Mosley: Prime DLH beats prime Mayweather

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

Is Shane still a partner in Golden Boy Promotions? Something to consider to assess the accuracy of that statement.

I agree with him. Prime DLH, Mosley, Trinidad would've beaten any version of Floyd. If May-Pac would've happened in 2009-2011, I'd pick Manny over Floyd too, but that's just me.

Prime SRL beats everyone above, lol.

de-la-hoya_cross_dressx390_0.jpg

Last edited:
Considering old De la Hoya almost beat a prime Floyd, I agree. Seeing the shape he was in when he fought Mosley and Trinidad, I could definitely see him beating Floyd with Roach in his corner and the same gameplan. Just as long as he didn't abandon his jab halfway through.

Basking in reflective glory.
BTW its not 'just you' .

i think floyd beats manny, at any stage. he has the style to beat him.

DLH had a pretty close fight with floyd, and he was past his prime, so i guess there's a point to be made there. it's difficult to bet against prime floyd, though.

All i know is floyd sr went in the ring after the oscar vs floyd fight and said he felt Oscar won and did enough and he wasnt even talking out of spite he looked nervous to admit it.

Years ago, I read an interview with Jack Sharkey.

He fought both Dempsey and Louis.

He stated that Dempsey would have beaten Louis if they fought.

I disagreed. I thought he only stated that because he did MUCH better against Dempsey than he did when he fought Louis. In other words, he was talking himself up.

I think the same thing here.

All i know is floyd sr went in the ring after the oscar vs floyd fight and said he felt Oscar won and did enough and he wasnt even talking out of spite he looked nervous to admit it.

I remember watching that fight live.

IIRC, Oscar took a playbook out of Leonard vs. Haggler:

- Do nothing for 2:40.
- Work like crazy the last 20 seconds.
- Hope you leave a positive impression on the judges at the end of the round to steal it.
- Hope the judges give you the round.
- Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

Sometimes ex-greats are the worst to argue with boxing for who-would-beat-who debates. They tend to want to be contraire alot just to f*ck with the status quo -in other words - they still like fighting

The interviewer needs to get to a barber ASAP. He has a hen nesting on his head. Interesting take, though.

If you asked this question 10 years ago you would get a different response.

People forget how good Oscar was from 23 - 29 if not 20 - 29.

Prime Oscar was physically bigger than Floyd and their skills were comparable.

Supposedly everyone beats Mayweather.

Its incredible how no one ever did despite how supposedly beatable he was.

I don't know, those are some great fighters but Floyd's ability to adjust was second to none. He always figured out a way to get the win no matter what. Other than Hearns I don't think I'd pick anybody with any degree of confidence over Floy. Hearns would be hell for him, imo.

Supposedly everyone beats Mayweather.

Its incredible how no one ever did despite how supposedly beatable he was.

A lot of guys he fought, he fought when they are past their prime. And when he got grilled for not fighting Manny, he pretty much admitted to not wanting to fight guys in their prime or something to that extent. A lot of fighters cherry pick as well, Floyd just knew how to play that game better than anyone else. The only guys he fought in their primes are guys who everyone expected him to win stylistically: Hatton, Guerrero, Maidana, to a lesser extent Cotto. Canelo was too green when they fought.

Floyd's defense was to good for DLH.

It would take someone as quick, unconvental/tricky with godly speed and timing to do it. RJJ could do it if they were somehow equal size in their primes.

It's not inconceivable as a past his prime Oscar did put up a reasonably good fight against a prime Floyd. I don't think Oscar would have ever had the stamina and versatility/adjustability to do it clearly, but he certainly would have had a chance.

Back