More possible improvement and adjustments: Jones or DC?

Gregoire1

дезоксерибонулеиновая кислота
@purple
Reaction score
After first fight between them who has more potential and things to improve before second fight? Who are more capable of doing better adjustments?

I say DC. He has all the talent in the world, just needs to build up his skill set and tactics. JJ on the other hand has already maxed out as a striker, for example.

I say DC. He has all the talent in the world, just needs to build up his skill set and tactics. JJ on the other hand has already maxed out as a striker, for example.

Jones hasn't maxed out anywhere. He could clearly improve boxing defense, bjj and plenty of other things things.

If anything DC is maxed out because of his limited reach and size

Jones has youth, stamina, reach and speed to work with. Higher ceiling despite already being better. Also higher fight IQ. Also made DC cry. Also better camp. Only barrier is motivation and coke.

Jones dirty boxing improved by leaps for the Glover fight. His ability to fight off the backfoot was improved against DC.

Jones is def. not stagnating in his striking. There's still plenty of room for improvement.

DC on the other hand, has yet to show noticeable improvements in the last year or so. Not a terrible thing as he has solid fundamentals boxing-wise and elite wrestling.

JJ has maxed out the use of his height and reach, which is were his advantage lies. Eventually diminishing returns on that.

The fuck you talkin bout?

JJ has maxed out the use of his height and reach, which is were his advantage lies. Eventually diminishing returns on that.
He isn't getting taller or growing longer limbs, but that is stupid to say. IF he didn't utilize the clinch like he does, meaning he was at a disadvantage in close, you might say that. But even then there is nothing stopping him from learning that. The point is, he has the reach, and therefore that much more room to develop striking techniques. It is a compounding, exponential tool he can use that DC cannot.

So basically, the fucking opposite. DC will suffer the diminishing returns due to his smaller frame.

Jones easily, just imagine if he wasn't in love with the coco

He isn't getting taller or growing longer limbs, but that is stupid to say. IF he didn't utilize the clinch like he does, meaning he was at a disadvantage in close, you might say that. But even then there is nothing stopping him from learning that. The point is, he has the reach, and therefore that much more room to develop striking techniques. It is a compounding, exponential tool he can use that DC cannot.

So basically, the fucking opposite. DC will suffer the diminishing returns due to his smaller frame.

I guess anything is possible blort... GSP could could have developed a faster striking, and better head movement and become a gifted striker ala Anderson Silva. Did he?
Will JJ all of a sudden become an AS type striker too? Answer Depends on whether I'm a JJ fanboy

This isn't a direct answer to the post but It's somewhat related.

I think it's intriguing that if Cormier can beat Gustafsson he will have built a lot of momentum and confidence while gaining good experience from facing the best of the best in the LHW division.

Who knows? The decision loss to Jones, Johnson fight and Gus fight could definitely help build him as a martial artist.

A well prepared Cormier, determined to keep his belt facing a Jones who's worlds been topsy turvy plus cage rust is an interesting fight.

For the record I would still bet on Jon Jones but it's something to think about imo.

I guess anything is possible blort... GSP could could have developed a faster striking, and better head movement and become a gifted striker ala Anderson Silva. Did he?
Will JJ all of a sudden become an AS type striker too? Answer Depends on whether I'm a JJ fanboy
There's two parts to this topic if you want to take it there. Potential and probability. Jones has both vs DC. No, it isn't likely that Jones gets tons better, but he certainly gets better than DC both theoretically and in reality. You were wrong, that doesn't make the right a fanboy.

Last edited:
DC did so many obvious mistakes in Jones fight that I seriously question his fight IQ and ability to adjust for the second fight.

And Jones both got the measure of him and will probably get to fight a rematch when DC, who was no spring chicken to begin with, would be even older and further away from his athletic peak.

So, despite me rooting for DC, my pick for better improvements is on Jones.

I think Jones might be even better in his first fight after striping and resting...

Back