1. Walt Harris' daughter is missing around Auburn, Alabama. Please read this thread for more information.

Most badass-looking military uniform

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by WorldofWarcraft, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Not to mention his buddy on his right has a 12 gauge pointed at his nuts.

Pistol grip shotguns and fake uzis.....some shit grade weaponry to go to war with right there .

Protectandserve likes this.
  2. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP ^Korean Chef Kevin Lee, NOT Fighter Kevin Lee

Yeah I guess that we agree, then ... Sorry if I mistook your post for something that it was not.

And I am not French, BTW, but hillbillies making fun of the French military is way too prevalent in the USA and it is so annoying to me.

It displays such a lack of basic historical knowledge that it's embarrassing. You'll find the "French military is an oxymoron huh huh huh" kind of crap everywhere.

3. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

Nope ; William the Conqueror was not more Viking than French, certainly not. The Norse language was already lost somewhere between Rollo and William, so William and his parents and possibly even his grandparents spoke French as a mother language. The Normans of William the Conqueror were culturally French by almost all accounts.

Oh and on Napoleon : the fact that he was Corsican was rather even detrimental to his prestige and his carreer. It played absolutely no role and Napoleon forgot his corsican ancestry on purpose.

4. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

Who gives a crap about ancestry. European royal families are from all over the place since they intermarried not amongst people from the same nation but rather from the same rank.

Pretty much all French kings were euro mutts of French, German/Austrian, Spanish and Italian.

I swear it's so cringe-worthy when Murrcans start applying their weird obsession with genetics to history.

Oh and wait, are you really implying that the heavy cavalry is a Norse heritage ? You actually are saying that ?

5. Fox by the Sea

Fox by the Sea Lighthouse keeper Platinum Member

nobody is beating the nazis in this, sad to say.

KnightTemplar likes this.
  6. Arkain2K

Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

What in JBG's name are these Mounties doing in a thread about the world's most bad-ass military uniforms? :eek:

7. Rolf3000

Rolf3000 Purple Belt

The italians got this:

[​IMG]

8. Concrete Whale

Concrete Whale Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I've not been following the discussion ITT but you are correct. US Americans have an inferiority complex with regard to the French, which obviously dates to the formative years of the country. The French are brave and honourable warriors and have been so for many centuries before modern-day Americans' economic migrant ancestors moved to the USA.

The Normans were still almost pure Norwegian / Danish in 1066. Culturally I think we have to accept that they were a distinct entity. What is now France was a highly disunited area in those days.

9. faustian

faustian I'M NOT A MONSTER Platinum Member

Wasn't the Galactic Empire modeled after the Nazis?

Star Wars creator George Lucas sought to make the Galactic Empire aesthetically and thematically similar to Nazi Germany and to appear to be fascist.[2] Like Nazi Germany, the Galactic Empire is a dictatorship based on rigid control of society that dissolved a previous democracy and is led by an all-powerful supreme ruler.[3] The Empire, like the Nazis, desires the creation of totalitarian order[4] and utilizes excessive force and violence to achieve their ends.[4] The name of the Empire's main soldiers, the Stormtroopers, is somewhat similar to the name given to Hitler's Sturmabteilung (SA, "storm detachment") paramilitary bodyguards.[3] The visual appearance of Darth Vader in his all-black uniform combined with his devout obedience to the Emperor has allusion to the black-uniformed Nazi Schutzstaffel (SS).[3] The uniforms of Imperial military officers also bear resemblance to uniforms used in Nazi Germany as well as nineteenth-century Germany's ulans (mounted lancers)—who wore a tunic, riding breeches, and boots like the Empire's officers wear—as well as the Imperial officers' cap resembling the field caps historically worn by German and Austrian troops.[5]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Empire_(Star_Wars)#Themes

10. Maximus

Maximus Bulletproof Founding Father

Lol, I was and still am posting from my phone so the spellcheck is off and I have an appetite for military history.

I still believe they were strategically disadvantaged after the Napoleonic Wars.

After Charlemagne's Empire broke down, the various regions of future France had a vague alliance to the French King. Over the centuries France reclaimed more and more power over the counts and dukes of Brittany, Aquitaine, Maine, Anjou, Normandie, etc...one region they didn't fully reclaim was the County of Flanders, the future Low Countries of Belgium and the Netherlands.

Quabbling with Flanders left the French open to the devastations of the Hundred Years War with England. And yes, you can say the English Army was tactically more efficient in the beginning phases of the war, but the French eventually over came it and won the Hundred Years War.

They were about to regain control over Flanders after the Burgundian Wars, but the monarchy got into major distractions with the Habsburg Empire in the Great Italian Wars, the French Civil Wars of Religion, and Franco-Spanish War. Leaving the Low Countries open was the source of France's military problems despite their regional land dominance.

The French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars allowed France to regain Beligum and The Netherlands, making the realm, in theory, mostly secure. Britain had given up coordinating grand coalitions against Napoleonic France, but after the Russian campaign, liberating the Low Countries was Britain's key to off-shore balancing, and checking France's continental dominance.

It's just that no one foresaw the ramifications of a united Germany under Prussian control. Germany would in the future, exploit the strategic disadvantage that the Low Countries were for France.

11. Maximus

Maximus Bulletproof Founding Father

The Normans were not mostly Norse by 1066. The original Norse had a habit of keeping "Danish wives" or "More Danico" meaning they took local women and mixed children with them and by William the Bastard's time they were 5 generations in France. Secondly, not all Norman nobles were able to trace their ancestry to the Vikings, nor would they have wanted to )it's like claiming descent from non-Christian terrorist). There were still French nobles in Neaustria that coexisted with the Norse new comers. Thirdly, 1/3 if not more, of William the Conquerors invading army to England were derived from Bretagne and Flemish auxiliaries, not purely from Normandy.

I think the charging "couched lance" heavy cavalry tactic was likely invented by the Normans....though this is debatable as its depiction is lacking in the tapestry of Bayeux

But saying the Normans pioneered heavy calvary is like saying the Gracie's invented grappling.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  12. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

Yes. And not only the Empire; the First Order is based on ODESSA, the organisation of ex-Nazis who fled to South America after the War.

Vader's iconic helmet is based on the Stahlhelm worn by German soldiers in WWII(ironically, it also bears a resemblence to standard American military helmets).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    faustian likes this.
  13. KnightTemplar

That didn't happen after the Norman Conquest of Britain. The Normans had no desire to adopt Anglo-Saxon customs etc. Indeed, they spent a great deal of time and effort wiping out Saxon culture and replacing it with the Norman way of doing things. At the time of his death, William the Bastard didn't even speak fluent English, and neither did many of his court. And the practice of prefering Norman French to Anglo-Saxon English didn't end there. One of the most legendary kings in English history was Richard the Lion Heart. Richard didn't speak English and, in the ten years of his reign, spent roughly about six months in the country. The rest of his time was spent in Normandy or on Crusade.

14. KnightTemplar

I dressed up as the guy in my avatar for Halloween last year. I defy any man to wear a long, leather coat on top of a black uniform and not feel the urge to rape, pillage and burn their way across Europe.:D

15. Chesten_Hesten

Chesten_Hesten The Wiener of Steel

Stand back motherfuckers, the Greeks are here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. RockstarChris

RockstarChris Dwight Belt Banned

Official uniform of the militant wing of The Salvation Army.

[​IMG]

17. Ham Socks

Ham Socks Professional Fighter

The nazis uniforms were fly. Hitler had swag.

18. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

I agree with you.

BTW, Norman French was just French with some Norse relics in it.

Not a "mix" of Norse and French.

Possibly even more French than many other dialects of French of the time.

Norman French not even a germanic language, and the Norse had converted to christianity and intermarried with locals since Rollo times.

Also, the Normans that invaded England and displaced its aristocracy were to a big extent people from other regions of France.

Oh and lastly, the Normans protected the French Crown against other Norse raiders (vikings).

All in all I really don't see how one can fail to acknowledge that the Norman invasion of England was a French invasion. Deal with it.

19. KnightTemplar

There are still some linguistic relics of the Norman invasion in modern day English. Earl come from the Norse Jarl, or lord.

20. Concrete Whale

Concrete Whale Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Right. The idea that

The German uniforms certainly were spiffier than the no-nonsense proletarian Soviet ones but for what you have described there rather than going goth

one of these may the uniform for you:

[​IMG]