most miss matched fight from a regional guy coming into the ufc?

WA2OOO

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
i remember hearing stories of managers that were part of other orgs feeding people easy people to build them up to get them in the UFC to get a % of their pay. what are some of the most blatant fights where this happened when someone came into the ufc.
it can be short notice or not

Of course the ultimate answer is Peter McNeely in boxing. “Undefeated” guy fighting Mike Tyson in his post-prison debut. It fooled nobody - and I don’t mean that figuratively - but he got a one time big payday out of it so good for him.

These days even the regional circuits are killer. I doubt it’s happened they way you’re picturing very many times since, say, TUF exploded into the scene. Maybe in the olden days.

That's like a box of chocolates ......there have been so many without anyone really knowing what was going to happen ( and sure there have been plenty of meals fed , too. So many - who knows)

Ilir Latifi was brought in on a few days notice to get pieced up by a one legged Gegard Mousasi.

Reactions: d2s
Horcher vs Khabib

I mean, it was a short notice replacement but that's quite a tough first fight in the UFC.
Think you misunderstood TS's question. He's asking about fighters who were fed cans while still on the regional scene in order to inflate their win-loss record to get into the UFC.

Actually Khabib would probably be a good example. In his last fight before joining the UFC he fought Arymacel Santos who had a 27-22 record at the time.

In the fight before that he faced Vadim Sandulitsky who was making his debut.

As an 11-0 fighter Khabib fought Ashot Shahinyan who was 0-2 at the time. Etc, etc.

I am far from a Khabib hater, he is a great fighter but there's a reason people knock his pre-UFC record

Think you misunderstood TS's question. He's asking about fighters who were fed cans while still on the regional scene in order to inflate their win-loss record to get into the UFC.

Actually Khabib would probably be a good example. In his last fight before joining the UFC he fought Arymacel Santos who had a 27-22 record at the time.

In the fight before that he faced Vadim Sandulitsky who was making his debut.

As an 11-0 fighter Khabib fought Ashot Shahinyan who was 0-2 at the time. Etc, etc.

I am far from a Khabib hater, he is a great fighter but there's a reason people knock his pre-UFC record

No, I got that. It's just the thread title and the part that says, "It can be short notice or not" seemed like TS was allowing room for broader answers.

No, I got that. It's just the thread title and the part that says, "It can be short notice or not" seemed like TS was allowing room for broader answers.
Ok sure. The thread title and the OP seem to be asking different questions.

Marcelo Rojo against Charles Jourdain, It was his first fight in UFC after a long journey, but was a very hard fight for Rojo

Also Pat Cummins vs DC
They actually hyped that fight to be somewhat interesting. I remember DC basically admitting that Cummins made him cry in the wrestling room. Had a decent enough career.

Back