Most evenly matched fights

Angelassassin53

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Specifically title fights, but not limited to them. With Cruz vs Garbrandt coming up, it had me thinking how easily we might've seen Dilly vs Faber and subsequently Dilly vs Garbrandt considering how razor thin Cruz vs Dillashaw was. What are some other fights where each fighter had notable moments, but no one really held a super clear advantage over the other and the fight could have swung either way? The ones that come to my mind are:

Cruz vs Dillashaw
Machida vs Shogun
Benson vs Melendez
Jones vs Gustafsson

Come to say Machida Shogun

hendo won both including a finish, but hendo vs shogun

DC v Gus was really close as well. Poor Gus has come so close to taking the belt twice.

hendo won both including a finish, but hendo vs shogun

I avoided saying Woodley/Thompson despite the draw cause Woodley won his rounds big and Thompson clearly won his but not by a large margin, but pretty much every round of Hendo/Shogun was won gigantically by either guy, good call.

Sam Stout and Spencer Fisher had an awesome trilogy back in the day...

silva/belfort (at the time belfort was SCARY) and Andy was like 37
hendo/rampage
machida/shogun
cain/werdum at the time but IMO cains the better fighter and wouldve won rematch had this license bullshit not happened
JDS/hunt

GSP vs Hendricks
Frankie vs Maynard

Bisping-Silva

The fight was pretty even, but it always seemed to go in Wand's favor down the final minute of each round. He just opened up and Bisping faded each time. By the end Wand had to restrain himself from soccer kicking Michael's face.

Close fight, but Wand dominated the end of every round.

The fight was pretty even, but it always seemed to go in Wand's favor down the final minute of each round. He just opened up and Bisping faded each time. By the end Wand had to restrain himself from soccer kicking Michael's face.

Is he talking about that fight or Andy/bisping?

I meant Anderson Silva, should have clarified. You're right though Wanderlei-Bisping was a pretty good fight too.

Back