Mosley: Prime DLH beats prime Mayweather

Considering old De la Hoya almost beat a prime Floyd, I agree. Seeing the shape he was in when he fought Mosley and Trinidad, I could definitely see him beating Floyd with Roach in his corner and the same gameplan. Just as long as he didn't abandon his jab halfway through.
Are you forgetting the weight difference in that fight? I think De La Hoya came in good for that fight. Maybe not prime but not as far from it as people make out. Also Floyd has that defensive style where sometimes he does just enough to win without going overboard so just because the fight was close doesn't mean he wouldn't beat him again under different circumstances. Its like when people say Pac would of beaten Floyd if he didn't have shoulder issues. No if Pac didn't have an injury he would of done more which would of MADE Floyd do more. Floyd doesn't do what he doesn't need to do. He starts adjusting when he starts losing.

Oscar was a great talent at his best but I'm not sure he was mentally strong enough to beat Floyd.

A lot of guys he fought, he fought when they are past their prime. And when he got grilled for not fighting Manny, he pretty much admitted to not wanting to fight guys in their prime or something to that extent. A lot of fighters cherry pick as well, Floyd just knew how to play that game better than anyone else. The only guys he fought in their primes are guys who everyone expected him to win stylistically: Hatton, Guerrero, Maidana, to a lesser extent Cotto. Canelo was too green when they fought.
Sure. Because Floyd was at his peak everytime he fought, right?

He fought and beat everyone. Thats a fact.

I’d still take Floyd, but DLH would have a decent shot. Also Floyd’s best weight isn’t 147 which would be an advantage to DLH.

A lot of guys he fought, he fought when they are past their prime. And when he got grilled for not fighting Manny, he pretty much admitted to not wanting to fight guys in their prime or something to that extent. A lot of fighters cherry pick as well, Floyd just knew how to play that game better than anyone else. The only guys he fought in their primes are guys who everyone expected him to win stylistically: Hatton, Guerrero, Maidana, to a lesser extent Cotto. Canelo was too green when they fought.
And Marquez wasn't in his prime? Chico wasnt? Canelo had been a pro 7 years. Sure he was young, but we didn't give that excuse to Tyson did we? who had fewer fights and was only 1 year older when he lost to Buster Douglas? Canelo wasn't too green, he just wasn't prepared for Mayweather and his talent. Trout had just beaten Cotto (who would go on to beat Sergio Martinez 2 fights later) and Canelo had just beaten Trout to become champ and had 40 fights, he doesn't get the green excuse, not when you are champion.

Last edited:
Supposedly everyone beats Mayweather.

Its incredible how no one ever did despite how supposedly beatable he was.

Well dude, Oscar did great against him considering he was wayyyyy past his prime and in complete zombie mode so it’s not out of this world to say prime Oscar beats him. Oscar was fantastic during his prime, had a great jab too to go with it

None of what you say addresses the fact that Floyd willingly picks his opponent, and chooses to fight that guy when the circumstances are in his favor. Hopkins wasn't at his peak when he beat guys like Pascal or Pavlik who were physically superior, but he managed to win against both because the stylistic matchup favored BHOP. Like I said Floyd was just better than everyone else in this regard. It's an open debate whether or not he would've beat DLH in his prime. You can't make the blanket statement that Floyd had beaten everyone he fought therefore he would've beaten them regardless if they were in their primes or not.

None of what you say addresses the fact that Floyd willingly picks his opponent, and chooses to fight that guy when the circumstances are in his favor. Hopkins wasn't at his peak when he beat guys like Pascal or Pavlik who were physically superior, but he managed to win against both because the stylistic matchup favored BHOP. Like I said Floyd was just better than everyone else in this regard. It's an open debate whether or not he would've beat DLH in his prime. You can't make the blanket statement that Floyd had beaten everyone he fought therefore he would've beaten them regardless if they were in their primes or not.
Floyd’s supposed cherry pickings is a hilariously overblown and hyperbolic joke. Folks didnt want to write off his opponents until after he beat them.

I can make a blanket statement about how supposedly a lot of people beat Floyd yet no one ever did, because thats exactly what happened.

Gift decision against Castillo says otherwise .
Two fights, same outcome.

Though I do enjoy how Floyd’s critics like to point to close fights as some career ending discredit. I guess hes the only one who ever had close fights.

Floyd’s supposed cherry pickings is a hilariously overblown and hyperbolic joke. Folks didnt want to write off his opponents until after he beat them.

I can make a blanket statement about how supposedly a lot of people beat Floyd yet no one ever did, because thats exactly what happened.

The basic premise of the thread is how Oscar would have done better if he were in his "prime". 34 yr old Oscar was simply not as good as 24-28 year old Oscar. You are blowing arguments off as if it is this was ludicrous, but to say that circumstances between fighter A and B can't ever be different is illogical. Age, injuries and momentum can affect matchups.

How the fuck do this sub forum always have Floyd nuthuggers modding it? What a joke.

The basic premise of the thread is how Oscar would have done better if he were in his "prime". 34 yr old Oscar was simply not as good as 24-28 year old Oscar. You are blowing arguments off as if it is this was ludicrous, but to say that circumstances between fighter A and B can't ever be different is illogical. Age, injuries and momentum can affect matchups.

How the fuck do this sub forum always have Floyd nuthuggers modding it? What a joke.
Can you even point out where I specifically addressed DLH? I made a blanket statement about how supposedly beatable Floyd is, and youre upset about it. Note your OP is the one who lists all the people that supposedly beat him.

In no way shape or form am I a Floyd nuthugger. The fact that you took that route in this discussion is all I really need to know.

Can you even point out where I specifically addressed DLH? I made a blanket statement about how supposedly beatable Floyd is, and youre upset about it.

In no way shape or form am I a Floyd nuthugger. The fact that you took that route in this discussion is all I really need to know.

Of course it was about DLH, that's what the thread is about. And why would I or you have to specify DLH when I typed and you typed "blanket statement" about guys Floyd beat. Now you're just being a plain dunce.

Note your OP is the one who lists all the people that supposedly beat him.
The OP is about people who would hypothetically beat him if they were in their "primes". Did you even read before commenting? Where is this "supposedly beat him" coming from?

Last edited:
Of course it was about DLH, that's what the thread is about. And why would I or you have to specify DLH when I typed and you typed "blanket statement" about guys Floyd beat. Now you're just being a plain dunce.

The OP is about people who would hypothetically beat him if they were in their "primes". Did you even read before commenting? Where is this "supposedly beat him" coming from?
Youre the one that mentioned several people beating him. Sorry your feelings are hurt that no one did.

Youre the one that mentioned several people beating him. Sorry your feelings are hurt that no one did.

Learn how to read moron. It's about how hypothetically those guys would be able to beat Floyd if they were in their primes. How the fuck did you become a mod when you couldn't understand a thread premise?

If ODLH would have been as picky about his opponents as Floyd and only fought with hometown advantage he could also easily have been a 0 losses fighter. Definitely wouldnt have lost the Trinidad bout (was his own fault), but thats what really separated Oscar from quite some other fighters. Despite his golden boy image he had balls and would take any fight against worldclass opponents in their prime.

The ODLH against Floyd was, as others wrote, a kind of retired boxer long away from his prime and still managed to make it a fight. I would see a prime ODLH as a favourite against Floyd.

Learn how to read moron. It's about how hypothetically those guys would be able to beat Floyd if they were in their primes. How the fuck did you become a mod when you couldn't understand a thread premise?
Lets see how far the insults get you.

Guess I got here by not having stupid opinions like your OP.

I haven't rewatched Oscar v Floyd but I remember during the fight there was a point where Oscar kind of held up his gloves as if to say "what do i do"? As I remember it Floyd was on the ropes doing his defensive thing and Oscar couldn't hit him, does anyone recall this? (I need to rewatch, I'm sure I remember it though)

It's worth mentioning that Pac, though younger, had a style that aged faster. Similar to other athletic prodigies, or fighters that push a hard work rate, they burn bright and then fade fast. Pac was in worse shape than Floyd when they fought.

If we're looking at all time greats, Mayweather didn't really gun for ALL of them at their absolute pinnacle. De La Hoya, by contrast did - every single loss is attributed to him running at the clear apex predators in the sport - which is why they were close losses or didn't go his way at all. Mayweather had some wins early against guys that were at their best. For example, Hatton was undefeated (though 05 was probably his best year).

I think Mayweather is an incredible talent, but I am saying that if he ran at all the names in his resume when they were at their most lethal, he would have a couple losses.

Nobody runs the table when prime talent is playing.

Too early
Too late
Too left
Too right

images (9).jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back