Most Sherdoggers are too ignorant to appreciate the technical brilliance of Maia-Shie

MeatheadFighter

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Damn title got cut off but you understood it.

Anyway, it seems that most people on here don't have the depth of knowledge to appreciate the amazing chess match that Maia-Shields was. Sure it got a little sloppy and gassed towards the end but that's to be expected. If people on here actually trained they would have seen how much both guys were doing. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Anyone who didn't appreciate that display is not a complete fan of MMA.

I would suggest to go watch K-1 or boxing but unfortunately those are both too technical for the troglodytes on here. Go watch bum fights or a sloppy brawl outside your local bar.

So, how'd you get dubs anyway?

Oh, never mind.

I liked the fight while it was on the ground. Shields constantly tried to pass, but it's Maia on the bottom. When Maia was on top he'd either get reversed or wouldn't even try to pass while in Shields' guard. Shield definitely was the aggressor on the ground and won that fight.

On the feet though... How can someone be in MMA for over a decade and still not have at least rudimentary striking?

if it was so brilliant why don't you enlighten us with its technical aspects instead of merely saying you were on the edge of your seat and bashing the ones who just saw shields blanket maia and not get stood up?

you're just full of shit, ts.

if it was so brilliant why don't you enlighten us with its technical aspects instead of merely saying you were on the edge of your seat and bashing the ones who just saw shields blanket maia and not get stood up?

you're just full of shit, ts.

Blanket? Did you see Shields constantly working to pass? I bet Maia's guard is almost non passable, so we got a little bit of a stalemate.

Agreed.

Its really showed the depth of the sport.

I hope they are happy in bellator, when Dana gets rid of them, so he can give Eric Silva a title shot.

I enjoyed it for sure.

I just didn't like to see a winner and loser after that. I didn't think either guy won or lost.

There were certainly some exciting exchanges, but is that what you hoped for when considering the best possible outcome?

Yes, there was a lot of technical mastery. But fans do not watch fights for technical mastery alone. Get it? Some fans like exciting fights with both fighters exhibiting a high output standing and on the ground. Get it? Some fans like violent fights, where fighters try to finish each other and not win on points. Get it?

Ok, because we don't like the same thing as you, were not worthy of being fans? We can call appreciate the technical mastery here. Maybe some of us were hoping for more. Don't think you're some genius because you like grappling matches that some fans don't find as entertaining as others.

"If people here actually trained they would have seen how much both guys were doing" Ok, toughguy. Another keyboard warrior.

I liked the fight while it was on the ground. Shields constantly tried to pass, but it's Maia on the bottom. When Maia was on top he'd either get reversed or wouldn't even try to pass while in Shields' guard. Shield definitely was the aggressor on the ground and won that fight.

On the feet though... How can someone be in MMA for over a decade and still not have at least rudimentary striking?

im sure it looks better in practice, and his striking has proven to be effective scoring wise in 3 of his last 4 fights. He isnt a striker though, so maybe he only works to keep it so he can score when the fight in on the outside..if it gets up close he's always going for the single leg.

I wish I could read, Im sure the OP is stellar

Yup, seems like it.

And on a sidenote, going back a few fights: Shields put on a clinic on the ground in the first 2 Rounds against Kampmann.

Ignorant: fans who thought Kampmann beat Shields.

I thought it was fun to watch. I was really impressed with Shields' sweeps and reversals.

There were some great grappling exchanges, but also lots of boring clinching and shitty stand up. I don't have to like the latter .

It seemed exactly the opposite to me; when Maia was on bottom he was activly trying to sweep and/or submit, which allowed Sheilds to get somewhere with his guard passing. When Sheilds was on top he either turtled, denying Maia the chance to pass guard, or locked Maia down and looked for the ref t stand them up.

I agree! That was an awesome battle. There could of been more work in the top position by both fighters and maybe some more sub attempts but it's hard when they cancel each other out.

That top position reversal by Jake was amazing.

Back