Most important basic move for self defense, guard retention or get up?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
Let's say you got taken down, so let's not talk about the throws or takedowns, but let's say that you got taken down by much bigger opponent, stronger opponent. Let's say it was a robber or something, and it's a life or death struggle.

But, let's say that he doesn't have a weapon. What's the more important basic move, if not the most important basic move, retaining your guard or getting up?

If you got taken down in a struggle, let's say on a concrete, he probably landed in side control, or at least half guard, at worst mount position.

What's most important abilty, able to get up or get a guard back?

*ps: I'm assuming that in a struggle, you are more likely to land in a side control with much bigger guy, and assuming you can't sweep the guy from side control.

All depends on your level and his level on the ground and on the feet.
If you are a good bjjer and get taken down by a big MT champ or boxing champ who has no ground game at all, it's probably better for you to recover guard and to try to submit them from there. Never listen to guys who tell you there is only one rule, like "never stay on your back in a street fight" or so... Again, if I'm fighting Deontay Wilder, who is 40 pounds heavier than me and a world class boxer, I'm 100% fucked on the feet. On the ground, I might be fucked too if he lands on me from side control or even guard, but I might have a chance to sweep him, get on top, and win. Not a big chance but more than on the feet for sure.
If you don't know bjj you are basically fucked against anyone who is on top and bigger than you, so you might learn the technical get up. Btw you have to learn some basic guard retention too, since you frst have to have your opponent in some guard to get up... You can't perform a technical get up if you are pinned.
But more important, learn to strike in a way that don't make tds too easy.
What can win you matches in boxing and mt, like high guard, pressure, throwing a lot of leg kicks etc will get you slammed on concrete against a bigger guy.
So stay on the outside, jab the fuck out of him, force him to chase you to get him tired, don't kick too much unless you know your timing is on point nd he won't catch it etc.

Last edited:
There is a reason why we teach technical lift to beginners

Oh yeah? How do you technical lift with a guy who has 50 pounds on you in side control from concrete

Oh yeah? How do you technical lift with a guy who has 50 pounds on you in side control from concrete
Doesn't change the fact that his answer is "ability to stand up is a more important skillset in self defense."

Well since your asking... hip escape hip escape frame with arm technical lift.

you would have to have both. The most important thing would be that you've practiced these skills enough against resistance to know what to do under pressure.

i'd say definitely ability to get up. i found this rare street fight were a guy was in side control, and wailing on the dude's groin :)

hqdefault.jpg

Anything that's an MMA foul is a pretty great option for self-defense. Eyes can be poked out and fingers can be bitten off.

Generally speaking, the three best self-defense methods are:

1. Run-fu
2. Gun-fu
3. Don't fucking be there-fu

And (3) is by far the most important. Being able to see a situation developing in time to avoid it is by far the best form of self-defense.

If the guy wasn't giving space I'd probably try to shoulder clamp/arm bar- either finish or sweep from there. The guys I've been catching with that in training, that kinda expect it, I think I'd get most anyone untrained.

If he gets away it'd be by making space and I'd technical standup.

Easy, he doesn't take me down; in fact i take him down; so i win.
Boom!

Study an art who's whole purpose is not getting taken down and taking the other guy down so he doesn't get back up...

Nah, ya still need 15% of "WTF now?"

But the whole "fight" situation is really school yard juvenile scuffle and its adult equivalent collage fratboy bar posturing.

Back