More talented athlete: Usain Bolt or Jon Jones?

Wtf ? Who else have you seen throwing all types of flying knees and kicks and spinning elbows in the LHW division? Jones was doing shit like that in the octagon against top level guys from day one.

The guy is an irrational Jones hater and coincidentally a fanatic of Gustafsson. You are wasting your time with these facts upon him.

when in a couple of years someone who has an even better frame for sprinting and even better juice makes a new world record, how many people will still care about usain bolt?

The guy is an irrational Jones hater and coincidentally a fanatic of Gustafsson. You are wasting your time with these facts upon him.
Yea i figured that, its funny to watch his ignorant replies though.

Wtf ? Who else have you seen throwing all types of flying knees and kicks and spinning elbows in the LHW division? Jones was doing shit like that in the octagon against top level guys from day one.
Diabete?

It's not even comparable. The level of competition in the two respective sports couldn't be further apart. Bolt shits on Jones. And I'm a huge Jones fan

Hard to say. Jones is proven to be on the juice while Bolt is *probably* on the juice because he's the best in the world in a sport that is even more heavily juiced than MMA. It would be like assuming the guy who wins the Tour De France is clean when it's probably 7th or 8th.

I didn't say that sprinting wasn't impressive. What I'm saying is that I'm not as impressed with it as I am a mma fighter.

I'm more impressed with distance runners as well. A sprinter needs great power and obviously there is a little bit of strategy involved as well, but mostly it boils down to the fastest guy winning.

With a distance runner you need endurance, you need to know when to pace yourself, when to go faster, you need to judge what pace to keep compared to the other guys involved in the race etc. In mma you need strength and speed. You also need to know when to conserve energy, how to fight on the ground, standing, grappling etc. You also come in with a game plan and you try to implement it.

I think being an athlete is more than just about speed and power. I consider baseball players great athletes and yet you can be a fatass and still play that sport. Still though, determining in far less than one second whether to swing at a pitch or to take it because it's put of the strike zone, or whether to pull the ball or drive it to the opposite field etc....all of that takes incredible skill and I consider that to be great athleticism in its own way.

So yes...Usain Bolt is amazing. His speed is fucking awesome and I'll enjoy watching him race in the olympics. If he wins will I consider him a greater athlete than say Floyd Mayweather or Mighty Mouse though? No I wont. They may not be able to run a 40 yd dash in the same amount of time as him, but they can sure as hell run a 40 yd dash. Can Usain Bolt stand in the pocket and trade punches with another human being? Who knows. Can he hit a 95 Mph fastball? Probably not. Can he catch a 50 yard touchdown pass with a defensive back drilling him at the line of scrimmage? Who knows.

Here is what my slow white ass knows. I can sprint for 40 yards. Not very fast but I can finish the race. I can even run a marathon. I used to be able to hit a 70 mph fastball lol, so if a MLB pitcher threw only change ups I may be able to make contact. I can even compete in jiu jitsu against some higher level belts than me. I'm a purple belt. I've rolled with black belts who couldn't submit me in the alloted time, even though I was dominated.

But I can't get in a cage and fight the guys Jon Jones has fought. I wouldn't last 30 seconds against shogun, or gus, or Cormier. Unlike those other sports, i cannot physically finish an mma fight. Id be owned so quick it would be hilarious. So based on all of that, I'll say mma guys are superior athletes to sprinters.

Great post, definitely changed my mind on the topic. The only thing I have to say regarding the two individual athletes, not their respective sports, is that Jon Jones is arguable top 3 P4P. Some people say he's #1, some say #2 others don't consider him at all. Whereas with Bolt, there's no discussion. He is the fastest man alive. There's no one arguing that or saying someone else is faster. So considering that, I'd say he's the better athlete. But the harder sport is definitely MMA, and it's not even close

Bolt is literally once ever, in a sport that everyone has access to.

you don't know shit,Bolt has said many times his work ethic could be much better,he's a terrible trainer.

Bolt has the perfect body for the sport ? many will read this and think you know what you're talking about,luckily for me,i heard a real track legend talk about how his size isn't perfect for sprinting.

one is a skilled sport,the other is a pure work sport ?....do you think you turn up with a pair of running shoes,and away you go ?....how long does it take to learn to poke someone in the eye ?

how anyone can think Jones is the more talented,in a time where Bolt's rivals are running the fastest time anyone has ever run,outwith himself,is just dumb.

Either you didn't read my entire post, or you have the reading comprehension of a 5 year old. Probably a combination of the two.

What's so amazingly athletic with baseball? Serious question. Sure, they're great athletes no doubt, but I fail to see what makes them better than top olympic wrestlers, gymnasts, decathletes etc.

There's nothing about the game of baseball that necessitates being a top athlete. But some of the players are indisputably elite athletes.

There's nothing about the game of baseball that necessitates being a top athlete. But some of the players are indisputably elite athletes.

Hand-eye coordination but I guess you can debate whether or not that's a quality necessary for being a top athlete, but they definitely need that more than any other sport.

Two black guys with the same height and weight that have been dominating theirs respective sports these last years and setting records...

Who would u guys pick as the biggest talent?

Is this a joke??

Usain Bolt is arguably the most incredible sportsperson in history.

Jon Jones beat Glover Teixeira on points.

I ask again - is this question a joke?

LMFAO @ people thinking Usain Bolt is natural and that running fast is the only measure of athleticism.

Athleticism includes coordination,endurance,speed,strength,flexibility,etc......Usain bolt only has one of these factors.

Jon Jones has actual prove that he has better coordination,endurance,strength,flexibility,hand speed, etc........The list goes on and on...Usain bolt only has running.

Sprinters are not that good athletes tbh....I seen plenty of sprinters who couldn't cut it in real sports that take coordination and more than 1 athletic attribute.

Top 5 worst post all time on sherdog

Hand-eye coordination but I guess you can debate whether or not that's a quality necessary for being a top athlete, but they definitely need that more than any other sport.

I think you are really missing my point here. It is not that baseball requires greater raw athleticism that other sports, it is that a lot of great athletes play baseball, no doubt because of the monetary incentives to do so.

He is already a legend for those in the know.... Just imagine if he didn't blow his hip to pieces. Such a shame.
@Sgt Smith
I certainly wish we could have seen him perform for longer in his pre-injury form. Losing an athlete of that caliber in the prime of their career is always a bummer from the fan perspective. As well as a huge hit to Bo, I hope the what might have been hasn't haunted the guy too much over the years. He seems to be fine with it from all the post career interviews I've seen him in.

Table tennis players have far superior hand-eye coordination and timing than baseball players. Are they great athletes?

Table tennis players have far superior hand-eye coordination and timing than baseball players. Are they great athletes?

No they don't. They're not hitting a ball moving 95 miles per hour with a bat 3 inches in width

Back