Social More Tesla model 3s were sold last month than all models of BMW combined.

For some reason this video was recommended to me on youtube....thought this would be a good place to put it.

They're good cars, and it's extremely hard to develop a completely new car. Too bad they didn't foresee one of the pitfalls, production problems.

I am not even sure if they 'did not foresee it'. I think they didn't care about delivery at that point. It's kind of the general start-up logic: Get a minimum viable product (in this case, a luxury long-range electric car), and then grow and become relevant before others do - then think about becoming profitable.

I'm pretty sure it's a dying segment for us manufacturers only

Euros are hurting even worse. They can sell them for a bit longer than Ford or GM because of the inflated profit margins, but they will eventually have to cut them out too. Sedans simply dont make sense in today's market.

For some reason this video was recommended to me on youtube....thought this would be a good place to put it.

every potential buyer already knows about the production deficiencies of the Model 3. Yet they fight tooth and nail to be next in line to buy it. The momentum of the brand propels it- much like what the iPod did to revive the nearly bankrupt Apple back in 2001.

Looks like dogshit side by side with the model S, much more so in person.

The F-150 still dominates the landscape however. 'Murica loves its trucks.
Try hauling a yard of fertilizer uphill in your foofy 'lectric car and you'll know why we love our trucks.

Euros are hurting even worse. They can sell them for a bit longer than Ford or GM because of the inflated profit margins, but they will eventually have to cut them out too. Sedans simply dont make sense in today's market.
Well that's a chart of $100k sedans. I assume there's a lot of $20-40 opels, peugot, and reanaults on the streets in europe

m96jjd.jpg

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/06/tesla-model-3-outsells-entire-bmw-car-lineup/?yptr=yahoo

Musk is doing something right, despite doing a good job of putting his foot in his mouth .

<Y2JSmirk> Don't know if someone mentioned it but the 7k plus tax credit just expired at the end of the year. So might of been people pulling the trigger before the tax credit decreases, this year.

EDIT: ( scratch that ) your op was from September, lol.

m96jjd.jpg

<Y2JSmirk> Don't know if someone mentioned it but the 7k plus tax credit just expired at the end of the year. So might of been people pulling the trigger before the tax credit decreases, this year.
Didn't he say very recently that Tesla would cover the tax credit if the Gov. ended it?

m96jjd.jpg

Didn't he say very recently that Tesla would cover the tax credit if the Gov. ended it?

Maybe covering the difference?? I think there is a credit. But just not for the same amount. Anyway, apparently there is a surplus of lower optioned models. Or something of the sort.

I vaguely remember reading something about it recently.

Maybe covering the difference?? I think there is a credit. But just not for the same amount. Anyway, apparently there is a surplus of lower optioned models. Or something of the sort.

I vaguely remember reading something about it recently.

A blog "leaked" (intentional?) that there are about 3000 Model 3s in sitting inventory right now.
Musk tweeted an advertisement basically stating that if you paid by Jan1 and didn't get delivery, they would basically give you money as if you were getting a rebate. The tax credit for any vehicle delivered after Jan 1 is $3500.
In reality this is pretty confusing because it's a tax CREDIT, so by offering to pay the credit in full Musk/Tesla are actually discounting their product ("We'll pay you $7500 discount if you don't get the credit!" vs "You'll get a $7500 tax credit when you file in 2019!")

Well that's a chart of $100k sedans. I assume there's a lot of $20-40 opels, peugot, and reanaults on the streets in europe
SUV-car-chart.jpeg

this goes for both luxury and economy cars in the US. It's not as drastic yet in Europe but it's already happening:
Chart-1.png

SUV-car-chart.jpeg

this goes for both luxury and economy cars in the US. It's not as drastic yet in Europe but it's already happening:
Chart-1.png
These charts are very misleading. It's not the same as America.
In Europe small and crossover vehicles are way up, large SUVS are down, and compacts still rule.

Showing that compacts only gained 6% between 2014-2015 doesn't show that they're still hugely popular and have consistent sales volumes.

https://uk.motor1.com/news/260701/suv-sales-group-in-europe/

These charts are very misleading. It's not the same as America.
In Europe small and crossover vehicles are way up, large SUVS are down, and compacts still rule.

Showing that compacts only gained 6% between 2014-2015 doesn't show that they're still hugely popular and have consistent sales volumes.

https://uk.motor1.com/news/260701/suv-sales-group-in-europe/
smaller cars by necessity will make up the bulk of European sales due to their roads and regulations. But the broader trend has been compact cars getting taller and resembling squished SUV's. Europe has always been more partial to wagons and hatchbacks anyway so it's a smoother transition. Whereas in America, the default family car for decades has been the sedan.

Making progress from the model X by the looks of it.

Model 3 is not even the main volume seller. The Model Y (the upcoming crossover version of the 3) is the real sales juggernaut. It's silly that Tesla even made the model 3 first when it should have just been the Y. It's the antiquated Gen X mindset of Elon who still thinks sedans are the "default" car shape so felt it was appropriate to launch that first. Same reason Genesis launched with THREE different sedans to abysmal numbers. One luxury SUV could outsell all their sedans but their outdated mindset (and Korean focus groups) thought they needed a sedan.

Well, they made the model X before the model 3. How are cossover SUVs doing in the US?
It had a lot of issues though, whereas the sedan sales have been strong for them.

Making progress from the model X by the looks of it.

Well, they made the model X before the model 3. How are cossover SUVs doing in the US?
It had a lot of issues though, whereas the sedan sales have been strong for them.
Crossovers are now the best selling vehicles after pickup trucks in the US. Here's a sales chart from September (hard to find a graphic of annual tally yet).
a.png

Back