Most Important Attribute

A refusal to back down, aka heart is the most important.

I have seen many a grappler win and become better, smarter, and better conditioned simply because they are willing to do the things that other grapplers are not willing to.

Never say die.

DMcKayBJJ said:
Most important PHYSICAL attribute for grappling: balance, aka awareness of base and center of gravity, of your own body, and of you + your opponent as a unit. Some wrestlers call it mat awareness. If you have a good sense of that, you don't have to rely on much brute strength or force to manhandle your opponent.

I believe the term for that is kinesthetic awareness.

kin

Here's a great article I found (note: found, not wrote) which explains some of the reasons why Rickson is such a great grappler. They're all important attributes for a grappler to have, and can determine how great he or she will be.

Source: GrappleArts http://www.grapplearts.com/Rickson-Gracie-Exploring-Genius.htm

Numerous modern day Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu masters declare openly that Rickson Gracie

LCDforMe said:
I can roll with a purple who's been wrestling, literally, for about an hour and half and dead tired, but can still tap me within seconds, even when I'm fresh.

It's not all about conditioning.

I think the ability to play like a chess game. Think ahead and know what your opponent will do in reaction to your movements.

that's why i added defense....okay 1 year of practicing defense with conditioning.

Its difficult to say, they all blend... like the metals we mix to make a good sowrd.. lol

pick the movie?

body awareness, flexibility and core strength all have to be up there. Balance plays a huge part, especcially in passing.
To me, there's no perfect body type, everyone develops a game around their attributes.
I'm fairly flexible, so a lot of my game is hinged on that. I'm not that strong, so I don't tend to use that many power moves.
For all the guys saying speed and explosiveness, do you mainly train no-gi?
oh, and consistency. I find taht whnen I train 6 times a week, I feel fine, but then I burn out or get injured. Lately I just try to make it 3 or 4 times.
I just do it for a hobby though, I don't want to be the next UFC or mundial champ.

Another important thing; being able to use losing as a learning tool. ie- not getting pissed when you're tapped, ask the guy what you did wrong and how he caught you. Some guys won't tell you crap, but a lot will. Use these guys as your main partners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back