(If Anderson wasn't around he would have become the biggest star in the UFC imo)
WW- Lawler(he fought all the guys GSP didnt want to fight during his streak)
LW- Frankie Edgar

idc abt small guys

The main one that sticks out to me is Matt Serra. His a great fighter with a good heart, but people write him off as "lucky" to beat GSP when he beat him pretty easily and was competitive against the best. Not saying GSP isn't way better, cause he is, but Serra deserves to be remembered as a real champion.

To some degree I would say the same for forrest and him just being a brawler when he was an excellent all round fighter.

Only one I agree with is Tim the rest of your guys are held in high regards.

I agree with this, even Tim to a degree. You are talking some legends of the sport who get a lot of love. I don't think any of them are underrated.

Last edited:
Weidmans had 25 surgeries in his life and half of them were during his UFC career. That was the biggest factor IMO

ya for sure, they limited his movement which was the start of it all but the beating he took from rockhold took his chin for good. All because of a dumb, lazy kick… smh

Hughes has the most title defenses for someone who gets passed up easily and doesn't get brought up for those.

Yeah I hate that too. But its not as bad as the Wooooos during fights for no reason.
When you have a close round that is razor thin you give it to the champion. However regardless of that idea the first was the deciding factor and it was razor close. Could have gone either way. This narrative that Hendricks won and was robbed is debunked. The only DOMINANT round was the 3rd where GSP more than doubled the strikes Hendricks landed 31-15. He also doubled strikes landed in the 5th even though it was 9-4. Simple fact is GSP won a close fight, no robbery.
where in the rules does it say close rounds must be given to the champ? Also there’s no way you can say robbery debunked. Simply google biggest mma robberies and gsp vs Hendricks is universally listed. You can personally disagree, but you’re in the minority, it is what it is. Also, how dare you hate on those WOOOS! They’re catchy. It’s like vocally doing the wave. Crowds don’t need a reason to do them.

Back