Most important factor for a marketable fighter?

Personally I think Brock doesn’t count because he was so famous from the WWE.

Secondly, Ronda and Conor both were first round finishers.

GSP is the exception.

If you look at boxing out of the 10 most marketable fighters outside of the HW division over the last 10 years 9 out of 10 are all knockout artists, the exception is Floyd who played the heel.

Who were those top 10 boxers?

Haha the guy is a KO machine and you don't even know him.
You proved yourself that your point is wrong

Well, no. Obviously you can be a ko machine in lesser orgs and not be famous or even "known". Depends on your opponents.

Say what you want, but whiteness is sadly a factor.

Even the poster above me that says Conor, Ronda, Brock and GSP are very different had to notice they all have the same skin color

In the UFC, maybe, but boxing has proved that black fighters can be far more popular than white ones. It has to do with your personality, style, and success, and it just happens that in the UFC, white fighters have had a better combination of those attributes so far.

Say what you want, but whiteness is sadly a factor.

Even the poster above me that says Conor, Ronda, Brock and GSP are very different had to notice they all have the same skin color
Nothing here is a factor.
That just an "It" factor, and whether the marketable fighter has it, or it doesn't.

That's why marketable stars - GSP, Ronda, Brock, Conor - are so different
Wait. Andersen Silva wasn't marketable?

Well, no. Obviously you can be a ko machine in lesser orgs and not be famous or even "known". Depends on your opponents.

He's doing this in the UFC....against opponents of Conor's caliber when he became famous.

What do you think is the most important factor for assessing how marketable a fighter is?

Personally I think nothing puts bums in seats like a knockout puncher.

Muscularity, trash talk and region/nationality are also factors. As is having a congruent image.

But I think being a knockout artist tops the list.

If it were an actor I’d say looking like Brad Pitt but this is the cage fighting business.
A good promoter / promotion . A good promoter can sell you anything and has the platform to do it . No UFC star would be a star without the UFC stage .

He's doing this in the UFC....against opponents of Conor's caliber when he became famous.

I'm not saying that you don't have an advantage in being marketable. Obviously you do.

I'm not saying that you don't have an advantage in being marketable. Obviously you do.

The deal is ,being KO artist simply doesn't make you marketable.
Or MORE marketable, if you are one already

What do you think is the most important factor for assessing how marketable a fighter is?

Muscularity, trash talk and region/nationality are also factors. As is having a congruent image.

If it were an actor I’d say looking like Brad Pitt but this is the cage fighting business.
This is why Conor is massive: KO artist, expert trash talker, has the image down and is from Ireland, which is famous for being the most passionate sport fans ever. McGregor was just a perfect storm and I don't foresee any MMA fighter capturing lightning in a bottle like that again.

The deal is ,being KO artist simply doesn't make you marketable.
Or MORE marketable, if you are one already

Depends on the ones you knock out. In general, being a KO artist is definitely gonna make you more marketable.

Just look at Conor taking everything and everybody else starving and you'll see it takes multiple factors:

- He has a very good WWE style gimmick being an Irish trash talker.
- He has a country behind him.
- He's an entertaining striker.
- He wins.
- His look suits his role.
- He has charisma, wit, funny.

If you had Brad Pitt from Snatch in real life, talking strange gypsy trash and one punch Ko’ing people at 55’ or 45’ (I’m guessing one of those classes is where he would be), he’d fill seats like a som bitch.

Connor is a poor mans Mickey the Gypsy

Fedor isn't charismatic. He just happened to be the best.
And yet he was never a huge draw.

Both Silva and Jones were considered by many as the best, but whenever they were the "A" side they did subpar buyrates; the language barrier impeded whatever charisma Silva might have otherwise demonstrated, and Jones being fake made it impossible for fans to connect with him.

And yet he was never a huge draw.

Both Silva and Jones were considered by many as the best, but whenever they were the "A" side they did subpar buyrates; the language barrier impeded whatever charisma Silva might have otherwise demonstrated, and Jones being fake made it impossible for fans to connect with him.

Subpar as to opposed by what? Certainly not the numbers the UFC are doing now.

Conor is special. He's got pretty much all of what takes being a draw. Except being undefeated. But, and this is important, he's got legit excuses when he gets defeated. He literally moved from 145 to 170 when he got beat by Nate i.e. Got beat by Mayweather, did better than most expected.

Back