Most talent-filled division right now?

Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Threat Actor
@Silver
Reaction score
I'd say it's currently the Lightweight division with Lomachenko (though he's near the end of his physical prime years), Lopez, Tank Davis, Ryan Garcia & Haney. Below that handful Linares is still talented despite his age and recent losses and Fortuna is perhaps in the discussion as well.

The only real knock is that a lot of the talent in that pool is of course new blood. They're however the most promising fighters at this early stage on raw talent, given their physical abilities, and due to their youth. At this point the younger talents appear to have plenty of upside to them and a few are potential stars in the making (PPV level stardom). A couple of them are also former Ring Magazine Prospects of the Year; Lopez was in 2018, Lomachenko was in 2013. This year I believe Ryan Garcia will win the award as he arguably should've last year (Vergil Ortiz Jr. did). They might not all pan out in the long-run but that's looking down the road.

I’d say LW as well.
I would’ve said LHW, but it’s not looking quite as stacked with kov being way over the hill now, and Beterbiev retiring his top competition.

118 looks about as good as 135 IMO. Inoue, Casimero, Nery, Oubaali, Donaire, Tete and Rigondeaux, that's a solid lineup.

It's missing the star power, youth and megastar potential that the lightweight division has (those guys also won't stay at lightweight for long). Donaire and Rigo are well past it.

It's missing the star power, youth and megastar potential that the lightweight division has (those guys also won't stay at lightweight for long). Donaire and Rigo are well past it.

Well, smaller guys usually don’t draw as much attention, that’s right, but starwise Inoue is still rising and Lomachenko isn’t getting younger. As for Donaire he looked pretty good against Monster. To each his own, I guess.

LW boasts the highest amount of prospective talent by a reasonable margin, I think. Perhaps it's a bit early to say they have the most talent, though. LHW had a period where they might have been the highest, but that moment might have passed.

LW boasts the highest amount of prospective talent by a reasonable margin, I think. Perhaps it's a bit early to say they have the most talent, though. LHW had a period where they might have been the highest, but that moment might have passed.
LHW is filled with older guys, in a few years the overall landscape of the division will be really different.

Loma, Lopez, Garcia, Tank, Haney. Now imagine the time frame for us to know who's best(if ever)? Boxing fuckin sucks!

Loma, Lopez, Garcia, Tank, Haney. Now imagine the time frame for us to know who's best(if ever)? Boxing fuckin sucks!
Two of them (Loma & Lopez obviously) are fighting next. Either way Lopez isn't sticking around the division, he's already set on moving up to Junior Welterweight after this fight or the next. Haney won't be sticking around too much longer either as both him and Lopez are young and still filling out. Lopez had to hire a nutritionist recently to allow him to still make the weight. Loma won't be sticking around much longer either as he's been saying for the last year or more now that he plans to go back to Super Featherweight once he accomplishes what he set out to do (unifying all the titles). That would leave only Garcia & Tank as the last men standing of that group. Eventually Garcia will outgrow the division too seeing that he was already walking around at over 150 pounds while he was campaigning at Super Featherweight, so he's certainly heavier than that now with the added muscle mass he's since put on.

The business of boxing certainly does suck. Who needs a Greg Jackson type figure in boxing to kill the sport when the sport is shooting itself in the foot?

118 looks about as good as 135 IMO. Inoue, Casimero, Nery, Oubaali, Donaire, Tete and Rigondeaux, that's a solid lineup.
the counterpoint to this is that nery is basically a HW at this point

A.J ,Usyk, Povetkin and Yolka are Olympic gold medalists.

Joyce, Hrgovic should be gold medalists themselves.

Fury may be the best boxer over 6”6 we’ve seen .

Ortiz ,Frank Sanchez are two of the best Cuban boxers in a minute we’ve seen .

Parker , DDD ,Whyte , Ruiz ,Bakole , Sirenko,Jennings, Rivas ,Ajagba Chisora Helenius, Breazeale ,Conto ,Vianello, H.Fury , Gorman , Fa are all solid boxing backgrounds .

You have literally dozens of fighters who are amateur ,national champions or Olympic medalists like Majidov , Mahkmudov, Dychko, Hunter ,Pulev ,Anderson ,Wilder , Wallin ,

Is this really close ? There’s way to many guys here wheather you rate them high or low to compete with compared to other classes so much we’re looking at next era already and I didn’t list at least 1/4 more of them ,I know I forget some .

Last edited:
Back