Most Important in Grappling?

johil d'o said:
I've got one word for you, and it's something Rickson repeats over and over:

BASE

That is the most important concept in BJJ or other grappling.

That's true man. With base, you can do anything. Without it, you're doomed.

If I could only work on one, it would be positioning. But, while training multiple things I would prioritize it differently:

1) Submission Escapes
2) Position Escapes
3) Submissions
4) Positioning
5) Takedowns

Good/great escapes will keep you going long enough to fire off a submission. Positioning and takedowns are great assists in doing this. (i.e. good positioning can mean less need to do escapes (position or submission) and make submissions easier). I understand traditional BJJ doctrine is positioning over submission and the reasons behind it. I just don't think it applicable in a grappling situation where there are no strikes being performed or even simulated.

Things would get changed around a bit for MMA.

Postioning and movement would be number one to me. I'd place more importance on recognising and avoiding psoitions that leave you in danger of being submitted than actual escapes to be used when the submissions is put on. If that made any sense. Sorry tired today.
I mean, learning not to expose your arms and protect your neck is more important, IMO, than learning how to escape an almost locked out armbar.
It's a lot easier as well, to recognise and totally avoid the situation, than have to struggle your way out of a fucked up place.

I am continously working on my takedowns and defense because for me this is my weak part but if limited to the choices provided I will go with:

Position

Submission

Escape

Escape. While escaping tap after tap, it gives you the time to figure out sweeps, positions and subs. If someone bumrushes you and is bigger, what is left to do?

positioning is _everything_. if you're in a good position it's easier to tap a guy or escape submissions anyway.

good positioning doesn't mean always maintaining mount/side control.. it means having a good base and solid sense of what to do in every position you might be in. there's a good saying that applies to jiujitsu, 'it's easier to stay out of trouble than it is to get out of trouble'.

I agree with the guywho said takedowns.

I train with guys who compete in MMA events here in the midwest, and we roll pure grappling, and with strikes.

Simply put, you don't want to be taken down, and be the guy on the bottm with guys who know what they're doing and can punch you in the face when you go for subs and sweeps. Even with pure grappling, obviously working things from the top is better.

So I would say takedowns, and especially takedown defense is key. I don't know how many times i've worn someone out by thwarting a few takedowns. Making a guy work out of a good sprawl can set up some nice chokes and neck cranks, as well as wear him out.

So my list would be:

1. Takedown D
2. Takedowns
3. Positioning
4. Subs.

Oh, and without good stamina and cardio you're useless too. Superb cardio with good working knowledge of how to stay out of trouble goes a LONG way.

i dont think takedowns are that important you can always just pull guard

Takedowns are important in wrestling, but not so much in BJJ. You can take guard, 1/2 guard, play from the bottom, etc.

The guy that takes you down isn't necessarily the winner. How many UFC's did it take to prove that? Lots of non-wrestlers or judokas have done quite well in the history of MMA.

BASE!!!!

You lose your base, you have nothing. Keep your base, and you are in no danger.

VTJas81 said:
First u'd want to learn to defend, so I'd say learning to escape out of bad positions because you will be put there. Then learning positions and controling those positions. Next submission defense and lastly submissions. Roy harris has an article on BJJ progression on BJJ.org i believe

yea, thats a good article he wrote

To me, knowing submissions and being able to execute at will and without thought is the essence of submission-grappling.

Bmonk said:
1) Positioning
2) Submissions
3) Escapes

This is exactly right but only against ignorant competition. (Street fights and total newbs)

Switch submissions with escapes against experienced competitors.

In my mind, if I'm in a position where I have to escape from a pin or a sub, I've already lost. Escapes is definitely last on my list, not that I don't know how to do them, but once you are good you should always be in control, and your opponent two whole steps away from submitting you.

Strong neck and back, if you wanna train for a long time.

QingTian said:
In my mind, if I'm in a position where I have to escape from a pin or a sub, I've already lost. Escapes is definitely last on my list, not that I don't know how to do them, but once you are good you should always be in control, and your opponent two whole steps away from submitting you.

Against competition of an equal caliber this is very unrealistic. Good in theory, sounds good to the ear, but just isn't an accurate representation of real grappling scenarios between equals.

Back