Most athletic fighters ever.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Who do you consider the most athletically gifted fighters ever?

RJJ
Pacquiao
Hamed
Sergio Martinez
Anthony Mundine
Ali

Reactions: Ruv
Mundine was originally a rugby player.

He was an athletic freak. Just look at this highlight video:

Probably the worst chin ever in boxing and most inconsistent, he could hang with the best and look average in other fights, overall he was fun to watch, why does Australia hate him so much??

Mundine was originally a rugby player.

He was an athletic freak. Just look at this highlight video:

He's a good athlete but I've seen Josh Kelly do similar things and there's more athletic guys than Mundine in the sport right now. You also have to look at his level of opposition. How many of his opponents would you describe as highly athletic or talented (physically gifted and/or creative)? That's the real test when they're put in with other great athletes and they still manage to shine.

Last edited:
Hard to think of one who tops Roy for athleticism, and we all saw what happened when his athleticism deserted him.

I always figured basketball, baseball, football, boxing, whatever. Roy was going to be at least very good at whatever sport he focused himself on. I'm grateful that it shook out the way it did and he used his gifts to punch other people real, real hard.

Roy and Ali are the first that come to mind for me. Those two are easy picks.

Floyd and Pac were both super gifted in their primes.

I think Gamboa is one of the most athletic fighters I've seen as well.

Hamed was definitely up there, just a fucking freak athlete.

Joan Guzman is a good shout as well, imo.

If about Olympic type athlete : Ali from timeframe 1959-1967.
This Ali probably was able to get some Olympic medals in light athletics too.

Talent involves more than just athleticism but here's a list that was linked by another poster days ago.
McCluskey’s Dozen: Thirty Years Of Talent
talent-collage-9999.png

Reactions: Ruv
Roy did rely more on his athleticism than others but he also had a lot of creativity to go with it

Absolutely, but his defence relied so much on his reflexes that when they were gone he was gone as well.

There's a lot to be said for keeping your hands up and I know even from my limited ring experience that there are occasions when you catch things with your guard you never even saw coming.

The Klitschkos were acomplished kick boxers before taking over boxing.

Rocky Marciano was a baseball player and wrestler before he became undefeated heavyweight boxing champion.

Joe Lewis is probably the best pure boxer though.

I always figured basketball, baseball, football, boxing, whatever. Roy was going to be at least very good at whatever sport he focused himself on. I'm grateful that it shook out the way it did and he used his gifts to punch other people real, real hard.
Yep, he was that kind of athlete. I always thought the same about prime Anderson Silva. Basketball, baseball, soccer, whatever sport he had been focused on, he would have excelled at---because he was a hell of an athlete. An incredible athlete.

Prime RJJ was fucking fiercely, viciously athletic in delivering punishment to be sure. Super-gifted athlete. Guy with enough game to play a semi-pro basketball game during the day and then fight that same night? Yeah, that's pretty athletic.

Back