Most famous athlete of all time

Jordan might be number 1 currently since pele hasn't been in the spotlight for a lot longer. It really wouldn't surprise me if a lot of North American youth wouldn't know pele. However, at one point Pele was definitely more famous than Jordan currently. I remember watching some documentary that claimed that in some year 95% of people on earth knew who pele was.

That documentary is full of shit. I never as much as heard of Pele until I started posting on Sherdog. And even now, I have no idea who he is, other than the fact that he played soccer. And I live at the height of the information age. I can't imagine you'd go back to any point in time and "95%" of the world's population would know who it he is.

Funny how the UK based graffiti artist Mr. Farenheit uses Muhammad Ali to tag instead of a famous footballer. I think it's because Ali is more recognized world wide than any other footballer is.

I think it is because he is the most polarizing. Which is as good a measurement of fame as anything. Maybe there are athletes that more people have heard of, but everyone who's heard about Ali has an opinion about him. Same can't be said about Pele or Jordan or T.Wood.

that is an absurdly wicked gif.

mj is my answer, but i think ali is a close 2nd.

im surprised mick has been itt and hasn't made a poll, because that's what this thread needs.
Whose in the poll?
  1. Jordan
  2. Ali
  3. Pele
  4. Beckham
  5. Tiger Woods
- Who from tennis? Agassi, Federer, Navratilova? Williams sisters?
- Who from racing? Schumacher?

I'd put Gretzky, but I seriously doubt he has mass appeal in warm climates or the third world. He still belong? Bo Jackson? Jackie Robinson? Ruth? Another soccer player? That Indian cricket player someone mentioned?

Whose in the poll?
  1. Jordan
  2. Ali
  3. Pele
  4. Beckham
  5. Tiger Woods
- Who from tennis? Agassi, Federer, Navratilova? Williams sisters?
- Who from racing? Schumacher?

I'd put Gretzky, but I seriously doubt he has mass appeal in warm climates or the third world. He still belong? Bo Jackson? Jackie Robinson? Ruth? Another soccer player? That Indian cricket player someone mentioned?

i agree that gretzky should be in the poll. the only one that hasn't been mentioned so far, but i think deserves to be is jesse owens. other than that, your list looks pretty good imo. hard to say what ts will think, as long as you put pel

the only one that hasn't been mentioned so far, but i think deserves to is jesse owens. other than that, your list looks pretty good imo. hard to say what ts will think, as long as you put pel

Usain Bolt is another possibility.

If you go door to door asking people who Pele is, 80% of them would have no idea. Now ask about Ali or Jordan and you'd be walking a long time before meeting someone who doesn't know of them.

If you go door to door asking people who Pele is, 80% of them would have no idea. Now ask about Ali or Jordan and you'd be walking a long time before meeting someone who doesn't know of them.

Lol. Where do you live?

Jesus+Navas+4+edit+size.jpg

Jes

In terms of sheer numbers, probably jordan due to him coming along at a later date, where sports were more ubiquitous, more publicity for athletes, etc. Put him back in the 60's and he would not have been bigger than someone like ali.

Kim Jong Un would say Jordan with Rodman a close second. In fact it's probably official there.

For those who said Jordan because of China I think Yao Ming is more popular in China along with Kobe and maybe Lebron.

That documentary is full of shit. I never as much as heard of Pele until I started posting on Sherdog. And even now, I have no idea who he is, other than the fact that he played soccer. And I live at the height of the information age. I can't imagine you'd go back to any point in time and "95%" of the world's population would know who it he is.

Stat might be made up, but at some point in time he was definitely the most famous athlete. He is not too well known among young north americans, but if you look into different demographics he might be n1.

Back