More Soy Discussion with John Berardi

Glen Sonnabend

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
in a post in the followup thread:
John M Berardi said:
There's a difference between SOY FOOD and SOY SUPPLEMENTS. And we're suggesting that SOY FOOD in moderation is fine while SOY SUPPLEMENTS should be avoided.

Definitely a good read. I never knew milk and dairy could lower testosterone. Makes me wonder about other foods effects on test.

Ha - on a much more personal note, I'm making an appointment to get a good ol' semen analysis done. My wife is trying to get pregnant and she's looking normal (she's vegan, and eats soy too) and of course I've been vegan with soy in my life for 11 years.

I'll let you know how it comes back, ha! Oh yeah - I've knocked someone else up before too, and I was vegan. So we're thinking it might be one of those timing issues, but we'll see for sure soon.

^ His GMO argument is bunk. Roundup Ready soybeans are the only common GMO soybean, and they are only cost effective to grow in problem fields. After a year or two of Roundup Ready soybeans it is no longer a problem field and the farmer can go back to growing cheaper soybeans.

I don't know if Roundup Ready soybeans are rated for human consumption or not.

His other points sound good though. Out of my field to judge.

Good article. His points on milk scared me a bit. Im embarrased that I never thought about it before.

Good to have an article like that kicking around.

The milk section pissed me off. Here I was thinking that milk is doing me good but it's filling me up with estrogen? I need to meet a farmer who can provide me with hormone free raw milk. Fuck you modern milk!!!!

^ His GMO argument is bunk. Roundup Ready soybeans are the only common GMO soybean, and they are only cost effective to grow in problem fields. After a year or two of Roundup Ready soybeans it is no longer a problem field and the farmer can go back to growing cheaper soybeans.

I don't know if Roundup Ready soybeans are rated for human consumption or not.

His other points sound good though. Out of my field to judge.

Mercola is one of the reasons why there has been so much progress on debunking the lipid hypothesis. I disagree with him sometimes too, but I highly respect his opinion.

I made a comment about the Q&A not being up to date some months ago, this just brings up the point ones again.

I made a comment about the Q&A not being up to date some months ago, this just brings up the point ones again.

I had left it for KK to update, since he is more informed in that department than me; I'm not making excuses for him, but his training schedule is fairly damn heavy these days, and scouring D&S for soy articles is probably not high on his prioroty list.

I'll link Berardi's original article (which I posted here, if anyone missed it.) into the FAQ and update it.

Hey thanks for being resonable. It's not easy to defend the awsome powers of veganism on a martial arts forum ;-)

berardi is a great author. you guys should read his books. they can really help you with dieting for a competition

Ha - on a much more personal note, I'm making an appointment to get a good ol' semen analysis done. My wife is trying to get pregnant and she's looking normal (she's vegan, and eats soy too) and of course I've been vegan with soy in my life for 11 years.

I'll let you know how it comes back, ha! Oh yeah - I've knocked someone else up before too, and I was vegan. So we're thinking it might be one of those timing issues, but we'll see for sure soon.
Well, here I am - back with my results. My wife just spoke to her doctor and to quote her "Your husband has very viable and strong swimmers!" Ha! So I suppose this is good news. She told my wife "So it sounds like you just have to relax and it will happen for you."

I know that we're just two vegans, but I just wanted to follow up. My wife has been vegetarian off and on for about 14 years and now been vegan for two. I've been vegan for 11 and we both eat/drink soy products.

Take what you will from this information, but we're both happy about it :- )

Thanks for the update Noise; your input here as a vegan athlete is appreciated.

Back