most miss matched fight from a regional guy coming into the ufc?

Anderson Silva vs Leben but reversed roles.
This will always be one of my favorite MMA moments. Leben trying to clown Anderson with his "send him back to Japan" line and then Anderson clowns Leben inside a minute with a 100% striking accuracy (except that one punch he missed because Leben was falling).

Leben's career basically ended with that fight because he was never a real contender again

Easily was Rhys McKee vs Khamzat. Didn’t get a single strike and was just completely dominated for every single of part of the first round the fight lasted.

Ferguson vs Vannata
Dude Vannata almost finished Tony in that fight and shot Vannata into stardom that night, it also made Dana white love the guy, Vannata is still fighting in the UFC.. doing not the best but is exciting. I would say it was an immediate mismatch on paper, but in the fight he took it to Tony..

Although Tony gets hurt a lot only to come back in a lot of his fights so ... yeah.

Dude Vannata almost finished Tony in that fight and shot Vannata into stardom that night, it also made Dana white love the guy, Vannata is still fighting in the UFC.. doing not the best but is exciting. I would say it was an immediate mismatch on paper, but in the fight he took it to Tony..

Although Tony gets hurt a lot only to come back in a lot of his fights so ... yeah.

Yeah, it turned out pretty well for him but at the time it was a tall task for a guy making his UFC debut from the regionals.

Kind of a funny story about this stuff here:

So in my amateur mma days (2002-2006) the scene was an absolute unregulated shitshow pretty much worldwide. One of the co-promoters at an event I fought at was a fighter named Kerry Schall. He was telling me to not trust a fucking thing the other promoter (his old manager) says as he will do anything to make a fight happen to make some dough.

Kerry told about one time he was approached by his manager about doing an easy tournament which he would be the favorite to win as he’s the biggest guy there by far. Kerry said “Sure, who am I fighting in the first round?” His manager said “oh I don’t know some unnamed Russian guy”

That “Russian guy” wound be being fucking Fedor. It went about as well as you’d expect.

Last edited:
I know he had a boxing career so wasn't just a random person, but I think Dashon Johnson's fake MMA career being exposed by Jake Matthews and Pepe both very easily could be a good example of that

Actually I have the ultimate answer.. Look Up Mike Crisman vs James Irvin.. I met Mike, he fought on the regional seen in utah, He fought against Brandon Thatch who had a little UFC main event stent before falling off.. But the James Irvin fight which ended in a No Contest was crazy.. James Irvin was a long time UFC vet.. and Crisman was ....... well he was.. an amatueur that took a crack at professional fighting.. tough kid.. his record is now 14-35..

But he got fed to the wolves that night, I remember hearing how James Irvin was pissed to even get the matchup Crisman was a fill in.. had no business fighting a UFC Vet like that. It ended with Irvin Kneein'g Crissman when he was down. Mike actually landed a really good punch at the start. Ken Shamrock was the Ref

I can't agree; that fight was pretty competitive.

Lando showed that he can hang, but match up wise, it was a tall task for a dude making his UFC debut from the regionals.

This will always be one of my favorite MMA moments. Leben trying to clown Anderson with his "send him back to Japan" line and then Anderson clowns Leben inside a minute with a 100% striking accuracy (except that one punch he missed because Leben was falling).

Leben's career basically ended with that fight because he was never a real contender again
Same man. Absolute masterpiece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back