Social More Tesla model 3s were sold last month than all models of BMW combined.

Crossovers are now the best selling vehicles after pickup trucks in the US. Here's a sales chart from September (hard to find a graphic of annual tally yet).
a.png

I think if the Model X sales had eclipsed Model S sales the Model Y might have come before the Model 3.
Given the popularity of crossovers then, I don't think the price difference is enough to account for that, as opposed to the issues with the "falcon doors".
I don't think the Model X served as well as a halo product as the Model S.

Crossovers are now the best selling vehicles after pickup trucks in the US. Here's a sales chart from September (hard to find a graphic of annual tally yet).
a.png
This chart is from a Tesla blog fyi, not using actual stats. So definitely grain-of-salt type stuff.
Further confusing the situation is that "sales" here are vastly different for Tesla vs. other companies since those other companies don't have a backlog of deposits/orders to fulfill, so showing 23k in vehicles delivered doesn't show how many people in the month of September went from not buying a Tesla to buying one. The Tesla blogs will naturally write shitloads of articles showing "#1 total revenue for any sedan!" or "more growth than any other brand month to month!" etc... since it's in their best interest.

Last edited:
So they sold more cars than a foreign company in a dying segment in America auto's.
giphy.gif

Exactly what I was thinking.

BREAKING: US consumers no longer interested in passenger cars, only SUVs and Trucks

BREAKING: Tesla is leading the passenger car sales!!!!!!!

I think if the Model X sales had eclipsed Model S sales the Model Y might have come before the Model 3.
Given the popularity of crossovers then, I don't think the price difference is enough to account for that, as opposed to the issues with the "falcon doors".
I don't think the Model X served as well as a halo product as the Model S.
agreed. The whole launch was mismanaged and their assembly line was not up to the task at the time. Apply those lessons so this debut goes flawlessly:
uaxt5ug75ip11.jpg

Yes meeting production targets is their major issue, but selling more Model 3s than all BMW models means they are producing a lot of cars; they are not some small-fry niche manufacturer. Starting a brand new brand from the ground up without any assistance from the big boys is an insurmountably hard thing to do in the auto industry. All the big boys would love to have Tesla's problem of orders surpassing capacity.
Having more orders then you can make can tank you. I am reminded of a small gun manufacturer that made big hunting revolvers. Nice guns, but they had so many orders so quickly that they could not keep up. It got to the point that they closed up shop and only a few hundred were made. https://www.gunsamerica.com/903604677/Century-Model-100-45-70-Revolver-SSA-Style.htm

I cant find a wiki entry, but that is the model they sold.

Exactly what I was thinking.

BREAKING: US consumers no longer interested in passenger cars, only SUVs and Trucks

BREAKING: Tesla is leading the passenger car sales!!!!!!!
The Model 3 is in the top 15 of sales for all vehicles now. A fully electric vehicle. Something people said would never succeed in America. Yet here we are.

This chart is from a Tesla blog fyi, not using actual stats. So definitely grain-of-salt type stuff.
Further confusing the situation is that "sales" here are vastly different for Tesla vs. other companies since those other companies don't have a backlog of deposits/orders to fulfill, so showing 23k in vehicles delivered doesn't show how many people in the month of September went from not buying a Tesla to buying one.
Those "Tesla blogs" pull the data from industry sources otherwise the skeptics shit all over them. By the way, they have not even started delivering 3's in Europe and China yet and by all accounts the demand is even greater there. They have several years of customers locked up and waiting.

The Model 3 is in the top 15 of sales for all vehicles now. A fully electric vehicle. Something people said would never succeed in America. Yet here we are.

You either work for Tesla, or own one and must convince everyone that your purchase was right. There are lots of factors not even discussed; people keep their vehicles longer.

A guy I work with recently got a Model 3. It's really nice, although I was surprised by the absence of anything other than a tablet on the dash. Good for him, it's what he wanted and he was able to get it. Personally, even though I could, I won't spend $60k+ on a vehicle. And I sure as hell wouldn't sit around on a list for over a year to get it.

As you said, you can't produce a chart showing total-year sales, but conclude that on a yearly basis the Model 3 is a top 15 car because a Tesla blog single month sale estimations?
That's the kool-aid hype machine at work.

Based on this article (<linked), if the Model 3 were somehow able to sustain a rate of 23,000 model 3 sales per month for 12 straight months, they would be the 14th best selling car in the US at 274,000 per year. However that's basically impossible because July-September are the highest grossing sales months for cars, and there simply aren't that many people in America to suddenly afford a $50,000 base model, plus the fact their tax credit is going away.
I'm attaching a more recent sales figure from the blog you sourced, which shows they clearly won't be sustaining 23,000 cars a month on the Model 3 in the US. But the fans and media are short on fact and long on excitement, so lots will run with the idea. It's simply a bubble of order backlog. It's still impressive all things considered, but their game with it is to make things EPIC TESLA WINS SO YOULL GO INTO DEBT TO OWN ONE OF OUR SPACE CARS! lol
screenshot-insideevs.com-2019.01.01-18-49-23.png

Those "Tesla blogs" pull the data from industry sources otherwise the skeptics shit all over them. By the way, they have not even started delivering 3's in Europe and China yet and by all accounts the demand is even greater there. They have several years of customers locked up and waiting.
Wait so is Tesla industry or anti-industry?
They "pull" the data from people who work for Tesla who want numbers released but only want positive coverage from allied bloggers.
They've definitely already started selling cars in China. In fact they've had to discount the price thanks to a combination of tariffs, waning demand, and domestic competitors like NIO that also build luxury electric SUVs.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...la-cuts-model-3-prices-in-china-idUSKCN1OM0FU

You either work for Tesla, or own one and must convince everyone that your purchase was right. There are lots of factors not even discussed; people keep their vehicles longer.

A guy I work with recently got a Model 3. It's really nice, although I was surprised by the absence of anything other than a tablet on the dash. Good for him, it's what he wanted and he was able to get it. Personally, even though I could, I won't spend $60k+ on a vehicle. And I sure as hell wouldn't sit around on a list for over a year to get it.

As you said, you can't produce a chart showing total-year sales, but conclude that on a yearly basis the Model 3 is a top 15 car because a Tesla blog single month sale estimations?
That's the kool-aid hype machine at work.

Based on this article (<linked), if the Model 3 were somehow able to sustain a rate of 23,000 model 3 sales per month for 12 straight months, they would be the 14th best selling car in the US at 274,000 per year. However that's basically impossible because July-September are the highest grossing sales months for cars, and there simply aren't that many people in America to suddenly afford a $50,000 base model, plus the fact their tax credit is going away.
I'm attaching a more recent sales figure from the blog you sourced, which shows they clearly won't be sustaining 23,000 cars a month on the Model 3 in the US. But the fans and media are short on fact and long on excitement, so lots will run with the idea. It's simply a bubble of order backlog. It's still impressive all things considered, but their game with it is to make things EPIC TESLA WINS SO YOULL GO INTO DEBT TO OWN ONE OF OUR SPACE CARS! lol
View attachment 498277
For the record, I don't own a Tesla and have no plans to buy an EV unless absolutely forced to. I have only bought cars with manual transmission my whole life so I feel disoriented in an automatic car. I dont WANT Tesla to take over- I have only resigned myself to its inevitability. Doubt the company at your own peril.

Wait so is Tesla industry or anti-industry?
They "pull" the data from people who work for Tesla who want numbers released but only want positive coverage from allied bloggers.
They've definitely already started selling cars in China. In fact they've had to discount the price thanks to a combination of tariffs, waning demand, and domestic competitors like NIO that also build luxury electric SUVs.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...la-cuts-model-3-prices-in-china-idUSKCN1OM0FU
They've started taking orders for the Model 3 in both China and Europe but deliveries are months off.

Back