Most people agree that weight cutting is an unhealthy habit which should be eradicated ...

This is a strawman. You're pretending Conor is doing it to take a stand against weight cutting when its clear hes doing it to secure himself a LW titleshot by fighting LWs at WW.

Thanks doctors.

I understand that dehydration increases risk of brain damage. My point is that getting kicked in the head for a living increases risk of brain damage far more. Of all the dangerous parts of MMA, dehydration seems like an odd sticking point for a lot of you.

If you're overly concerned about participant health and safety, this is probably not the sport for you.
You're an idiot.

You're making an argument that because the sport is dangerous, we should throw caution to the wind and just not give a shit about fighter health at all.

Yes, this sport is dangerous. But it doesn't have to be needlessly more dangerous. That's why banning weight cutting, steroids, etc. can reduce the risks to fighter health in the long run, and that's a good thing. You're making a "with us or against us" argument. Either we shouldn't give a shit about fighter health at all, or we don't like the sport.

You're a moron.

Assigned weightclasses, move everyone up a weight class (with some exceptions), add cruiserweight 225, remove hw cap, drop fw and bw. Ufc would be better. Fighters would all have more power and cardio. No weight cutting, abs wont look as good at weighins.

Its gasoline on the fire...<{hughesimpress}>

In a sport that is already so dangerous, we should do what we can to keep the participants as safe as possible. Not just shrug our shoulders and concede it's a fucked up sport so what's the point in trying....
I think this mindset ignores some key context, but I truly appreciate the time that you took to type it out and the politeness with which you disagreed with me. Have a like!

It always amazes me that in a sport where the goal is to hit someone so hard you make their brain shut down, sherdogs main concern is fighters dehydrating themselves.
It's an unnecessary risk factor that can be mitigated. Yeah, it's a dangerous sport, but there's rules, right? It'd be more dangerous with eye pokes and nut shots. Weight cutting is no different in that regard.

Conor in selling the fight said he wanted Donald at 170 as that is where Donald is best. At WW Cowboy had 10 fights and was 6-4 for a 60% win rate. At LW he is 30-10 for a 75% win rate. He had far greater success at LW where he challenged for the UFC title, beat 2 (former/future) UFC champions.

So you really think the LW version of Donald beats the WW version? The LW version has a better record because he is fighting smaller men, there is always a trade off, in Donalds case the size advantage gained turned out to be greater than the negative impact of cutting a lot of weight. But its insane to think he becomes a better fighter by cutting down to an unhealthy weight.

You're an idiot.

You're making an argument that because the sport is dangerous, we should throw caution to the wind and just not give a shit about fighter health at all.

Yes, this sport is dangerous. But it doesn't have to be needlessly more dangerous. That's why banning weight cutting, steroids, etc. can reduce the risks to fighter health in the long run, and that's a good thing. You're making a "with us or against us" argument. Either we shouldn't give a shit about fighter health at all, or we don't like the sport.

You're a moron.
If you can't see even the slightest shade of hypocrisy in calling for fighters blood every saturday night, while feigning moral outrage at the idea of weight cutting (I might add that most fighters seem to be pro weight cutting as well), I'm not the moron here.

It always amazes me that in a sport where the goal is to hit someone so hard you make their brain shut down, sherdogs main concern is fighters dehydrating themselves.
Here’s another perspective. I’d rather watch two 185lb guys fight at 175 or 180 than at 155.

I suggest we could find a set of rules that makes it safer for fighters AND better fights for fan. I hope we eventually do.

And just because it’s proving difficult doesn't meant we shouldn’t try. IMO.

No moral outrage here. I get many fans think there is nothing here to fix, and many others wish there were a solution but doubt a good one can be found. I have a 3rd opinion is all. Most likely little to nothing changes.

Last edited:
Fighting at 170 shouldn’t move you up the 155 ladder

Fighting at 170 shouldn’t move you up the 155 ladder

If the top 155 guys decide not to cut weight for a few fights and do them at 170, the winner(s) should nonetheless move up the ladder among their peers, thus at 155. Not so “black and white” I know, but you get my point.

I’m all in favor of two 170+ guys agreeing to fight at 170 for a non championship event, rather than cut to 155 just to step on a scale and then immediately rehydrate to 170+.

If the UFC allows it, it’s actually better for the fight, for the fans, for the fighters health. Win all around.

If the top 155 guys decide not to cut weight for a few fights and do them at 170, the winner(s) should nonetheless move up the ladder among their peers, thus at 155. Not so “black and white” I know, but you get my point.

I’m all in favor of two 170+ guys agreeing to fight at 170 for a non championship event, rather than cut to 155 just to step on a scale and then immediately rehydrate to 170+.

I tell you what. If Poirier and Gaethje had decided 2 months ago that they wanted to fight at 170 to determine the #1 contender status at 155, what do you think would have happened?

I'll tell you what. Dana, 99% of fans, and I'm guessing you would have either laughed uproariously or been thoroughly outraged by even the suggestion of something so outlandish.

But today people are taking Conor's idea seriously. And you and others are parroting Dana's words defending the idea.

For the record, I'm not doubting you think it's a good idea and agree with Dana's points with integrity. I just don't think you would have 2 months ago if Gaethje has suggested the same idea.

OK, enough time on this topic. We agree to disagree. Sorry for the rant.

If the UFC allows it, it’s actually better for the fight, for the fans, for the fighters health. Win all around.

I agree with you , but Conor just jumped Gaethje and he didn’t even fight in the weight class... maybe it’s just bad optics.... or maybe just switch to same day weigh ins then right?

OneFC dont release weigh in results, or hydration test results. I guess I don't view that as successful or trustworthy.

Cutting weight kinda sucks. I think we can all agree on that. In my opinion theres no way to minimize it without compromising in some other area, or a system that fighters cannot cheat.

At least the current weigh in system is straightforward and fair. Honestly if it were up to me, I'd just legalize IV use again, and go back to evening weigh ins (interestingly enough, morning weigh ins doubled the miss rate).

As you agree that weight cutting sucks and that there are things to tweak regarding weight cutting (IV use, evening weigh-ins) that means you are open to change (even if it meant changing back), I think we can continue to tweak the rules to make it harder/more disadvantageous for large weight cuts.

No, I don't care if these tweaks increase health risk to huge weight cutters, that's their own choice, I want to punish them.

So I say, fight day weigh in's. Move it closer and closer to fight time. That's the whole purpose of weight classes right? To have similar weight fighters fight? It's not to compete in who cuts the most weight successfully. Maybe add weigh ins each time someone gets tested for PEDs. Let's see who can cut weight every day for random weight tests. Oh yeah, they can't so they have no choice but to fight close to their natural weight class.

I know it's not easy, it may never happen, but then again, it might. Imagine if they did do weigh ins each time they get drug tested (which was never done randomly in the past and I'm sure people said that would never happen) and are only allowed like 5% above weight class. That would minimize weight cuts and in the long term, fighters would actually appreciate that they don't have to cut weight just to keep up with other weight cutters.

Weight Cutting is for cowards. Conor fights anyone at anytime at any weight and thats why he is the most popular fighter and makes the most money

Weight Cutting is for cowards. Conor fights anyone at anytime at any weight and thats why he is the most popular fighter and makes the most money
That is categorically false. He's demanding fights against lightweights at 170.

He wanted to be first fighter to get KO/TKO in 145-155-170 , Record that will likely stand for thousonds of years. He loves making history
That's a different argument. Let's let it stand on it's own.

Meanwhile, saying he will fight anyone anywhere at any weight is a different argument, and it is categorically false.

I mean cmon man, this is post #57 in a thread about how Conor is demanding to fight a LW at 170, because he doesn't want to fight a LW at 155. That is 179 degrees away from "anyone, any time, any weight"

Are you also in favor of the UFC only allowing one fighter to pick and choose when he does it?

Actually it’s fucking stupid. If everybody fights at natural weight for a good bit of time then have to cut for a title fight there are going to be a lot of fuck ups, because they’re not going to be used to cutting the weight. There will be a lot of title fights turning to non title fights and excuses of oh I misjudged my cut, hell we already hear that now. That shit will backfire.

Back