most benefits from heavy bag work

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by shs101, Jul 6, 2010.

1. shs101 Blue Belt

I was wondering how to make the most of your heavy bag workout. techinically wise anyone have any ideas ?

2. FiveFeezy Orange Belt

When in doubt, keep it simple.

Throw 10 jabs, 10 crosses, 10 hooks, 10 kicks one leg, 10 kicks the other, etc.

Also just work the basic combos: jab/cross/, jab/kick, cross/kick, 12 punch, 123 punch, etc.

Concentrate on form first, then on power and form.

If that's to simple try circling the bag, working on closing the distance, imagining you are fighting (slipping, weaving, counterpunching, etc).

3. Falcyon White Belt

Staying technical used to be hard for me, I used to be too wild. My coach told me to stay reserved, don't go all out, give yourself a work out, but don't get wild. Make sure you're being anatomically correct, and always being accurate and mindful of where you're actually hitting on the heavy bag.

4. SAAMAG San Antonio Applied Martial Arts Group

I FRIGGIN LOVE my heavy bag. It does wonders for your cardio, both long term low intensity cardio as well as short term high intensity cardio. It conditions your striking tools for fighting, you can use the swinging bag to work footwork, timing, distance...you can practice individual techniques as stated in the previous posts, combos, all the while increasing your power and explosiveness.

The one thing you have to be good at though when hitting the bag...is self correction. When you grow tired, you will start making gross mistakes. Mistakes that if left uncheck will stay. So you have to be careful to make sure your hands stay up, your feet stay on the balls of the feet (for the most part), that you're working on defense as well as offense, that you're varying the power and elevation of your strikes, that you're recovering and not standing in one place...etc. So while the bag has many benefits, it can also be the catalyst for mistakes as well.

I recommend ten 3-minute rounds. Generally I'll start by isolating punches and/or kicks, moving into combo's and ending with freestyle rounds on the bag. Or sometimes I'll vary things up...So for example, I might use the first round for jab-cross. The second round for jab-cross-hook, the third round for right leg round kicks, fourth round for left leg round kicks. Next maybe teep-round kick, then jab-cross-kick, then maybe a good round of skipping knees, etc, etc.

Happy pounding!

5. DrBdan Something clever

Check out the "instructional threads" sticky, there's a thread in there called something like "heavy bag 101" that has advice and a sample routine for heavy bag rounds.