Most Sherdoggers are too ignorant to appreciate the technical brilliance of Maia-Shie

i train BJJ and found the match boring as hell. i also find most BJJ matches boring as hell to watch. Only guys that really go for it are exciting, like Leandro Lo, so often its guys trying to win by an advantage which is what this MMA match was like.

Damn title got cut off but you understood it.

Anyway, it seems that most people on here don't have the depth of knowledge to appreciate the amazing chess match that Maia-Shields was. Sure it got a little sloppy and gassed towards the end but that's to be expected. If people on here actually trained they would have seen how much both guys were doing. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Anyone who didn't appreciate that display is not a complete fan of MMA.

I would suggest to go watch K-1 or boxing but unfortunately those are both too technical for the troglodytes on here. Go watch bum fights or a sloppy brawl outside your local bar.

No. Most people on here pretend to like those kinds of fights, much like hipsters pretend to like artsy stuff to be cool. I don't know you, but I can't stand you or everyone else that comes here with some type superiority complex.

A couple fun reversals... and that's about it.

3p60ii.jpg

Main problem I had was that Shields and his corner CLEARLY was only looking to ride the top position and not take any chances. THey weren't looking for attempts to finish. They didn't want him to throw hard punches, elbows, etc...

Meanwhile, Maia went for possible finishes, which is why Shields reversed him. Once again, the fighter trying hard to finish gets no respect for the effort.

Fight was pretty boring. Neither fighter really won. Neither really showed and dominance. No near subs, no great strikes, a few good sweeps that lead to nearly nothing, and some boring clinch work. Not very fun fight to watch.

Just my opinion

Damn title got cut off but you understood it.

Anyway, it seems that most people on here don't have the depth of knowledge to appreciate the amazing chess match that Maia-Shields was. Sure it got a little sloppy and gassed towards the end but that's to be expected. If people on here actually trained they would have seen how much both guys were doing. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Anyone who didn't appreciate that display is not a complete fan of MMA.

I would suggest to go watch K-1 or boxing but unfortunately those are both too technical for the troglodytes on here. Go watch bum fights or a sloppy brawl outside your local bar.

Well I would have to say tha

Last edited:
There were some great grappling exchanges, but also lots of boring clinching and shitty stand up. I don't have to like the latter .

Same, but Ts is much smarterer than me, so he probably enjoyed the 'chess match' on the feet as well.

Yup, seems like it.

And on a sidenote, going back a few fights: Shields put on a clinic on the ground in the first 2 Rounds against Kampmann.

Ignorant: fans who thought Kampmann beat Shields.

Absolutely. People just hate Shields and think Kampmann dropped Shields in the third when in reality, Jake tried to grab his leg for a takedown.

Nothing controversial about that fight.

agreed. but this guy loved every second of that fight. a fight that made up for the lack of grappling in the okami vs jacare fight and mir vs barnett. a true fans dream match up tonight and im grateful.
# shields is legit

It was very technically impressive, but don't try and paint it like it wasn't an incredibly dull affair or that Shields really isn't a human blanket for the most part to prop yourself up as some kind of enlightened genius or some other bullshit like that TS.

I agree. Obviously not the greatest fight ever but it certainly had it's moments.

Idk how people thought jake was stalling. He was trying to pass and Maia wasn't letting him.

The technical brilliance of their striking is what really got me. I was blown away. hahahahahah

Main problem I had was that Shields and his corner CLEARLY was only looking to ride the top position and not take any chances. THey weren't looking for attempts to finish. They didn't want him to throw hard punches, elbows, etc...

Meanwhile, Maia went for possible finishes, which is why Shields reversed him. Once again, the fighter trying hard to finish gets no respect for the effort.

Jake passed the entire time and looked for a kimura several different times.

You're wrong

FOTY. i loved every moment of that fight. awesome. shields fucking killed it when no one gave him a chance.

It was very technically impressive, but don't try and paint it like it wasn't an incredibly dull affair or that Shields really isn't a human blanket for the most part to prop yourself up as some kind of enlightened genius or some other bullshit like that TS.

This shows ignorance of grappling tbh. Calling Shields a human blanket when in reality it was the technical level of Maia's guard that prevented Shields from advancing position and submission attempts. Shields was actively trying to pass while Maia was working to control Shields' position and keep him in full/half guard. Calling Shields the blanket in this situation is, you got it, ignorant.

Keep your uneducated comments to yourself. Thanks.

This shows ignorance of grappling tbh. Calling Shields a human blanket when in reality it was the technical level of Maia's guard that prevented Shields from advancing position and submission attempts. Shields was actively trying to pass while Maia was working to control Shields' position and keep him in full/half guard. Calling Shields the blanket in this situation is, you got it, ignorant.

Keep your uneducated comments to yourself. Thanks.

You're a complete moron, tbh. You really think the vast majority of Sherdog didn't realize Shields tried to pass guard at times and Maia defended against it. Gtfo.

Maybe some weren't entertained by attempts at passing guard being stuffed, however technical they were. Maybe you should open your eyes and keep your uneducated opinions to yourself.

People understood what was going on, don't think you're some kind of a genius for realizing a BJJ black belt attempted to pass guard while another BJJ black belt defended against it. The vast majority of people understood what was going on, but had higher hopes for the fight

Back