More coveted: Heavyweight Champion or "P4P" Champion

blah_blah619

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
i think it's obvious here. i remember growing up never even hearing people argue about who the P4P best was, now its the complete opposite. makes you miss the early 90's when heavyweights were ruling the boxing world.

Depends where the $$$$$$$ is........

Right now the p4p guys are the big earners (Pac, Mayweather), but traditionally it is the HW.

I'm sure Wlad and Vitali are more than happy with their current status.

The heavyweight division is boxing's most marketable division. It tends to be easier to rattle off the great heavyweight champions for most people (die hards not included).

The HW champ is the greatest title one could hold. Nation hold the champ to icon status, country want the HW champ to rep their country more then anything else.

Its been attributed to John L. Sullivan that he would walk into a saloon and proclaim:
"I can lick any sonuvabitch in the house"!
I can see Joe Frazier or Mike Tyson backing it up but not Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao.

The best boxers have probably always been in the lower weight classes from a purist's standpoint but the public will always have a fascination with HWs. These days since a couple of Russian dudes dominate the HW scene and most talented big men in the US go to other sports, there is less domestic interest and conversation.

Attention was starting to drift away from HWs and toward the little guys heavily in about the late 70s on.

HW isn't where the money's at anymore, which is what matters. It used to be smaller guys would bulk up to fight at HW for a payday, but not so much now.

Attention was starting to drift away from HWs and toward the little guys heavily in about the late 70s on.

HW isn't where the money's at anymore, which is what matters. It used to be smaller guys would bulk up to fight at HW for a payday, but not so much now.

I'm pretty sure Tyson outdrew everyone by far in the 80s.

I'm pretty sure, even in the 90s, the HW were the top drawers (Holyfield, Bowe, Lewis, Tyson).......(although De La Hoya kinda broke the mould DLH-Trinidad was pretty big)

In the 2000s, the lighter guys took over, mainly due to the lack of talent (especially American) in the HW ranks..........that said I'm going to guess Tyson-Lewis out drew any fight besides De La Hoya-Mayweather.............

p4p.....

I haven't payed any attention to the HW's since the early 90's.

I'm pretty sure Tyson outdrew everyone by far in the 80s.

I'm pretty sure, even in the 90s, the HW were the top drawers (Holyfield, Bowe, Lewis, Tyson).......(although De La Hoya kinda broke the mould DLH-Trinidad was pretty big)

In the 2000s, the lighter guys took over, mainly due to the lack of talent (especially American) in the HW ranks..........that said I'm going to guess Tyson-Lewis out drew any fight besides De La Hoya-Mayweather.............
I agree with this, I believe P4P came about when the heavyweight division lost Tyson and believe it or not Lennox Lewis. In my opinion it is the state of the heavyweight division that has caused talk of P4P

HW obviously.

The average person doesn't care about a 140lb athlete regardless of 'P4P' status.

This is applicable to most sports.

i think it's obvious here. i remember growing up never even hearing people argue about who the P4P best was, now its the complete opposite. makes you miss the early 90's when heavyweights were ruling the boxing world.

when you were growing americans did well at heavyweight

Back