Most people agree that weight cutting is an unhealthy habit which should be eradicated ...

I tell you what. If Poirier and Gaethje had decided 2 months ago that they wanted to fight at 170 to determine the #1 contender status at 155, what do you think would have happened?

I'll tell you what. Dana, 99% of fans, and I'm guessing you would have either laughed uproariously or been thoroughly outraged by even the suggestion of something so outlandish.

But today people are taking Conor's idea seriously. And you and others are parroting Dana's words defending the idea.

For the record, I'm not doubting you think it's a good idea and agree with Dana's points with integrity. I just don't think you would have 2 months ago if Gaethje has suggested the same idea.

OK, enough time on this topic. We agree to disagree. Sorry for the rant.

Actually, I agree with you. Nonetheless I think it’s a good thing, as I am against drastic weight cutting, so if it takes Conor’s “clout” to make it acceptable to the UFC and even to me/us then ... great.

So you really think the LW version of Donald beats the WW version? The LW version has a better record because he is fighting smaller men, there is always a trade off, in Donalds case the size advantage gained turned out to be greater than the negative impact of cutting a lot of weight. But its insane to think he becomes a better fighter by cutting down to an unhealthy weight.
And yet he has a 60% win rate vs a 70% win rate. Its not about what I think its about the horse shit Conor is selling. He claims he wanted it at 170 so he could fight the best Cowboy and Donald is best at 170. That is bull shit! Perhaps being at 155 means Donald has to get into the best shape he can?

Also your argument of fighting smaller men is null and void. He was fighting Conor either way. Conor is a LW and so is Cowboy. Its not "Another Division" its not cutting weight along with another guy in the same division. Nate "Moved Up" to WW to fight Rory and Stun Gun and it became clear he isn't a WW. Conor hasn't fought at WW against a true WW.

He wanted to be first fighter to get KO/TKO in 145-155-170 , Record that will likely stand for thousonds of years. He loves making history
You forget BW. He KO'd some BWs too. If you think he really KO'd a WW you are gullible as hell. Have him try to KO or even just beat a true WW. Let's see him KO one of these guys:
Kamaru Usman
Tyron Woodley
Colby Covington
Jorge Masvidal
Leon Edwards
Demian Maia
Stephen Thompson
Robbie Lawler

If you can't see even the slightest shade of hypocrisy in calling for fighters blood every saturday night, while feigning moral outrage at the idea of weight cutting (I might add that most fighters seem to be pro weight cutting as well), I'm not the moron here.
I would have to point out that Weight Cutting in and of itself is not part of fighting. When the fighters go in the cage they use wrestling, jujitsu, boxing, kickboxing etc but they don't competitively cut weight. Its an additional health hazard that isn't necessary.

It also makes it more dangerous for the fighters as it reduces their ability to absorb impacts without taking damage. It causes them to have a lower immune system before and after their fights as well. It would be like if NFL players always played while they were cutting the grass with riding tractors and someone suggesting removing that from the game. Doesn't make the constant hitting in football any safer but it does remove an unnecessary threat to safety.

He should be fighting 155 guys at 155 simple as that if it's going to help with rankings etc

If all the other guys are killing themselves to make weight every training camp to move up the rankings then Conor should be doing the same thing.

Weight cutting effects your performance dramatically . If you have really hard weight cuts each training camp means you are training every day on a very very strict diet also dehydrating yourself , this is unhealthy and dangerous . If fightes are having a lot of problems making weight they should move up a weight class .

Rules are rules you can't have your cake and eat it too .

Conor could basically fight all these guys at a heavier weight class then go down to 155 once and get a title shot .

His strategy is to build up his strength at 170 put on more muscle then drop down on that one occasion .

Conor should be fighting 155 guys and fighting them at 155 otherwise there just exhibition or super fights and don't carry any bearing on fighter rankings.

Weight divisions exist for a reason and they have been around forever .

Not sure there's anything wrong with weight cutting, rather a problem with stupid and excessive weight cutting.
That's down to individuals and their team not on the UFC.

I've always thought weight-cutting is potentially dangerous and that lots of people do it poorly and risk their health (especially when we're talking about middle/high school kids), but it will be difficult to eradicate it unless they do same-day weigh-ins. But I don't think fighters want to (or should have to) deal with the whole media circus that surrounds those weigh-ins on the same day as their actual fight. I guess they could weigh-in quietly backstage or something, but I don't see it going away.

Well duh

He should be fighting 170 pounders if he's too fat to make weight instead of demanding LW move up

Back