Most badass-looking military uniform

William's ancestor, Rollo the Walker, converted to Christianity as part of the treaty he signed with the French king. On his death, Rollo gave a huge sum of gold to the Church, so that priests would say prayers for his soul...

...but he also had 100 slaves sacrificed to the Norse Gods. That's what I meant when I say the Normans, who's very name, as I'm sure you're aware, means, "North Man" in French, were supreme pragmatists.

He was also a first generation immigrant, so trying to extrapolate information about William the Conqueror from him is futile.

The Norsemen were one of the people's with the biggest penchant for discarding their own culture and adopt the one of the people they settled among. That pragmatism you love so much about them meant that after 2 or 3 generations at the most they would stop being Norsemen in every way that mattered.

Look at what happened when they invaded the land of my ancestors. Once they had control of Sicily they couldn't adopt Arab customs and forms of government fast enough.

Cobra_Soldiers-2.jpg

The French didn't just have one bad war; they had one bad century. Even more if you count the numerous conflicts in which the English changed their diapers over the past millennium or so. To be fair though, damn near every nation that has gone up against the Limeys over the past thousand years had ended up with a W.

Anyways, the French do have a legit military and are very capable soldiers; they just had the misfortune of being the second best military in mainland Europe at a time when that was a very dangerous thing to be.

The French fought WWI in trenches like lions, while America was the West's rifle dropper back then.

Also, the Franco Normans invaded England, and English nobility essentially became French after William the conqueror. That is why the English language is Germanic blended with French and latin wird.

Open up a history book, because you sound poor.

The Huntsmen

oCFvxtv.jpg

Those are Danish Frogmen.

Here's some French spec ops that look particularly menacing I found when I googled that image. Danish guys look pretty fierce, but I'm certain French commandos have been putting in some serious work lately.

1-photo-u1.jpg

I found these guys too.

Taiwanese special forces with bulletproof masks.

1-photo-u1.jpg

That's not real.

Is that real?
I sure hope so. It's fucking hot! :D Not badass though so maybe not a good uniform afterall.

The nazis had a fantastic uniform and I don't think any one can disagree.The SS uniform with the leather trench coat is probably the most intimidating uniform in history!

I always liked the Morskaya Pehota (Russian Navy Infantry) uniform.

61cc03d67a244f988635f3d2c0cca73b.jpg

1448618389_d0bcd0bf1.jpg

sized_26.jpg

The French fought WWI in trenches like lions, while America was the West's rifle dropper back then.

Also, the Franco Normans invaded England, and English nobility essentially became French after William the conqueror. That is why the English language is Germanic blended with French and latin wird.

Open up a history book, because you sound poor.

The French fought in the trenches like lions alongside Limeys and Canadians, not to mention ANZAC forces and various other forces from the Commonwealth. They were not unique in that respect. They definitely paid the price far more than America did in the Great War, but what does that have to do with anything I said? Also, you do realize that I'm Canadian, right? I also clearly stated that the French have a legit military; I've actually served alongside them and they are still a legit military power.

And yes, William the Conqueror lead the Normans to victory in 1066 and the Normans reigned over what is today known as England and Wales for around a century and a half. In reality, what they'd claimed was a hodge-podge of Danish colonies mixed with old Anglo-Saxon territories. What I'm really trying to say is that England didn't become England until the Normans arrived. From that point onward the country that was formed continued to grow in power and eventually became the pre-eminent military power in Europe and thus the world. We can start splitting hairs and claim that the Normans were originally Norsemen from Scandinavia and therefore not truly French but at a certain point these conversations grow very tiresome for everyone involved.

The point I was trying to make, that France had a bad century in terms of military performance, was valid. WW I was a terrible meat grinder that dragged on indefinitely and highlighted a lack of vision with regards to how to deal with this new form of trench warfare. A case could be made that every military involved in this war performed poorly and wastefully. WW II... the French were not ready for the blitzkrieg (no one was, to be fair) and were essentially annihilated early on in the war. La Resistance notwithstanding, they got owned. The debacle of Vietnam that culminated in Dien Bien Phu and their conduct in Algeria stand out as examples of a military that simply was not able to conduct a counter-insurgency campaign worth a damn. Fair enough, I understand that it's a very difficult thing to do, but when you analyze the 20th century and even the late 19th with the Franco-Prussian War and the annexing of Alsace-Lorraine it's hard to take away too many positive things from that time period. I was kinda reaching with the rest of it, but I posted that a long time ago, methinks.

As for the ad hominem, I'll just say my dad can beat the crap out of your dad, your mother dresses you funny, and the cyrillic alphabet can not hang with latin script.

France was (arugebly still is) the most powerful land army in Europe since the time of Charlemange.

France got walloped by Germany since the Franco-Prussian war, but that's because of the Post-Napoleonic Wars treaties that kept France hemmed-in in the Low Countries and Savoy. Essentially, their we're at a strategical disadvantage in the 19th and 20th centuries. And Germany exploited that disadvantage.

Mind you, France was walloping the German lands for a thousand years prior to the post Napoleonic treaties.

The antiquity of France is so old, they can spend a century or so, losing, but will still win in the end.

If we were posting about the loses of the Franch military in the 1420s, you'd have a bunch of schlubs saying, "France and soldier is oxymoron" after all, they got whooped by England in a series of wars for a century. But once France got their act together, they change the face of warfare and military power on earth. France won the Hundred Years War. Much of our military terms and ranks are French words.

Marine Corps blues all day...

in the 90s they used to sell these MC navy blue cargo pants with this special net/mesh with the fabric weaved into it, at all the 'Army & Navy' joints. they weren't tacky looking either. now they're impossible to find 8[

France was (arugebly still is) the most powerful land army in Europe since the time of Charlemange.

France got walloped by Germany since the Franco-Prussian war, but that's because of the Post-Napoleonic Wars treaties that kept France hemmed-in in the Low Countries and Savoy. Essentially, their we're at a strategical disadvantage in the 19th and 20th centuries. And Germany exploited that disadvantage.

Mind you, France was walloping the German lands for a thousand years prior to the post Napoleonic treaties.

The antiquity of France is so old, they can spend a century or so, losing, but will still win in the end.

If we were posting about the loses of the Franch military in the 1420s, you'd have a bunch of schlubs saying, "France and soldier is oxymoron" after all, they got whooped by England in a series of wars for a century. But once France got their act together, they change the face of warfare and military power on earth. France won the Hundred Years War. Much of our military terms and ranks are French words.

I agree with what you've written and I definitely think the whole going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion attitude, while funny, is grossly inaccurate. That being said, the 20th century was not kind to the French, although a lot of that can be attributed to the opposition they faced. I'm not so certain about the French being at a strategic disadvantage following the end of World War I, at least in terms of terrain. The Maginot Line was a great idea on paper but the Germans just passed through the Ardennes to get around it using a style of warfare that no one was ready for and voila, you nearly bankrupted your country for nothing and are in for a rough 4 years or so.

Anyways, discussion can be illuminating and fun without resorting to trash talking right off the hop, so thanks for that... but you misspelled Charlemagne's name and if you speak any French the end result is kinda funny.

1st time I was at the Canadian War Musem, I got a chill (not in a good way), when I saw this row of mannequins with Nazi uniforms.

I got the same chill standing in front of Nazi aircraft/planes etc. & then the biggest chill I got was standing next to the Enola Gay.

Back