Most punches landed on Fury in a 12 round fight

You would also need to take into consideration how many punches Fury landed on them. Wlad didn't land much but he didn't get hit that much either since it was such an inactive fight.

Otto Wallin actually fought Fury how you're supposed to fight a guy like Fury. Throw a shit load of punches at whatever part of his body is there and don't back up. Pressure is how you beat a guy like that.

(assuming we're talking the more mobile version of Fury than the guy who fought wilder the second time)
I was thinking the same.

If Wilder would quit trying to connect on Tyson's chin, he wouldn't have missed as much as he did. It's a small and moving target.

In their (th)re(e)match*, Wilder should pull a Marciano and target Tyson's chest. Just throwing punches there will at least guarantee he will hit something: arms, breadbasket, ribs, head, etc.

*has anyone trademarked (th)re(e)match yet? If not, I'm claiming it now.

Wlad definitely wasn't used to guys that size especially with Fury's reach and height advantage. And yeah, Wlad's been gun shy for a while now. He was cautious against Fury. Wallin had the smarter gameplan against Fury than Wlad but it doesn't entirely explain the punch stats, at least not to me. Wallin being a southpaw seemed to help his case as well. I'd say there's a significant difference and not just statistically between how Fury treats high class opponents (serious opposition) compared to lesser opponents like Wallin. Wallin being higher output than many of Fury's other opponents and being a southpaw with the right gameplan could explain the punch stats but it looks to me like there's more to it (Fury underestimating opponents and/or fighting to their level).

Wallin deserves credit for his performance either way but how much should he be given? Not everybody thought he did as well as this forum did. BoxingScene only gave him two rounds. https://www.boxingscene.com/scorecards/Tyson-Fury-vs-Otto-Wallin--331

I remember reading an interview with John "The Iceman" Scully. He was adamant that Valuev would have beaten Klitschko easily.

The man who can beat Corona

200px-OttoWallin651121.jpeg

SAVE US OTTO!!!

He should fight Helenius in Sweden or Finland. Put together a Nordic card.

He should fight Helenius in Sweden or Finland. Put together a Nordic card.
Yeah I would watch that. Helenius used to be my guy at hw, but then he fell off the map. Never would've thought he'd have a nice lil comeback, beat down Teper and big upset over Konawcki (sp?) and Wallin's stock is pretty high for a guy who is coming off a loss. I think that could play out in a pretty fun fight, esp if they hold it in one of their home countries or that area in general, as you mentioned.

Yeah I would watch that. Helenius used to be my guy at hw, but then he fell off the map. Never would've thought he'd have a nice lil comeback, beat down Teper and big upset over Konawcki (sp?) and Wallin's stock is pretty high for a guy who is coming off a loss. I think that could play out in a pretty fun fight, esp if they hold it in one of their home countries or that area in general, as you mentioned.
Yeah both guys showed that they were there to win even if they were the underdog. Top Rank has Kabayel too. He’d be a good opponent for Wallin too.

I was thinking the same.

If Wilder would quit trying to connect on Tyson's chin, he wouldn't have missed as much as he did. It's a small and moving target.

In their (th)re(e)match*, Wilder should pull a Marciano and target Tyson's chest. Just throwing punches there will at least guarantee he will hit something: arms, breadbasket, ribs, head, etc.

*has anyone trademarked (th)re(e)match yet? If not, I'm claiming it now.
I think that Vitali at his best would have beaten Fury with his volume, pressure and by being rather akward to deal with himself.

Back