Most skilled fight in MW history?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
As you are aware, during Android's reign, the MW was the weakest division in the history of MMA. AFTER Weidman knocked him out like a clown falling off his unicyle during his over-the-top routine, the MW division for a while had a claim to be most stacked division of all time: Weidman, Rockhold, Romero, Jacare, Mousasi, Machida, TRT-or, Whitaker, Bisping, Hendo, Lombard, Brunson, and etc.

Other weight classes aren't necessarily difficult to come up with the most skilled fight in their history, though obviously there will always be some room for a debate, but I find MW the most challenging one.

FLW: Cejudo vs DJ 2
BW: Cruz vs Dillsnake?
FW: Holloway vs Volk 2 ?
LW: If Oliveira-Islam is made
WW: GSP vs pre-USADA Hendricks
MW:
LHW: Cormier vs Jones 1
HW: Cormier vs Stipe ?

I think FLW, WW and LHW ones are probably the ones with the clearest answers. Some may say Covington vs Usman is better, but trust me you, pre-USADA Hendricks would fucking destroy Covington. And I had Covington and Usman beating Woodley long, long before they became title contenders.

With another MW title fight coming up soon, what do you is the most skilled fight in MW history and why?

Could be Anderson/Hendo, or Anderson/Vitor, or Anderson/Chael. I think Izzy/Whittaker II certainly has an argument as well. Not the most entertaining fight ever, but there's no doubt those were the two best MW's in the world at the time and they had a close chess match of a fight.

Heavyweight is not Cormier Vs Stipe ffs. It's either Cain Vs JDS 3 before USADA with all the steroids that gave them cardio for days or Fedor Vs Mirko on Pride with all the super steroids that made them look like Superman. Cormier and Stipe looked like 2 senile old men in there, it was kind of sad to see how low the heavyweight division has fallen tbh

Could be Anderson/Hendo, or Anderson/Vitor, or Anderson/Chael. I think Izzy/Whittaker II certainly has an argument as well. Not the most entertaining fight ever, but there's no doubt those were the two best MW's in the world at the time and they had a close chess match of a fight.

I never thought highly of Anderson since he came to UFC, and I don't think that much of Izzy either, but hard to pick one without one of them I guess, probably why I find it so tough.

Personally, I think it's Weidman vs Rockhold/Romero/Mousasi.

Pure skill for skill, but I think accomplishments count for something whereas Izzy/Android has a lot more.

Weidman is getting some well-deserved love, good to see. I don't see that a whole lot around here, but probably the most talented MW of all time.

And just arguably the worst kick attempt in MMA history that started it all...

Weidman/Rockhold. Their skillsets are pretty high tier, with the exception of Rockholds boxing defense. Their holes are their chins/cardio, imo. Izzy/Robert is a good one but I dont think their ground game is as elevated as Rockholds and Weidmans!
TRT Vitor melted Rockhold, and he would have murdered Weidman as well if it wasn't for those damn comissions!!

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id...fc-173-cease-testosterone-replacement-therapy

TRT Vitor was levels above those 2. LEVELS!!!. He looked similar to Rumble at 205 when he was killing everyone. The fact that Anderson and Jones were able to stop him during that time is extremely impressive, but then again, those 2 were not that clean either lol

rockhold vs weidman

at bantamweight it's probably cruz vs dillashaw but also sandhagen vs yan is up there

Later, When gane is HW champion, It'll be gane vs aspinall.

Genuine LOL @ saying MW was weaker in Anderson's reign than right now. Current MW is the shallowest division I have EVER seen in mma history. Volkan getting a shot at 205 was more credible than the trash hanging around the current MW top 10.

Back