1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

More thoughts from a BJJ noob

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by spyu, Oct 6, 2010.

1. spyu

spyu White Belt

So I just had my first class with a Gi, third class no Gi, and first wrestling for mma class.
    Some of my random thoughts and questions.

1. It's very humbling when you are pitted against a black belt for sparring and they have you start in the mount...fast forward 20 seconds he's on top of me and I'm tapping x 15.

2. When the sparring starts in open guard where one person starts sitting down and the other person starts standing. When I'm the one standing I'm at a total loss of what to do. What should I be focusing my energy on in terms of basic positioning and items to control? i.e. wrists, ankles. I'm just like randomly grabbing ankles and wrists and trying to spin around the person which I know is not right.

3. I need to increase my ankle flexibility a lot. When I'm in someone's guard, it's extremely uncomfortable for me to sit all my body weight back on my heels and try to flatten my instep on the floor. A lot of times I end up getting a bad foot cramp.

4. It was interesting to see the little differences on how take downs work for mma compared to collegiate style wrestling takedowns. I can see how greco and freestyle translates a little better due to having to take into account you can get punched, kneed, and kicked in the face.

5. When sparring, I feel somewhat akin to when I used to play those complicated fighting games like Killer Instinct or Tekken and I had no idea how to legitimately do any of the moves so I would mash all the buttons and move the joystick around and hope something sticks.

6. It seems no matter how good of shape you feel you are in, fighting training whether it be grappling or striking always kicks your butt.

2. gocubs1815

gocubs1815 Black Belt

1. Get used to it!
    2. Just work on passing his guard for now
    3. You need to increae your flexibility. Period! Especially in your glute, groin area.
    4. A takedown is a takedown no matter what sport it is. Learn Judo.
    5. :icon_neut
    6. technique and conditioning > size and strenght.

/thread

3. lakergirl52

lakergirl52 Yellow Belt

1. Yup.

2. Get control of their feet, even for a brief moment, throw them to the side, go around them and end up in knee mount. One of my teammates does this every time I play open guard like that.

3. Just keep working on it. I know what you mean.

4. If you want to get good at takedowns, work with a wrestler. Remember you get points for takedowns, and no points for jumping or pulling guard.

5. Try to think about what you are going to do till it becomes second nature. I'm just getting to the point where some of the stuff is becoming second nature and I don't have to check to see if I'm going it right or go "Oh wait, what do I have to do from here?"

6. Roll more. Most common piece of advice on the forum.