Most athletic fighters ever.

Same.

I don't think people realize how insanely fast 4.3 is. Only the very fastest handful of players on an NFL team reach that level of speed.

I can believe outlandish MJ stories regarding his jumping ability, but not speed. Even in his youngest years he looks like a regular fast NBA player, not freakishly fast.
It's entirely possible that he did. Evidently his fastest time was a 4.38 40 which was hand timed so it was closer to 4.4. Keep in mind that he had a 46" vert in college and a 48" vert measured in the NBA. There's a strong relationship between an athlete's vertical and their 10 & 40 sprint times. He was a true freak athlete of the highest order and not some average speed player in the NBA.

The Relationship Between Jumping and Sprinting Performance in Collegiate Ultimate Athletes

Last edited:
It's entirely possible that he did. Evidently his fastest time was a 4.38 40 which was hand timed so it was closer to 4.4. Keep in mind that he had a 46" vert in college and a 48" vert measured in the NBA. There's a strong relationship between an athlete's vertical and their 10 & 40 sprint times. He was a true freak athlete of the highest order and not some average speed player in the NBA.

The Relationship Between Jumping and Sprinting Performance in Collegiate Ultimate Athletes
Hes also universally considered THE GREATEST athlete or Sports Star of all time. 4.3 - 4.4 40 yard dash wouldn't seem unreasonable in the least bit.
Out of all of Jordan's accomplishments him or his people dont need to fudge a 4.3-4.4 40 yard dash time.... lol

Hes also universally considered THE GREATEST athlete or Sports Star of all time. 4.3 - 4.4 40 yard dash wouldn't seem unreasonable in the least bit.
Out of all of Jordan's accomplishments him or his people dont need to fudge a 4.3-4.4 40 yard dash time.... lol
A rather twisted but measurable testament to his greatness is the fact that some of his fans have literally killed other fans over his brand of shoes. I don't know of any other legendary athlete in history with fans killing others over a pair of sneakers. I've always thought he was the greatest athlete ever in his respective sport. Bo Jackson is an amazing pure athlete but there's only one MJ and Bo KNOWS that! LOL

I think you guys are underestimating though that an electronic 4.3 takes a ton of time working on your track technique for the start. Even MJs level of explosive power as displayed in his vertical would not display as an electronic 4.3 in the 40 with no training. It is to me why the 40 is incredibly overrated at this point and misleading. It is a measure of explosive power + time put in on track technique.
The vertical is just such a pure measure of explosive power that there is no point in caring about the 40. An athlete with a good vertical to bodyweight ratio but bad 40 time is just because they didn't work on their track technique enough but who cares if we are not talking about track.

Surely though, MJ could have run a 4.3 if he wasted his time training for track. He obviously put out enough force relative to his bodyweight.

I think you guys are underestimating though that an electronic 4.3 takes a ton of time working on your track technique for the start. Even MJs level of explosive power as displayed in his vertical would not display as an electronic 4.3 in the 40 with no training. It is to me why the 40 is incredibly overrated at this point and misleading. It is a measure of explosive power + time put in on track technique.
The vertical is just such a pure measure of explosive power that there is no point in caring about the 40. An athlete with a good vertical to bodyweight ratio but bad 40 time is just because they didn't work on their track technique enough but who cares if we are not talking about track.

I’m not disputing that there is a lot of technique in optimising your 40 yard dash.

That said the people who are hardcore into the basketball scene seem to say there’s a lot of technique in optimising your vertical as well;

Also from what I understand whilst the ground contact time for a sprinter is around 0.1 seconds, it’s around 0.3 seconds on a vertical.

So the vertical correlates more with your max squat whilst the sprint correlated more factors such as fast twitch muscle.

Both are useful imo, I’d expect a vertical to give you more potential in terms of a power double whilst sprint time could correlate to something such as how fast you can kick.

Surely though, MJ could have run a 4.3 if he wasted his time training for track. He obviously put out enough force relative to his bodyweight.
The fact that he was working with Tim Grover and they were tracking it shows they were working on it some.
Probably something that is important when stealing bases in baseball????

The fact that he was working with Tim Grover and they were tracking it shows they were working on it some.
Probably something that is important when stealing bases in baseball????

Speaking of baseball, someone else mentioned this earlier but it seems like someone that ran a 4.3 would still be blazing fast at 31-32 years old (when he played baseball).

But there's tons of footage of him playing baseball, in full-out sprints, and again, he seems like just a pretty fast guy, not freakishly fast.

Speaking of baseball, someone else mentioned this earlier but it seems like someone that ran a 4.3 would still be blazing fast at 31-32 years old (when he played baseball).

But there's tons of footage of him playing baseball, in full-out sprints, and again, he seems like just a pretty fast guy, not freakishly fast.
But speed is actually judged by timing it. Not an untrained uncalibrated eye test on TV. Keep in mind this is somebody who is 6'6" and a stride to match. It's not going to look like your typical baseball leadoff speedster.

This should make your day .

<45>

That's crazy! The only name I recognized was Mo Farrah. I know Farrah is a long distance runner but thats crazy to think AJ still smoked a professional track athete in a sprint race.
I would of never guessed that. Are the other guys soccer or rugby players?

Whoever can compete in the Olympics and do well across the board is the top guy . I only know Anthony Joshua being a former triathlon athlete who can do multiple things , basketball doesn’t mean your the best athlete. The best athlete competes in events not sports ,certainly not teams ,the best athlete performs the best in one on one events or with no team mates .

That's crazy! The only name I recognized was Mo Farrah. I know Farrah is a long distance runner but thats crazy to think AJ still smoked a professional track athete in a sprint race.
A.J is beast in athletic performance ,mo Farrah was the second fastest guy there on paper , A.J was there as a spoof but they didn’t know how explosive he was and shocked everyone. I’m not sure who else is there I’m not from over there but they were somebodies noted for running .

Whoever can compete in the Olympics and do well across the board is the top guy . I only know Anthony Joshua being a former triathlon athlete who can do multiple things , basketball doesn’t mean your the best athlete. The best athlete competes in events not sports ,certainly not teams ,the best athlete performs the best in one on one events or with no team mates .
The top athletes go to where the top money is or where the biggest stardom is per their culture.
I'm sure countless NBA & NFL players could compete in other individual sports if they put the same life long time and dedication into it.
It just doesn't make sense to turn down 10-100 million dollar contracts and being a household name in order to do something for way way less recognition and way way less money.
Also, many athletes who do individual sports or fringe Olympic sports were athletes who couldn't make it to the highest levels of other more popular sports with a much larger talent pool.

Last edited:
The top athletes go to where the top money is or where the biggest stardom is per their culture.
I'm sure countless NBA & NFL players could compete in other individual sports if they put the same life long time and dedication into it.
It just doesn't make sense to turn down 10-100 million dollar contracts and being a household name in order to do something for way way less recognition and way way less money.
Also, many athletes who do individual sports or fringe Olympic sports were athletes who couldn't make it to the highest levels of other more popular sports with a much larger talent pool.
Most olympians excell in individual sports ,the best athlete all around has physical strength,speed and coordination. Talent pool is only dictated to the sports rules ,a specific skill set may be better but a persons physical attributes makes them superior athletically . As the thread stands in itself being a a top level boxer requires great athletic performance If they are going to stay at a certain level just on the criteria I posted ,it’s these qualities you will see the best skilled and effective fighter in the ring.

I don’t consider this real athletics but.......

The other guys are all Olympic champions and/or Olympic medalists. AJ used to be a sprinter but probably hadn't competed in a while. Very impressive for a man that heavy to run that time in the 100m.

Andrew Triggs Hodge – Triple Olympic champion rower & Quadruple World champion
Michael Jamieson – Olympic silver medalist swimmer & Worlds silver medalist
Alistair Brownlee – Double Olympic champion triathlete
Mo Farah – Quadruple Olympic champion distance runner & 6× World champion
Jonathan Brownlee – Olympic silver & bronze medalist triathlete
Robbie Grabarz – Olympic bronze medalist high jumper
Peter Wilson – Olympic champion sport shooter (double trap event)

But speed is actually judged by timing it. Not an untrained uncalibrated eye test on TV. Keep in mind this is somebody who is 6'6" and a stride to match. It's not going to look like your typical baseball leadoff speedster.

No kidding but an eye test on TV is the best we can do at this point, isn't it? That and an anecdote from Roy Williams.

Calvin Johnson is considered one of the freakiest athletes in NFL history, is basically Jordan's height, and even he only ran a 4.4

If you think a guy that doesn't even train for sprint speed and probably didn't practice the technique to running a 40-yard dash ran faster than a guy that definitely did both of those things and is one of the most gifted receivers in NFL history, then I don't know what to tell you.

(As much as I enjoyed The Last Dance, it's really done an amazing job at almost deifying Jordan. I've heard some absurd comments since then.)

Most olympians excell in individual sports ,the best athlete all around has physical strength,speed and coordination. Talent pool is only dictated to the sports rules ,a specific skill set may be better but a persons physical attributes makes them superior athletically . As the thread stands in itself being a a top level boxer requires great athletic performance If they are going to stay at a certain level just on the criteria I posted ,it’s these qualities you will see the best skilled and effective fighter in the ring.

I don’t consider this real athletics but.......

Yeah that is a skill challenge not really athletic.
Looks like AJ ran an 11.53 in the 100 meter dash.
I think there would be countless NBA and NFL players who could smoke that time at a similar size.

No kidding but an eye test on TV is the best we can do at this point, isn't it? That and an anecdote from Roy Williams.

Calvin Johnson is considered one of the freakiest athletes in NFL history, is basically Jordan's height, and even he only ran a 4.4

If you think a guy that doesn't even train for sprint speed and probably didn't practice the technique to running a 40-yard dash ran faster than a guy that definitely did both of those things and is one of the most gifted receivers in NFL history, then I don't know what to tell you.

(As much as I enjoyed The Last Dance, it's really done an amazing job at almost deifying Jordan. I've heard some absurd comments since then.)

How do you know how and what Michael trained?
I don't think you really understand the magnitude of Jordan's greatness. He was deified well before that lame overrated documentary.
Freak athlete for Jordan is an understatement. He is THE once in a lifetime type athlete.

I think there was an article and experiment where they tried to analyze Lebron's speed. They said on a fast break with a basketball and not even able to reach top speed it equated to 11.0 100 meters.
Michael Jordan being faster than Calvin Johnson does not seem like an outlandish statement to me.

Back