Most interesting division for 2016?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MMAd Man, Aug 4, 2015.

1. MMAd Man

MMAd Man Orange Belt

Thoughts on which division will be most interesting in 2016?

I am actually quite tempted to say HW! With the Fedor rumours, Cain being dethroned, resurgence of Mir/Arlovski/Cro Cop, potential of Jon Jones moving up if he returns (I really don't think he has anything to prove at LHW if he comes back). Really hard to predict who will hold that belt in 2016.

Having said that Weidman has a long line of killers to get through and I see the LW belt changing hands a few times next year.

McGregor/Aldo/Edgar/Mendes match ups at FW should get interesting for 2016 too.

2. UniqueSteez

UniqueSteez Be water my friend. Platinum Member

The Featherweight division due the amount of young talented prospects. Max Holloway for example is ranked in the top five at only twenty five years of age.

3. ConradMcgilcuty

ConradMcgilcuty Purple Belt

Featherweight followed by middleweight and bantamweight. The return of cruz (fingers crossed).

4. Mikedh

Mikedh Silver Belt

FW, LW, WW, and MW. BW needs Cruz back.

5. matrat103

matrat103 Guns don't kill people, the government does. Platinum Member

23, actually.

6. UniqueSteez

UniqueSteez Be water my friend. Platinum Member

Oh yeah that's right whoops, boy does Max Holloway have a bright future imagine the growth of his skills by age thirty.

7. Better Every Day

Better Every Day Zhang finishing Andrade avatar Platinum Member

Strawweight division.

You'll see... :icon_chee

8. AJ Garcia

AJ Garcia Level 10 Keyboard warrior Professional Fighter

Lw depending if people heal up. Rda will fight cowboy. Winner will likely fight khabib. Winner will likely fight pettis. Plus you have Johnson and ferg in the mix. Edson could go on a run as well. The matchups are endless.

9. rl4090526

rl4090526 Purple Belt

FW for sure. my boy KZ will be back from his military service in 2016 to put his hands on Conor

10. bosox32

bosox32 Brown Belt

FW. My boy Edgar coming for that belt.

11. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Titanium Belt

MW and LW intrigue me right now.

12. Despotic

Despotic Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

As per usual, 155 remains a bottomless pit of destroyers. It's seems like it never ends.

Heavyweight and middleweight seems interesting, too. Especially since Weidman is openly telling people he's going to be at 205 sooner rather than later. Outside of Weidman, 185 is the Wild West. It's anyone's belt if he does decide to go up in weight.

I honestly don't think Jon Jones can make 205 and Chris Weidman can make 185 without the quick replenishment of IV saline and whatever else.

We might see Jon Jones at 240 upon his return. That's some shit, eh?!?

13. JoshR86

JoshR86 Black Belt

JJ walks around at like 217, 8% water weight gives him a lot of room at 205

14. Despotic

His older brother weighs 320 and his younger brother weighs 265-275. Trust me man, the fighter talk about I weigh this and that, it's all mind games. I've seen Jon Jones between fights and there's no way he was less than 230 much less 217.

Just like Conor says he's 175-180. It's hyperbole intended to make your opponent think you're in control of your body and ready to fight tooth and nail.

15. MacDougall

MacDougall Brown Belt

Middleweight. Weidman has three champ calibre guys lining up to knock him down. Chida, Vitor, Mousasi, Silva, Bisping and Hendo are all there or thereabouts one or two fights from a title shot and then there are guys like Alvey, Whittaker and Samman looking to stamp themselves in the division waiting on the outskirts.

Welterweight. Any of 10 guys could beat Lawler on their day. A wide open division and GSP just waiting for someone to give him a reason to come back. If Lawler can hold the belt for a couple more defences the temptation will be too much for GSP to resist I think. Has some of the best up and comers in Nelson, Larkin, Wonderboy, Mein, Magny, LaFlare and has the best talent outside the UFC.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  16. Dreaming Dead

Dreaming Dead Black Belt

155 is still the best division and that will stay the same for a long time.

17. Reason

Reason Black Belt

mw. lw if mcgoat and khabib fight in 2016 at 155

18. Despotic

Alvey is an animal. Not sure if he has the grappling to hang though. Watch his fight against Vianna. Close fight but he definitely lost because of his grappling.

You make an excellent point about 170. I feel MMA is approaching the level boxing has been at since the 1970s...there's no weak division anymore. Just when it seems like there's another champ to clear out the division, another group of hungry killers comes into the picture. I'm wondering when Askren will quit his shit and sign with the UFC. He thinks they aren't going to pay him enough... Maybe after a couple of fights that don't involve Asian cans he can negotiate some real money. It's not like he lacks the talent it's just that the UFC already has Hendricks. He needs to develop something new and exciting into his game. I think his submission game is the obvious answer since he obviously lacks the raw punching power hendricks possesses. If he starts choking motherfuckers he'll become a commodity before he knows it. He might be the best wrestler to ever fight in MMA. I know Romero, Cormier, Hendricks, Cummins are just as decorated, but damn just watching his college matches shouts a true prodigy that can truly go far, he just has to be open minded to new facets of his game. He has excellent top control... Let's see some bulldogs, anacondas, d'arces, farm chokes, etc. Those are the hardest to defend if they've got good position

19. MacDougall

MacDougall Brown Belt

It's interesting because I think RDA is probably the least champ-like champ I've ever seen. He doesn't have the "it" factor of other champs... I wonder how long he'll last...

Personally I think 155 is the weakest it has been in UFC history.

20. Despotic

RDA, Cerrone, Pettis, Bendo, Alvarez, Giblert, Khabib, Furguson and the long list of dangerous veterans just outside of the top contenders list. 155 is easily Bellator's deepest division and Gaethje is obviously WSOFs only legitimately elite fighter. Moraes looks too beatable.

155 is MMAs deepest division, and it has been since the days of BJ, Uno, Pulver, Ludwig, Gomi, Azevedo, Sudo, etc circa 2002ish.