Most important basic move for self defense, guard retention or get up?

Gotta go by feel. If you can feel that you're better than him on the ground, stay there. If not then get up.

Get up, stand up.

Stand up for your right.

Get up, stand up.

Don't give up the fight.

All depends on your level and his level on the ground and on the feet.
If you are a good bjjer and get taken down by a big MT champ or boxing champ who has no ground game at all, it's probably better for you to recover guard and to try to submit them from there. Never listen to guys who tell you there is only one rule, like "never stay on your back in a street fight" or so... Again, if I'm fighting Deontay Wilder, who is 40 pounds heavier than me and a world class boxer, I'm 100% fucked on the feet. On the ground, I might be fucked too if he lands on me from side control or even guard, but I might have a chance to sweep him, get on top, and win. Not a big chance but more than on the feet for sure.
If you don't know bjj you are basically fucked against anyone who is on top and bigger than you, so you might learn the technical get up. Btw you have to learn some basic guard retention too, since you frst have to have your opponent in some guard to get up... You can't perform a technical get up if you are pinned.
But more important, learn to strike in a way that don't make tds too easy.
What can win you matches in boxing and mt, like high guard, pressure, throwing a lot of leg kicks etc will get you slammed on concrete against a bigger guy.
So stay on the outside, jab the fuck out of him, force him to chase you to get him tired, don't kick too much unless you know your timing is on point nd he won't catch it etc.

I really think it depends on your level and what you’re comfortable with. If you do take downs a lot, I think scrambling back to your feet would be a natural thing to do. Even if you get taken down, most of the time it’s not in any real locked down position any way.

I agree with the technical standup is an option but because I’ve never drilled it, I probably wouldn’t be able to pull it off against a bigger guy. I would probably do the side control escape to single leg and reverse the guy or would retain guard and take the back, etc.

I do think drilling the technical stand up from side control is worthwhile if it really is a concern for you but truthfully scrambling is probably easier especially if you have grappled for a few years. Just frame and don’t let them get to side control and then scramble back to your feet.

Back