Most people agree that weight cutting is an unhealthy habit which should be eradicated ...

Like totally. And then peace....in the Middle East.

He is not asking for systemic weight cutting changes in UFC or MMA. He is asking to have the privilege of earning a shot at 155 by fighting other 155ers not at 155. Not for everyone, and not for a title shot. Just him, while he climbs the ranks at 155 (by fighting at 170, against other 155ers).

Let's not obfuscate the facts. Thanks.

He’s not fighting alone and the UFC is allowing it ... better than nothing I say, at least Conor and whoever he fights don’t do silly unnecessary cuts and then you never know, the idea of fighting at real-ish weights might eventually take hold.

No issues with two men weighing around 170 agreeing to fight at 170 without both - how idiotic - dehydrating to 155 and then hydrating back to 170 just because.

Its funny when fans shit on fighters for cutting a lot of weight especially if they got nothing else on the fighter. They all cut weight besides the few that i could count on 1 hand.

Agreed. Picking on one fighter who is doing the same thing as 99% of all non-HW's is ignorant, at best.

Weight cutting is part of MMA and they cut more and more. Each division fighters get bigger theres not much that can be done about that.
Well, things can be done. But it is certainly proving difficult to find a solution that isn't worse than the original problem, that most everyone can agree with. Even CSAC - after studying the issue a few years - had to roll back their idea of maxing out weight gains of 10%. That's because half of fighting were over 10%. For now they've landed on 15%. We'll see how that goes.

and the UFC is allowing it ... better than nothing I say

Fair enough.

But I think my metaphor is pertinent (albeit a bit over the top). And you just think that when it comes to long prison sentences, clemency granted by one crooked governor for one rich prisoner is better in the grand cosmic balance of things, and I disagree.

Cheers.

Last edited:
... yet now that Conor uses his leverage to basically have 155ers fight closer to their natural non-cutting weight at 170, most are outraged and complaining ... ???

Not a Conor fan nor hater, just an appreciator of no - or limited - weight cutting and everyone fighting around their real weight.

What’s the problem?
I am a big fan of eliminating weight cutting. I was very entertained by Conor's run to the FW title. Conor isn't using his leverage to change the game, he is using his leverage to change the game in his favor and to give him as many options as possible.

The first Nate fight was a perfect example. Nate said time and again that he could have made 155 lbs but Conor insisted it be at WW because Nate was late notice. I saw it for what it was, a calculated move to have things in Conor's favor. Nate at 170 will be slower than at 155. Speed is part of Conor's game. Nate at 170 in a loss is a WW three times his size. That is why Conor insisted the rematch be at 170. Nate had all the time in the world to be able to hit 155 which is where he spent virtually his entire career yet at WW Conor is "Moving Up".

Against Ceronne Conor was impressive. Those shoulder strikes that broke his nose and orbital set up the high kick and that was the end. Conor in selling the fight said he wanted Donald at 170 as that is where Donald is best. At WW Cowboy had 10 fights and was 6-4 for a 60% win rate. At LW he is 30-10 for a 75% win rate. He had far greater success at LW where he challenged for the UFC title, beat 2 (former/future) UFC champions.

Its the BS "KO's in 3 divisions" and "Moving Up" claims that put me off. He has never fought a WW, he has fought LWs without a weight cut. I don't like when someone is pissing in my ear and telling me how beautiful the sound of rain is.

Bet Gaethje wouldn’t get a 155 title shot if he beat McGregor at 170.

That’s the problem, it’s yet another Conor McGregor special circumstance rule.

Agreed. Picking on one fighter who is doing the same thing as 99% of all non-HW's is ignorant, at best.

Well, things can be done. But it is certainly proving difficult to find a solution that isn't worse than the original problem, that most everyone can agree with. Even CSAC - after studying the issue a few years - had to roll back their idea of maxing out weight gains of 10%. That's because half of fighting were over 10%. For now they've landed on 15%. We'll see how that goes.
Im not saying theres no solution but i just dont see it. Athletic comission will try their best but fighters will always gain the system. If nobody would cut weight or a reasonable amount 5-10 pounds or so it would be better for the health of the fighters but theres no easy answer.

There will always be weighr cutting to some degree. All guys don't magically weigh their fighting weights all year

It always amazes me that in a sport where the goal is to hit someone so hard you make their brain shut down, sherdogs main concern is fighters dehydrating themselves.

If your health gets fucked in a fight it is what it is . If it gets fucked making weight for a fight that is dumb. If performance is effected by weight cutting and it leads to a lot of boring hesitant fights then it’s dumb . If it increases chance of injury and even death that’s dumb. Fans hate weight cutting because it’s dumb. I don’t think it’s a concern for fighter health it’s a concern for a practice that often ruins careers and fight cards .

... yet now that Conor uses his leverage to basically have 155ers fight closer to their natural non-cutting weight at 170, most are outraged and complaining ... ???

What outrage? The worst I've heard is people saying those fights shouldn't count as wins at welterweight.

(Plus, there's the whole "three times the size of me" bit which, while being obvious promotion, still makes it sound like Conor feels those people are natural welterweights, not non-cutting lightweights.)

If your health gets fucked in a fight it is what it is . If it gets fucked making weight for a fight that is dumb. If performance is effected by weight cutting and it leads to a lot of boring hesitant fights then it’s dumb . If it increases chance of injury and even death that’s dumb. Fans hate weight cutting because it’s dumb. I don’t think it’s a concern for fighter health it’s a concern for a practice that often ruins careers and fight cards .
In that case, how do you propose we end weight cutting?

If it was that easy and beneficial, literally any one of the many successful MMA organizations would have implemented weight cutting measures. (OneFC weight cutting rules are a total sham).

Not a Conor fan nor hater, just an appreciator of no - or limited - weight cutting and everyone fighting around their real weight.

What’s the problem?
Lol, well, I think theres another motive behind Conor and all this. Hes fighting other lightweights at 170 where , yes, it eliminates the cutting but it has also let him ,ufc,wme,Dana and coach navigate him through obvious favorable options. First Diaz fight only one that backfired and he was a -440 favorite. I think he doesnt want to ACTUALLY fight a WELTERWEIGHT so he can be lazy and not worry about the weight cut process by fighting lightweights at ...."eye wink " ..." welterweight ".I also get this feeling he doesn't want to fight khabib agsin or he feels hes not quite ready for re match ( which he hasnt earned yet anyway).

Gee, what a surprise- the latest : looking to fight the wreckless gaejthe ( another lightweight) at 170. LoL.....all I hear is this talk about fighting Maz but hmmmm- nothing comes to fruition .

TALK. LIP SERVICE.

Conor has yet to fight a welterweight . Do all you sheep understand this ?.

I dont even think hed take Nate 3 at this point cause Nate walk around weight is in actual welterweight waters.

This shit too funny and transparent but I guess not so much.

In that case, how do you propose we end weight cutting?

If it was that easy and beneficial, literally any one of the many successful MMA organizations would have implemented weight cutting measures. (OneFC weight cutting rules are a total sham).

There are many ways to gradually reduce weight cutting. No way to end it, but you can minimize it. Challenging to implement, but can be done. Many things are challenging to change - legalizing MMA, adding weight classes when there was none to start with, etc.

I don't follow OneFC that closely, just know the basics. I'm sure it's far from perfect, but it seems like it is not a TOTAL sham. Demetrious Johnson is now fighting at 135 for the Flyweight class so I'm pretty sure that means 10 pounds less weight cutting?

There are many ways to gradually reduce weight cutting. No way to end it, but you can minimize it. Challenging to implement, but can be done. Many things are challenging to change - legalizing MMA, adding weight classes when there was none to start with, etc.

I don't follow OneFC that closely, just know the basics. I'm sure it's far from perfect, but it seems like it is not a TOTAL sham. Demetrious Johnson is now fighting at 135 for the Flyweight class so I'm pretty sure that means 10 pounds less weight cutting?
OneFC dont release weigh in results, or hydration test results. I guess I don't view that as successful or trustworthy.

Cutting weight kinda sucks. I think we can all agree on that. In my opinion theres no way to minimize it without compromising in some other area, or a system that fighters cannot cheat.

At least the current weigh in system is straightforward and fair. Honestly if it were up to me, I'd just legalize IV use again, and go back to evening weigh ins (interestingly enough, morning weigh ins doubled the miss rate).

It always amazes me that in a sport where the goal is to hit someone so hard you make their brain shut down, sherdogs main concern is fighters dehydrating themselves.

The brain is the last place to rehydrate... weight cutting makes cte worse! Most of the deaths in combat sports are related to poor weight cuts!

Right, you're c learly uneducated so don't hurt your brain thinking too hard.

Allow me to explain it to you. The brain is cushioned by layers called the meninges. This layer acts as a spongy cushion to protect your brain. When you dehydrate yourself, you suck the water out of this layer, and you reduce the protection on your brain. That layer doesn't fully rehydrate after a significant weight cut. Therefore you are putting yourself at significantly increased risk for a TBI by cutting significant amounts of weight.

TL;DR: Weight cutting significantly increases the risk of concussion and TBI.

What’s the problem?

It completely fucks with the whole ranking system( Yes I know the UFC doesn't really adhere to any ranks anyways)

The brain is the last place to rehydrate... weight cutting makes cte worse! Most of the deaths in combat sports are related to poor weight cuts!

Right, you're c learly uneducated so don't hurt your brain thinking too hard.

Allow me to explain it to you. The brain is cushioned by layers called the meninges. This layer acts as a spongy cushion to protect your brain. When you dehydrate yourself, you suck the water out of this layer, and you reduce the protection on your brain. That layer doesn't fully rehydrate after a significant weight cut. Therefore you are putting yourself at significantly increased risk for a TBI by cutting significant amounts of weight.

TL;DR: Weight cutting significantly increases the risk of concussion and TBI.

Thanks doctors.

I understand that dehydration increases risk of brain damage. My point is that getting kicked in the head for a living increases risk of brain damage far more. Of all the dangerous parts of MMA, dehydration seems like an odd sticking point for a lot of you.

If you're overly concerned about participant health and safety, this is probably not the sport for you.

What’s the problem?

You can't mention Conor without extreme takes on opposite sides. Pretty normal responses.

Thanks doctors.

I understand that dehydration increases risk of brain damage. My point is that getting kicked in the head for a living increases risk of brain damage far more. Of all the dangerous parts of MMA, dehydration seems like an odd sticking point for a lot of you.

If you're overly concerned about participant health and safety, this is probably not the sport for you.

Its gasoline on the fire...<{hughesimpress}>

In a sport that is already so dangerous, we should do what we can to keep the participants as safe as possible. Not just shrug our shoulders and concede it's a fucked up sport so what's the point in trying....

Back