Most impressive escape: Jones vs Khabib vs Volk?

Wasn't the Khabib escape from halfguard? I would drop that one from the list. Not that it wasn't a good escape but he at least had some position. Volk one is probably craziest, dudes head was turning purple. I also think Jones may have taken a little damage from that armbar even though it didn't break. Maybe a sprain or something

Reactions: MCS
Wasn't the Khabib escape from halfguard? I would drop that one from the list.
2006 join date... and yet you clearly don't understand how guillotines work.

You can have an extremely strong guillotine in half guard. The relevant question is not whether your opponent is in full guard or half guard. The relevant question is whether the top player is crossbody or not. Khabib was not crossbody. Poirier had him on the dangerous side, and the guillotine was extremely tight.

This is why Oliveira was able to finish Kevin Lee from half guard:

Nate Diaz finished Guillard from half guard

There is a total misconception about how guillotines work. Going closed guard when attacking a guillotine has tons of disadvantages.

2006 join date... and yet you clearly don't understand how guillotines work.

You can have an extremely strong guillotine in half guard. The relevant question is not whether your opponent is in full guard or half guard. The relevant question is whether the top player is crossbody or not. Khabib was not crossbody. Poirier had him on the dangerous side, and the guillotine was extremely tight.

This is why Oliveira was able to finish Kevin Lee from half guard:

Nate Diaz finished Guillard from half guard

There is a total misconception about how guillotines work. Going closed guard when attacking a guillotine has tons of disadvantages.

Lol I never said it can’t be done from half guard goober. The volk one was in fucking mount. You gonna try to argue that half guard is better than mount for that finish?

Lol I never said it can’t be done from half guard goober. The volk one was in fucking mount. You gonna try to argue that half guard is better than mount for that finish?
Uhh... in some situations, yes. Hence why people when they are in a tight guillotine will voluntarily go to their back. Watch the first video in this clip. This is a virtually identical position to what Poirier had against Khabib, and Font's defense was to give up the mount.

Giving up the mount in this situation makes it more difficult for your opponent to apply cervical flexion.

Dan Hardy getting out of GSP's armbar is up there.

gsp_vs_hardy.gif
GSP mentioned he never wanted to snap his arm though...Khabib was never in serious trouble vs. Poirier...Volk on the otherhand was fish tailing for a moment so I would say Volk's escape because he was so close to getting to sleep...my favorite sub escape though was rampage...
L9CHz3C.gif

GSP mentioned he never wanted to snap his arm though...Khabib was never in serious trouble vs. Poirier...Volk on the otherhand was fish tailing for a moment so I would say Volk's escape because he was so close to getting to sleep...
True, GSP looked like he could have done a lot more with that if he really wanted to.

Uhh... in some situations, yes. Hence why people when they are in a tight guillotine will voluntarily go to their back.

(edit: Deleted video posted of Koch/Ortega.)
In desperation to make space for a scramble maybe. They’re not doing it because it’s a better position. If they’re mounted and it’s locked in in mount it’s worse. There is no debating that

Ortega couldn't breath properly from Volk's headbutt.
Otherwise he could've had enough oxygen for his muscles to get the choke win.
Also Ortega didn't get his second hand to work properly for the choke.

Jones escaping being sentenced to prison is the best, up there with mcgregor

How these guys escape the law is much more impressive than any fighter escaping a sub attempt

In desperation to make space for a scramble maybe. They’re not doing it because it’s a better position. If they’re mounted and it’s locked in in mount it’s worse. There is no debating that
You're not correct, because you don't understand how modern players attack guillotines.

The modern guillotine is as much of a push as it is a pull. The modern guillotine involves using your shoulder to push your opponent's head between the defenders legs, and push their neck against your forearm.

Rener Gracie explains this very well in this video, timestamped:

You can apply far more of this pushing pressure on your back then you can on top. More to the point, having your hips aligned with your opponent (either in full guard or mount) actually restricts the attackers ability to apply this pushing pressure.

So yes, again, a mounted guillotine is not the be all end all of guillotines.

I'd probably say Volk-Ortega

the Jones-Vitor armbar was deep too. But Ortega was in FULL MOUNT. Not only did he lose the choke he lost the position and the round.

its always embarrassing to see a fight lose mount position

volk since he's not massive for the division

You're not correct, because you don't understand how modern players attack guillotines.

The modern guillotine is as much of a push as it is a pull. The modern guillotine involves using your shoulder to push your opponent's head between the defenders legs, and push their neck against your forearm.

Rener Gracie explains this very well in this video, timestamped:

You can apply far more of this pushing pressure on your back then you can on top.

So yes, again, a mounted guillotine is not the be all end all of guillotines.

What are you talking about the modern guillotine? It’s been that way since I’ve known it where you crunch down on their head. This can be done just fine in mount and Ortega was doing it. There is no way to really alleviate the pressure from the mount, unlike if it’s on you in a guard. Furthermore there’s really no where to go from mount since all you can do is try and buck them into guard- where they can still finish.

The only real problem n mount is it can be a little harder to get a good grip because you’re playing tight to their chest. If I was a betting man, I would guess that Ortega didn’t have the best grip going in. Once Volk broke it there was no chance of really getting it back which he might have been able to do from his back where you can try and make space to slip your grip back in.

GSP mentioned he never wanted to snap his arm though...Khabib was never in serious trouble vs. Poirier...Volk on the otherhand was fish tailing for a moment so I would say Volk's escape because he was so close to getting to sleep...my favorite sub escape though was rampage...
L9CHz3C.gif
Holy shit
Is this allowed in the ufc ??

jones vs vitor was easily the worst. he tried to pull straight out of a tight armbar from guard, almost got it snapped due to crap technique. both volkanovski's are the best. Khabib he middle-est-est

Back