"Morganti Ju Jitsu" - Anyone have experience with this style ...?

locknroll

White Belt
Reaction score
Long time lurker, so please excuse the newb title :redface:

Just a quick chirp about myself, I'm a blue belt and have been training bjj for 3+ years under a Marcus Soares blackbelt.

I was wondering if anyone heard of what "Morganti Ju Jitsu" was??

A friend of mine has been training "Morganti Ju Jitsu" for a while now. I've actually had a chance to visit his school to train with them but I found their instruction to be a bit odd at times...

It seemed like Morganti was a mix of stand up fighting + ground submissions. There would be striking while standing, but once it hit the ground you were not allowed to strike and only grapple. No one trained with gloves or shin guards. You were not allowed to punch to the face, but you could kick to the face :icon_neut

Their belt rankings were totally different from Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. You can check out the order of colors they go by HERE. I was kind of confused when I walked in to see some students wearing a Red Belt... b/c in BJJ a Red Belt was the highest belt achievable...

Another thing I found odd was that I was told not to wear anything to the gym with the Gracie name on it??? I was told that the "Sensei" had "beef" with the Gracies... whatever that meant I'm not sure...

It felt pretty sportjj-esque...

Anyone have any experience? Or could shine some light as to where Morganti came from? Anything that I tried to Google was in a foreign language..

intersting.

edit: the second fight is much better. nice high kick.

Here's the wiki page in English, using Google Translate here. The page is a little ropey because the grammar isn't correct, but from what I can make out after a brief skim over the page, it appears to be an offshoot of Judo/JJ that occured around the time Judo/JJ was introduced in Brazil.
Which would make it rival to Gracie BJJ, which would explain the 'beef' perhaps?

That's interesting because when they practice throws and ground techniques, they do use Japanese Vocabulary to name the techniques.

Here's the wiki page in English, using Google Translate here. The page is a little ropey because the grammar isn't correct, but from what I can make out after a brief skim over the page, it appears to be an offshoot of Judo/JJ that occured around the time Judo/JJ was introduced in Brazil.
Which would make it rival to Gracie BJJ, which would explain the 'beef' perhaps?

Thanks for making this thread.

Had you not, I might never have watched this fight.

Here's the backdrop, Morganti JJ fighter, Cesar Narita's brother was killed protecting his parent's store from a robber in BC, ... the day before this fight..

Bodog offered to postpone the fight, but he refused, and fought anyway.

long story short, I'd just say respect their program, and they are apparently legit. they train their style, spar, compete, fight... that's what I look for to see if someone is official. so they're official in my book

Last edited:

Chrome's translation said 1990, and the founder seemed fairly young. Looks like it's more or less Judo with some striking mixed in, though since they're kept seperate, it seems a bit odd. Either way, it's still training with a resisting opponent, and they're free to do whatever they like.

sounds like shoot fighting, but it can't be.

Chrome's translation said 1990, and the founder seemed fairly young. Looks like it's more or less Judo with some striking mixed in, though since they're kept seperate, it seems a bit odd. Either way, it's still training with a resisting opponent, and they're free to do whatever they like.

To be honest I didn't read the page that thoroughly. It looks ok though, I could see it as a viable option to training if you had limited training oportunities. Seems a bit like kyokushin plus BJJ to be honest, though the kicks didn't look full contact.

This looks like traditional jj done right. Looks alot like how my school trains. We are Judo mixed with JJJ and kickboxing. We spar standup, ground and mixture of both. Our guys compete in Judo and grappling tournaments and we have had some guys do MMA fights.

Looks just like the "traditional" jujitsu I practice(d) for years. My instructor was/is a sandan in Judo, so all of our throws/groundwork came from Judo. Looks pretty much the same, with the same rules we used for sparring and everything... though we did wear light sparring gear.

Looks like sport Jiu Jitsu. The variant I train is more point sparring and Judo based.

time limit on the ground? I dont like it... but it seems ok...

Those are white belts right? It is hard to judge. If I had no Judo or BJJ or Muay Thai where lived than I would at a place like that.

Back