Most athletic African country?

J

Julius_Caesar

Just a little disclaimer I am not trying to make this about race or anything like that. Its not my intention to offend anyone. I'm just interested in this subject. I've done a lot of research on Scandinavian success in the Olympics (if you take into account their population compared to other countries) and have been obsessed with athletes from around the Caucasus region and their success in combat sports with guys like Khabib, Zabit, Artur Beterbiev etc. Also Cubans, Ukrainians and Kazakhs in Amateur boxing.

Kenya and Ethiopia have a lot of long distance runners but when it comes to overall athleticism I think the majority will agree with west africa but what countries specifically do you think have the most naturally athletic people based off African athletes you see in sports. Now days there are a lot of African athletes in Basketball, Football, soccer, boxing and MMA.

I'd say they're all pretty explosive.

I will be the first to admit I'm not an expert on African demographics

WAKANDA, and it's not even close. I saw some movie about one of their athletes. Dude was badass.

I guess this thread went as expected. Maybe wrong forum...

Nigeria:

Christian Okoye
Hakeem Olajuwon
Ike Ibeabuche
Gianni's Antetokounmpo
Osi Umenyiora
Jay Ajayi
Efe Ajagaba

Last edited:
Murrica. They've been NBA champs for almost 3 decades running.

Well, from my layman understanding you can't talk about a 'country' specifically. It would also depending how you define 'most athletic', if you are defining that as only strength and power then those of west african descent are more likely to excel in sports where those are important criteria. This applies to Jamaican sprinters, or NFL running-backs, as much as it does someone from Lagos. East africans are more likely to excel at sports where endurance is most important. It is a gene thing not, not a 'black' thing, or specific nation thing...setting aside things like coaching networks and infrastructure in particular countries. I mean you did basically allude to this point, to be fair.

I'm not sure about the genes and whatnot, but it does seem that Fijians (and Tongans and Samoans, but they have much smaller populations, apart from the diaspora in New Zealand etc.) also have a lot of the same traits. I would assume there are genetic traits that Polynesians are more likely to possess that make them well-suited to the sport where they are best represented, ie. rugby. But I believe they are over-represented in the NFL too, considering their tiny population.

Nigeria:

Christian Okoye
Hakeem Olajuwon
Ike Ibeabuche
Thanasis Antetokounmpo
Osi Umenyiora
Jay Ajayi
Efe Ajagaba
Just started watching Efe Ajadaba. He's definitely a problem. Also Cameroon which is right next door to Nigeria has Carlos Takam and Francis Ngannou.

Lol you really think a Sherdogger has any relevant, factual information on any place in Africa?
<36>

My friend’s from South Africa and he’s the world Ultraman champion, so I’d have to say South Africa. He’s white, though, so this may not answer your question.

Back